CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1998 STS Overheating at low speed

BIGBrandon2785

My car is overheating at about 20 MPH or under,but when I increase speed or turn on the heat,the temp goes down.It also only does it when ive been driving it for a while (like 30 minutes+).

I had the same problem a while back and I put in a new thermostat and it seemed to fix the problem.Im wondering if something can make the thermostat go bad??

Run your OBD codes and post them here. Big Jim is quite likely right, in my opinion, but the codes will tell the tale.

Right now, you can check and make sure that your coolant level is OK and that you are running 50-50 antifreeze mix.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Obviously check your coolant level.

Overheating can damage a thermostat or at the very least disturb its calibration

Check your water pump belt for slippage and for proper tension being applied by the tensioner

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 3 weeks later...

We're looking for codes that say something about the cooling fans. These are codes that won't be reported by many code readers, but that will be shown if you display them on the DIC using the A/C buttons to run the codes right from the car. Are you running the codes from the A/C buttons, and your only code is a P0301?

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

We're looking for codes that say something about the cooling fans. These are codes that won't be reported by many code readers, but that will be shown if you display them on the DIC using the A/C buttons to run the codes right from the car. Are you running the codes from the A/C buttons, and your only code is a P0301?

No,I read it from a hand held code reader.(oops)..............How do I get the codes from the A/C buttons??

With the key on, press <Off> and <Pass Warmer> together for about five seeconds, until all the dash lights come on like you just turned the key on, then release them and watch the messages on the DIC. This puts the DIM into the diagnostic mode. It polls the car's modules, one at a time, and reports either messages like "NO PCM CODES" or lists them, as in "PCM P0430 CURRENT" and such. The best time to run the codes is right after you have a problem, or after driving but before turning off the key. Once you turn off the key, all the CURRENT codes go to HISTORY and you won't see a code listed as CURRENT unless the problem is detected when you turn the key on.

No,I read it from a hand held code reader.(oops)..............How do I get the codes from the A/C buttons??

The best (most reliable) way to check cooling fan(s) operation is by looking. You might need a bright flashlight.

Below are the instructions for code display on your year/model

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

DTC display; 1998-2004 Seville and 2000-2005 Deville

Use the 3 switches located to the right of the Driver Information Center (DIC) to activate and respond to the OBD prompts on the DIC.

ON/OFF = YES

INFO RESET = NO

INFO DOWN or INFO UP = manual toggle

Ignition ON, acknowledge any warning messages; press ON/OFF and INFO UP together for 2 to 3 seconds. Everything in front of you lights up for 4 or 5 seconds, then you will see:

Display shows "ALL?"

Answering YES will display "ALL CODES?"

Answering YES will run automatic test sequence and display codes, if any. Systems and codes will scroll faster than I am able to read them and write them; not to worry.

"ALL CLEAR CODES?" will display at the end of the automatic test. If you are satisfied you have the information you need, answer YES

to clear/erase all error codes.

Answering "ALL?" with INFO DOWN will toggle systems test manually in order.

Answering "ALL?" with INFO UP will toggle system test manually in reverse order.

Press INFO RESET to reset DIC to "ALL?" to start again.

Ignition OFF to exit.

SYSTEMS: (as of 1998)

ABS (Antilock Brake System)

AMP (Amplifier)

DDM (Door Driver Module)

DIM (Dash Integration Module)

IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster)

IPM (Instrument Panel Module)

IRC (Integrated Radio Module)

PCM (Powertrain Control Module)

RFA (Remote Function Actuation)

RIM (Rear Integration Module)

SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module) Includes airbag crash data. Under RF seat of Seville.

VTD (Vehicle Theft Deterrent)

MSM (Memory Seat Module)

TTM (Tilt/Telescoping Module)

RSS (Road Sensing Suspension)

last edited 12/27/04 jwd

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Misfire can be due to coolant leaking into cylinder. Overheating can be due to low coolant issues. But overheating in caddy is rarely a serious issue.

JimD - thanks. Apparenlty the <Pass Warmer> button for starting the diagnostic mode went out of style after 1997.

Archived