CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

05 Deville - service stability sys, traction control, abs lights on

As of a few days ago, whenever I drive my car the service stability sys message, the traction control light, and the abs light will come on at the same time. Brought it into the garage I normally go to. I wound up needing to have a tie rod replaced, but they didn't have any luck discovering what is causing the lights to come on regularly. One of the codes they found was a history code (can't remember what it was), but that was about it. Nothing seemed to be operating outside of the norm when they drove it.

Now, all of the above will come on randomly while I'm driving. Sometimes, it'll be about 1-2 seconds after I shift into drive the first time from park. Yesterday, I went out in the morning and it took 10 minutes before they came on. Others, it'll be when I brake for the first time and get down under 5 mph. They're all coming on, but there doesn't seem to be a consistency for when it happens. I know I'm being a little vague with my description here, but I really don't have much to go with. Any help regarding this would be appreciated and I will add more info if I come up with anything. Thanks.

Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and INFO UP buttons. ALL? will be displayed. Press info reset for NO and ON/Off for YES. Press ON/OFF when you see ALL? and again when you see DISPLAY ALL CODES? Once the codes are displayed, write them down and post them here.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Jim, I believe that was what the guy at the garage told me about. Pretty sure he said everything looked ok and that it was a 50/50 chance the light would stay off if he changed some kind of bearing. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of stuff so unfortunately there are some things I tend to have a hard time remembering. I'll check the connection myself if I manage to find it lol. Again, stuff I've never looked at so I'm basically taking guesses where I'm looking aside from the obvious (in this case near the front left wheel).

The connection you are looking for is just inboard of the rotor...

There will be a wire coming from the car that plugs into a wire that is coming off of the rear of the hub...

Here is a pic of the hub and the wire on the hub...

20120408_123031.jpg

Here is a picture of what the connection on the hub looks like...

20120408_114237.jpg

Here is a picture of the wire coming from the car... the two wires plug together.

20120408_120154.jpg

Posted Image

Drove to work and back today (52 miles) and the lights (abs, traction control) plus the "stability sys" message did not come on. Stopped at a gas station, filled up, and the lights came on literally 1 second after I shifted from park to drive. Posted all the codes above. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just trying to bump this thread. Connection going to the speed sensor is not loose or dirty. If I clear the c1232 code, the abs light, t/c light, and "stability sys" warning go off and sometimes stay off or come on at random. Most of the time, everything seems to come on after I stop and as I'm beginning to accelerate so basically before I even reach 5 mph.

Clear all of the codes.

Drive it till the lights come on... DO NOT TURN OFF THE IGNITION...

Then pull the codes to see what is CURRENT...

Then post them here.

Hopefully the codes will tell you (and us) what part is causing the lights to come on.

Posted Image

IPC U1000

IPM B0429

Those were the current codes that came up after clearing all codes. Same as before. Made it to work and the lights came on as I was parking (once again when I was under 5 mph). When I left, lights came on after moving about a foot.

....Current codes same as before and C1232 history code again.

C1232 - Left Front Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted

Whatever is happening at your LF wheel speed sensor is an intermittent condition. After you confirm the LF wheel speed sensor connection is clean/tight and there is no wire harness damage, it might be time to throw some money at replacing the LF hub/sensor assembly.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I had the exact same thing going on in my '01 Deville,dont recall the exact codes,but they pointed to the LF wheel.Cleaning that connection with electrical contact cleaner spray fixed it.

• 2 months later...

Whatever is happening at your LF wheel speed sensor is an intermittent condition. After you confirm the LF wheel speed sensor connection is clean/tight and there is no wire harness damage, it might be time to throw some money at replacing the LF hub/sensor assembly.

Connection is clean and tight. Still comes on intermittently. I forgot about this for a while now as there have been a larger number of times when it doesn't come on. Roughly how much would/should it cost to replace the assembly?

Connection is clean and tight. Still comes on intermittently. I forgot about this for a while now as there have been a larger number of times when it doesn't come on. Roughly how much would/should it cost to replace the assembly?

I would say that 'not enough to worry about' for three or four months qualifies as "intermittent".

A DIY person could replace the assembly for the $200(??) or less parts cost.

Putting your car in the hands of a repair shop is an open-ended proposition over which you will be asked to sign away control. Labor rates seem to vary according to region and 'perceived ability to pay'.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the info, I also have this issue on my 02 SLS the code I get are ABS 1248 and 1214 can anyone help with this one ?

I might be able to help but before I burn the typing time, will you be doing the work? Or will you hire a third party to do the work?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I have a mechanic friend who will do the job...thanks ,I need to relay him the info he will do most of the work

I'm sure you can see the openings for information being garbled; he said, then he said, back and forth for days.

Your two codes, C1214 and C1248, are related in such a way that C1214 causes C1248.

C1214 can be caused by a dirty/corroded/damaged wire harness connector at the Electronic Brake Control Module (ECBM). The EBCM is located at the bottom front LH corner of the powertrain cradle. Access is gained by removing the large air flow management panel under the front end of the vehicle OR by removing the LF wheel and close out panel.

One electrical connection seems to be the most likely to cause C1214 and that is a black chassis ground wire that exits the side of the pump motor and is connected to chassis. The chassis end of the connection can become rusted/corroded/broken and must be cleaned up/repaired.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If you aren't sure where the problem is coming from, replacing parts may not fix the problem. This is particularly true of intermittent problems.

Follow the wiring harness from the LF wheel speed sensor as far as you can, checking for damage to the wire or a point where it is too flexible and may have a broken conductor inside.

To answer your question, the sensor is part of the hub, which is about $91 for a Timken part, cheaper for "economy" part, higher for some brands, astronomical for AC/Delco part. Check with Texas Jim about replacing this as a DIY job.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived