CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

out for a little fun

airmike

Tomorrow a.m. I am taking the xlr-v out to play! I have a roadrunner, an 07 shelby mustang (claimed 650 rwhp) and a new shelby mustang supposed to come out. My v is very good off the line as a street car. Mustangs are notoriously hard to get launched on street tires, so I expect to be ahead of any of them for an unknown amount of time. I am sure they can run me down, the question is, can they do it before the quarter mile ends on street tires. The last time I went out to play like this I had the top down and the ac on with a supercharged ls1 trans am chasing me. He caught me around 110-115 mph.

I would like to hear any thoughts ahead of time. We have a road all ready and waiting for us so we can stay safe.

Leave the A/C off. Check the owner's manual about how to handle the launch and tranny. Ultra-high-performance tires will help but the launch technique will change from what works with lesser tires. Watch out for slick spots like paint, variations on the surface, or spots that were used for hot launches by other cars within the last week or two.

If at all possible, use a sanctioned venue like a blocked road and law enforcement involvement, like a sanctioned event. This type of thing also will include safety inspections of the involved roads and surfaces for safety, approval of the shoulders, ditches, and other near-track areas in case of loss of control or tire problems, spectator location and safety, and timing equipment.

The launch areas of drag strips are really slippery compared to the same surface in areas that aren't used for constant launches. This can be a real advantage for FWD over RWD because RWD depends on weight transfer for launches, which isn't forthcoming on slick surfaces. Mustang still uses a solid axle, which gives them tow-step-coordinated wheel hop on top of it all.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Back from playtime. I had this little get together with the intentions of finding out if I could get far enough in front of a shelby off the line to hold him off for a quarter mile run. Our agreement was for him to run original tires, HE DIDN"T I would not have drove over there for that because I already knew I cant compete with them on slicks. Guess he didn't care about having a good race, just wanted to win. Oh well I been beat before and I wasn't going back home now with out racing. He offered to put the street tires on if he beat me too bad, yeah right. Just like I knew, I couldn't get a big start. Best start I'm ahead maybe 1 1/2 cars, worst 1/2 car. He passed me by 80-85 mph then ran away, probably 5-6 car lengths.

The roadrunner had slicks too. and nitrous Ok what the heck. I get behind him from the start and ran him down the first race. Next race is a dead heat and the 3rd he gets if front about a car and thats where he stayed.

A dodge srt 10 pickup shows up so he's next. Hey no slicks!! No contest either. I win by 8-10 more? gave him a rolling start even once. That was sweet since he did the same to me a couple years ago in my trans am, with his cobra.

Well I didn't really get to find out if I can hold a shelby off with oem tires. A good time was had by all and they were nice guys to play with even if they didn't want to play fair

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. Hope everyone enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing. Good to blow the carbon out now and then.

Yes Bruce they were built with horsepower and I can't understand people that buy a 300 plus horsepower vehicle and say

"I would never treat my car like that" . I tried to get a guy I know to bring his new camaro to play and that was his response. Might as well have a 6 cylinder. I do understand wanting a car that looks like that, but not getting a big motor. Of course the 6 cylinders are over 300 hp now. I don't want to flog it every day and tear it up either but the garage is where mine stays not where it LIVES.

Thanks for sharing. Good to blow the carbon out now and then.

Yes Bruce they were built with horsepower and I can't understand people that buy a 300 plus horsepower vehicle and say

"I would never treat my car like that" . I tried to get a guy I know to bring his new camaro to play and that was his response. Might as well have a 6 cylinder. I do understand wanting a car that looks like that, but not getting a big motor. Of course the 6 cylinders are over 300 hp now.

I don't want to flog it every day and tear it up either but the garage is where mine stays not where it LIVES.

Exactly... :):)

Posted Image

Fun to hear those stories!

We had one this last week here in town that's not fun to hear. The kids go out street racing at night and apparently a sts-v with a drunk 24 year old driver and 4 other people in the car doing well over 100mph hit a non racing SUV drunk driver and the STS rolled ejecting 3 people killing the driver. Nobody was wearing seatbelts.

Win or lose if everyone and the cars made it home safe then it was a good time :)

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Archived