CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

95 sts shifting problems

my caddy was driving fine one day and then the next day it wouldnt go over 40 or shift right , i thought it was the shift solenoids but i took it all apart and they where in good shape and ohmed out good per specs , i put it all back together and it does the same thing . could it be the pcm or how do i test it to see if its the pcm . any help would be great thanks

The PCM rarely gives trouble on Cadillacs.

Are there any messages on the driver's information console? Are any warning lights on? Does the car seem to hang in low gear? What is happening to keep it under 40 mph?

You should get a pencil and paper, run the OBD codes, and post them here. The OBD codes will amost certainly tell us what is happening with your transmission.

You run the OBD codes by pressing buttons on the A/C console, then watching them scroll past on the driver's information console. Start them by turning on the ignition, then pressing OFF and PASS WARMER together for a few seconds until all the dash lights come on like you just turn the key on, then release both buttons. The driver's information console will show the codes for each module, then stop with the prompt "PCM?" at which time you can exit the diagnostic mode by pressing the AUTO knob, pressing Info Reset, or turning off the key. Or, you can press OFF and the car's computer will start over listing the codes.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

my caddy was driving fine one day and then the next day it wouldnt go over 40 or shift right , i thought it was the shift solenoids but i took it all apart and they where in good shape and ohmed out good per specs , i put it all back together and it does the same thing . could it be the pcm or how do i test it to see if its the pcm . any help would be great thanks

im sorry i thought i posted it , it is p029 witch says its a shorted b shift solenoid , but i took the valve body out and ohmed them out and had 26-27 ohms , on a and b . the book says as long as they are between 19-31 ohms they are good . so now it seams the problem lies between the trans and the pcm unless there is somthing between there.

Describe issue. It won't go over 40mph? It won't shift right? Do u think trans starts in1st gear? It shifts to 2 or 3 but not OD? I assume fluid looks ok? U put old fluid back in when u put pan back on?

• 1 year later...

Clean the trans. fluid from the connector as a first step and see if that cures the problem.

One of the solenoids could be damaged and not allowing the solenoid to actuate. Another possibility is a cut/torn 4th gear accululator piston ring - but unless you've had the accumulator apart, this would be a remote possibility.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

well I have not torn into the trans yet. just kind of learning what to look for. I didn't know if the oil in that connector would effect the computer at all or not? another issue when shifted into reverse it acts like a brake is on have to be heavy on the throttle to move and when let off stops immediately.

Please run the OBD codes and post them here. You need a diagnosis before you buy parts or take the transmission apart.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived