CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Smooth Tires & Headlight uprade for 06 SRX?

stormytown

I am adding a 06 SRX AWD to my "stable". The vehicle need new tires. I put Michelin Pilots on my 06 DTS, and while they have worn and handle very well, they seem to have more road noise and road feel than the almost new Firestone tires that were on it when I bought it. Most of our driving is Interstate cruising. We are looking for a soft and quiet ride. My question is.... I still have these Firestone tires wrapped up in the garage (235-65, 17"). Could I put these all the way around on the SRX? I understand that the SRX comes with staggered sizes (60's in the back). We are not agressive drivers, and are interested in a soft, smooth "old cadillac style" ride. We love the ride of our 2002 SLS with Michelin Symetries. What are the thoughts on this?

The other question I have is that I understand that my 06 SRX does not come with HID Headlights. Are there good, safe, and reliable upgrades for that? I want as much time to dodge the deer on the roads here in Iowa as I can get. I would appreciate any advice on this.

Steve in Iowa

2002 SLS

2006 DTS

2006 SRX

When converting tungsten-halogen headlights to HID, the first thing that you are going to run into is the daytime running system. On many GM cars, the daytime running lights are the high beam headlights on 3/4 power, and you can't run HID headlights on 3/4 power. Also, hours are very important in HID lamps because they burn out in less of them than tungsten-halogen bulbs, so you don't want to run them at full power for daytime running lights. And, tungsten-halogen bulbs run at 3/4 power last just about forever. So, if your car has a daytime running light feature, you will need to disable it to use HID headlights. Given that, there are lots of kits out there that offer conversions.

All the major tire manufacturers offer different tire lines for different cars and different tastes. Michelin Pilots are intended for performance over smoothness, quietness or ride, for example; Michelin sells tires much more aligned to your tastes than the Pilot series. I suggest the you use the tire selection guide on The Tire Rack's web site, because it allows you to search over any brand that they carry, which is nearly all of them. Michelin, Goodyear and others have similar tire selection guides on their web sites that are more focused if you know which brand of tires you want to go with.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I would NOT recommend mixing tire sizes - That will affect handling, etc. at all speeds, regardless if you're not an agressive driver. AWD vehicles are sensitive to tire movement and if you have the incorrect size tires on one half of the vehicle, the relative rotation rates will be different and can cause premature wear to the tires and the drivetrain components.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin.... Yes, I understand. However this vehicle comes from the factory with different size tires on the front and back.

Steve

Steve,

The DTS tires are all the same size correct? The SRX is designed for different size front/back and installing 4 tires that are all the same size may cause drivetrain problems on the SRX. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I think the SRX uses 235/65-17 in the front and 255/60-17 in the rear...

I would look on TIRERACK.COM and check the outside circumference of the factory tires and the outside circumference of the tires from your DTS.

"IF" they are the same...(and I think they are)... I don't see any problem with using them.

Posted Image

Yes, the factory standard tires are 65's in the front and 60's in the back. Much has been written online about 65's all around work fine with no handling or drivetrain problems. However, I got to looking and found that the tires that came off my DTS are 55's.... so, I guess it is new tires for me. The 65's are at least a little cheaper than the 55's it looks like.

The no HID Headlights bum me out a bit. Are there any good standard bulb upgrades that would help out?

Steve

2002 SLS

2006 DTS

2006 SRX

Archived