CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hello I have never owned a Cadillac before and I am on a very limited income . I have a chance to buy a 91 deville that has 147,00kms or approx 80,000 miles. Is this a reliable car? I have a very bad back and other ailments which is why the cadillac attracts me. I drive little only driving about 10,000 kms or 6000 miles a yr but I can't afford paying for repairs all the time . Please help,your opinion is much appreciated.

80k is good.

I like the size of the caddies also because they are so comfortable.

How much is the asking price. Anything wrong with it? If you get as lucky as me you will need to just maintain the usual fluids and brakes, etc... Reliability I usually give a 10. I am assuming the 91 has the 4.9 engine which is reliable and not bad to do basic maintnence

welcome to Caddyinfo. We are here to help.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Hello I have never owned a Cadillac before and I am on a very limited income . I have a chance to buy a 91 deville that has 147,00kms or approx 80,000 miles. Is this a reliable car? I have a very bad back and other ailments which is why the cadillac attracts me. I drive little only driving about 10,000 kms or 6000 miles a yr but I can't afford paying for repairs all the time . Please help,your opinion is much appreciated.

The 4.9 was a great engine. Decent mpg too if it was taken care of. I have 190k on mine and my neighbor has 250k on his. Only thing I've done to mine in the past 4.5 years was regular maintenance and a water pump replacement.

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

You are looking at a 21 year old, soon to be 22 year old car so the expectation that it will not need repairs is not very realistic. You either pay for ocassional repairs on a used car or pay a monthly car payment for a new one with a warranty. The cost per month will be far less on a used car will be less than a car payment.

The 4.9 engine was a decent engine. When the water pump needs replacing, use a AC Delco (factory) pump, not an aftermarket pump or you will be doing the job again soon.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Welcome to the board. Take into account that folks here are Cadillac enthusiasts so their opinion maybe more on positive side. I had a 91 Seville for nine years. The same powertrain Deville has. It was a NJ car with 76,000 miles on odometer when I bought it in 2000. Did I enjoy it? ABSOLUTELY! I put another 100,000 miles on it. Nevertheless, the history of that car was a history of repairs. If I show the log of repairs and maintenance, you will get an idea. Unlike you, I was not afraid of doing everything myself, which saved me probably $10,000 in nine years.

Let the mileage not confuse you. The age and the current condition are more important. I would NOT recommend you buying 21 years old Cadillacr no matter how inexpensive it is if you cannot turn wrenches.

KHE even ACDelco pumps for 4.9 are made in China nowadays. Yup, as soon you replace the original pump on 4.9 you keep replacing them every year.

By the way, every time I need to do something on my LT1 I think about the same job on 4.9 , and I am glad it is LT1. :) I am not talking about sparkplug wires, of course.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The water pump job wasn't my most enjoyable day.

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

Archived