CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Painted my Allante!!!

Ed Hall

The black looks great to me, hard to keep clean but nice. The pearl is nice, but personally I dont like two-tone. Your original color is nice also. What year is it? I recall they had problems with the convertible top leaking was that resolved? I would love one of those! Is is quick?

You're right, Mike...nothing looks nicer than a black vehicle when it is taken care of. I had a 1972 Cutlass Supreme that was painted with 5 coats of Sikkens True Black paint, and 9 coats of clear. Looked like you could stick your hand right in the paint. Of course it was a sunny Sunday driver. The problem with black cars is fine scratches that make the finish look dull, or even worse swirls. Of course these come from improper care of the paint, but you see it 99% of the time.

Charles

Charles

I HAVE A `93 ALLANTE AND A `98 ETC, BASICLY THE SAME MOTOR. THE ALLANTE IS A FEW HUNDRED POUNDS LIGHTER AND IT IS NOTICEABLY QUICKER THAN MY ETC. IF YOU THINK YOU HAVE TORQUE STEER IN YOUR NORTHSTAR POWERED CADDIES, ITS NOTHING COMPARED TO WHAT HAPPENS TO THE NORTHSTAR POWERED ALLANTE WHEN YOU WOT.

The pearl white always captured me, and I thought about pearl white, rather than the crimson pearl for my choice when buying the STS. There is just something about the Allante's lines and pearl white, and I do not like white cars.

Unlike the rest of the Caddy techs, I loved doing warrenty work on the Allante. (Heck! I loved doing all warrenty glasswork because I could beat the clock on all of it.) The Allante, however, was my favorite car by far, unmatched by anything on the market. GM warrenty paid 5.4 or 5.9 on the windsheild. I could do the w/s in a little over 30 minutes, working at $16.50 a flat-rate hour. That's about $195 an hour and, because GM required us to clock in and out on warrenty jobs, I had to do some major bench warming and filter in some cash paid's.

The black looks really nice,

I'm repainting my Caddy this spring black again.....gonna dread cleaning it so much harder. :(

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

• 1 month later...

Is there a reason why the wheels are like that? Or is that a dumb question!!! LOL :lol:

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Ed, the silver looks pretty sharp and is my #2 vote. I think the black would put it over the top and gets my vote for the #1 spot. Definitely a winner. In my humble opinion 2 tones have a dated look as well as fashion colors like that school bus yellow and teal from the 80's (good god that was an ugly color). But I think any color looks good or decent with a nice shine......except teal. :lol:

adallak's red suggestion would look sharp too.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Thanks for all the replies. I'm most likely going to keep my Allante the original color and paint the bottom black panels the same color as the rest of the car. It is much easier to keep it the original color and silver seems to be the style now. Before I paint the car, I'm going to tackle the interior. The leather is in bad condition so I bought some burgundy leather to redue the seats and other miscellaneous parts. I'm going to sew the seats with black leather in the middle and burgundy along the sides.

IPB Image

Archived