CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 Deville tcc solenoid..

pauld

Problems... TCC solenoid stuck or broke ! not engaging ! I undestand the procedure to replace it.. not an easy job but i have a well equiped shop. I don't want to part out my 96 deville.. love the car.. Is there a way to send voltage to just the tcc solenoid to try and free it up ? I've done this with other solenoids in the past with luck ! Is there a pin in the connector "wire harness" plug that i can isolate the tcc solenoid ?? Guess if i have to I'll drop the cradle and replace the solenoid .... OUCH !

Check your codes and post them back.

If you only have the P0741 code and the P1860 code is not also set, the issue is the seals in the torque converter apply circuit. They are letting excessive fluid by and the torque converter is slipping more than 200 RPM which is the threshold in the PCM. The excessive slippage will set the P0741 code and turn on the Service Engine Soon light.

The fix involves removing the transmission and replacing the seals in the torque converter apply circuit, replacing the torque converter and the TCC solenoid. A transmission shop can do that for around $1200.00. While the side cover is off, I'd replace the filter. You don't need to have the trans. rebuilt.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Where are seals in torque apply circuit? In side cover valve body area? I had my lower valve body off and that VB is simple compared to side VB.

Looking at the 1997 Unit Repair Manual for transmissions, section 7A7B for the 4T80E, the seal locator on page 7A7B-10 doesn't identify specific TCC seals. The TCC explanation of operation on page 7A7B-160 with very complex color diagram on page 7A7B-161 shows that the torque converter O-ring is involved, Other than seals within the torque converter itself, I can't tell what other seals might be involved. Someone with 4T80E Goodwrench education and/or teardown experience might be able to tell you more. But I do believe that you will need a new torque converter because there is a pressure plate and clutch inside the torque converter; if it slips too much it is gone, and that is likely when driving with the P0741 code any distance at all.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

My tcc is fixed !!! as it turns out... on top of a bad connection to the trans wire harness... i had a bad brake switch !! stuck on and i didn't notice it .. tcc solenoid wont engage if the circuit is open !!

Love my caddy !!

Wow, excellent! I thought that you had the dreaded P0741.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

wish my deville was that easy. I have the 0741 only. it sucks because I love my Deville and am unsure what to do at this point other than keep driving it

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

My tcc is fixed !!! as it turns out... on top of a bad connection to the trans wire harness... i had a bad brake switch !! stuck on and i didn't notice it .. tcc solenoid wont engage if the circuit is open !!

Love my caddy !!

Were the brake lights operating properly? There are multiple contacts on the brake switch - it is possible the brake lights were still functioning and the portion that controlled the TCC was defective.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

my brake lites were on and i didn't notice it ! stupid me... all i had to do was look in the r/v mirror and chck the fiber optics on the headliner... replaced the shift solenoids last year and wasn't looking forward to doing the tcc soleniod.. the car is in perfect condition with only 140000 miles..

LUCKY !!

Archived