CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Took 600 mile trip

Scotty

I had to take my son back to college yesterday in a very heavy driving rain storm in the northeast. :unsure: Needless to say I was concerned about the heavy end of holiday traffic, kooks and the weather. :unsure:

Before I started out, I had to replace the RF wheel well inspection covers (2) so that the heavy rain didn't soak my belts, battery, etc. I had them off to work on the AC.

Over the last 3 weeks I have been getting a Service Emissions message and the EGR pindle code (forget number). The day before the trip it was coming on every 5 minutes. I added a small plastic tube of Lucas injector cleaner, its a yellow oily looking substance not the clear solvent look of STP, etc. Amazingly the Service Emissions message did not show up the entire day, can anyone explain that? B)

Before you all get started about INJECTOR CLEANER, I never use it as a preventative because of the potential of fuel pump and injector winding damage and ONLY use it when I am taking a long trip where the gas tank will empty quickly and be refilled and then only the Lucas oil based type.

On the trip home I noticed that the car was very peppy and smooth which could be the result of a few things 1) the 300 mile trip up, 2) the Lucas, 3) the fact that the temp was 40 degrees creating dense damp air that I possibly experienced for the first time this year, and 4) I inflated the tires to 35/33.

I recall my Dad commenting on the damp dense night air and its incredible positive impact on our Caddys when I was a kid and have experienced it myself. Last night it felt like the smoothness, power, and effortless acceleration was at a premium and it was exhilerating.

I used the cruise control set between 55 and 67 the entire time, averaged 47 MPH (with pit stops, side streets and traffic on the way up) coming home in perfect weather at 1 AM with no cars on the road at all and got 23.4 MPG for the entire trip (including the traffic on the trip up). I love the cruise control feature where you can increase and decrease your speed at 1 MPH increments with a push of your finger, amazing. If you want to increase from 62 to 65, no problem 3 pushes with your finger, BAM 65..... yea!

One of the problems with driving at 1 AM with no one on the road is that you are a HUGE target for police if you are speeding as you stick out like a sore thumb.. Troopers swooped down on me from behind on numerous times checked me out and moved on, if I am doing 80 I am toast....The Cruise Control was my shield... :lol: I just adjusted the seats and held on for 300 miles

This car is amazing, it seems to be at home swooping down the highway with the cruise control accelerating so accurately to maintain speed on hills. I got a chance to see the Traction Control message and heard the ABS in heavy rain numerous times at highway speeds. I have to get it better tires for wet weather. :rolleyes: The car is amazing that is all I have to say! :)

:blink: Oh about the Kooks, one went by me IN THE HEAVY RAIN in some Japanese burner at about 75 and zig-zagged across three lanes violently and did not lose it, I still can't figure that one out, yes he was an a** hole kook but the car handled a move that SHOULD have spun him, he must have had some tires on that thing.... The kook impressed me :blink:

Yes, I love the cruise control on my caddy. Its so smooth and effortless, a feature I use all the time.

I love the cruise control feature where you can increase and decrease your speed at 1 MPH increments with a push of your finger, amazing. If you want to increase from 62 to 65, no problem 3 pushes with your finger, BAM 65..... yea!

Does my STS have this feature?

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

One of the problems with driving at 1 AM with no one on the road is that you are a HUGE target for police if you are speeding as you stick out like a sore thumb.. Troopers swooped down on me from behind on numerous times checked me out and moved on, if I am doing 80 I am toast....

I think at 1:00 AM, the cops were probably checking to see how you were driving. If you would have been weaving, they would have pulled you over and given you a sobriety test.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Yes, I love the cruise control on my caddy. Its so smooth and effortless, a feature I use all the time.

I love the cruise control feature where you can increase and decrease your speed at 1 MPH increments with a push of your finger, amazing. If you want to increase from 62 to 65, no problem 3 pushes with your finger, BAM 65..... yea!

Does my STS have this feature?

Yes it does! While it is engaged you can increase your speed 1 MPH faster by pressing the ENGAGE button and decrease your speed 1 MPH by pressing the RESUME button (or visa versa I can't remember) Try experimenting its a great feature that I did not know about until I read the manual, :lol:

One of the problems with driving at 1 AM with no one on the road is that you are a HUGE target for police if you are speeding as you stick out like a sore thumb..  Troopers swooped down on me from behind on numerous times checked me out and moved on, if I am doing 80 I am toast....

I think at 1:00 AM, the cops were probably checking to see how you were driving. If you would have been weaving, they would have pulled you over and given you a sobriety test.

Do you think with the road empty they would have overlooked reasonable speeding if I was driving fine? I tried to go 9 MPH over the limit and it was not a problem. A lot of the trip was 65 and I was set at 74. I love this car, its amazing...

Yes it does! While it is engaged you can increase your speed 1 MPH faster by pressing the ENGAGE button and decrease your speed 1 MPH by pressing the RESUME button (or visa versa I can't remember) Try experimenting its a great feature that I did not know about until I read the manual, :lol:

It is actually the opposite... tapping the engage would decrease your speed by 1 mph. I am surprised that a lot of people don't know this, GM has had this feature for at least 10-15 years. I use it all the time also. When someone sees me pushing away at the button when the speed limit goes from 55 to 65 they ask me what I'm doing. :rolleyes: Hey, you never have to lift your foot, or even look down at the speedo! B)

On a related topic, I once had a Trans Am and I had an aftermarket Sears cruise-control unit installed. I came up on slow traffic and tapped the brakes to disengage it. I pushed resume when I was pulling around the last car and soon realized I was going almost 80 MPH! I tapped the brakes, even shut the switch off and it kept climbing! :o I had to turn the ignition off completely to stop it! I promptly returned it to Sears of course, and the replaced the entire electronic unit, saying it was defective... Yes, I would say so! :blink:

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Yes it does!  While it is engaged you can increase your speed 1 MPH faster by pressing the ENGAGE button and decrease your speed 1 MPH by pressing the RESUME button (or visa versa I can't remember)  Try experimenting its a great feature that I did not know about until I read the manual,  :lol:

It is actually the opposite... tapping the engage would decrease your speed by 1 mph. I am surprised that a lot of people don't know this, GM has had this feature for at least 10-15 years. I use it all the time also. When someone sees me pushing away at the button when the speed limit goes from 55 to 65 they ask me what I'm doing. :rolleyes: Hey, you never have to lift your foot, or even look down at the speedo! B)

On a related topic, I once had a Trans Am and I had an aftermarket Sears cruise-control unit installed. I came up on slow traffic and tapped the brakes to disengage it. I pushed resume when I was pulling around the last car and soon realized I was going almost 80 MPH! I tapped the brakes, even shut the switch off and it kept climbing! :o I had to turn the ignition off completely to stop it! I promptly returned it to Sears of course, and the replaced the entire electronic unit, saying it was defective... Yes, I would say so! :blink:

Imagine an out of control cruise control, wow... Thanks, I always mix up which accelerates and which decelerates the engine, and usually push the wrong one first, its a mental block... :blink:

I much prefer the cruise control controls on the steering wheel...like Ford has done for years, and like what GM is now finally starting to do. Alternatively, put the cruise function on its own stalk, Toyota-style. The cruise on my mom-in-law's old '98 Camry was the easiest to use that I've ever see. The small buttons on the GM turn signal stalk are often times hard for my big fingers to find. Not to mention the white lettering has always worn off every GM stalk I've ever had. Why can't they build a stalk where the lettering doesn't wear off?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I much prefer the cruise control controls on the steering wheel...like Ford has done for years, and like what GM is now.

Both my 1988 Eldorado and 1987 Allante have the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel. Makes it much harder to install an aftermarket steering wheel and retain cruise control function.

IPB Image

While it is engaged you can increase your speed 1 MPH faster by pressing the ENGAGE button and decrease your speed 1 MPH by pressing the RESUME button (or visa versa I can't remember) Try experimenting its a great feature that I did not know about until I read the manual, :lol:

sprucegoose,

The only thing better than the tap 1mph-up, tap 1mph-down method on the Caddy's is on the Chrysler 300m. With their cruise, tap 2mph up and tap 1mph down. (I think my '94 Town Car was the same way...) This is much more useful and less hassle. I love to drive without my foot on the gas for hundreds of miles at a time. Only have to tap 5 times to go up 10 mph. With a little forethought, I pass, cut back in and slow down without ever touching the gas. Better yet, the car will downshift automatically when the speed reaches +2 or +3mph from the setting of the cruise. This allows the car to stay much closer to the set speed when cresting hills, or if you press the gas to pass... On the way to work I go over some pretty steep hills and the cops are like flies here in Ohio, I just drop 3 mph on the cruise before cresting the hill, and the car automatically downshifts so I stay right on target all the way down the hill.

On the highway, when I'm waiting for a spot in traffic, or so I can pull out into the high speed lane, I tap down 3 or 4 mph, the car downshifts and I gas it with all the acceleration I need. I am used to the transmission in the 300m and I have to say it is extremely predictable. I rarely use the gas padal on the highway! The Autostick feature is also very well done and predictable...

my .02

That sounds like it requires a little too much attention for my liking. I simply use it for crusing and like the fine adjustments, like if I am creeping up on someone, or if I want to pick it up a bit, etc. If I want to accelerate I use the pedal and let it return to the set speed on its own.

One other thing that no one has mentioned is the maximum "tap up" or "tap down" is 10. After that you have to reset the speed to be able to do it 10 more times.

Larry, I did not know that, but have never had the need to press it that many times. Is it true that Mercedes has cruise control with optical sensors that slow the car down if it senses a car in front? Mike

Archived