CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New life to an old badge

STS Scott

I was thinking again, and I thought up a little something is regarding the "Seville" badging, used on the 92-93 non-STS Sevilles. (Like before the SLS trim level came out).

I love the text style they used...sort of art-deco-ish, and had an idea pop into my head, to use the letters on the side of the STS, in the same manner "Eldorado" is spelled out on their lower doors.

Upon checking out the badges availability at the dealer (I was not sure GM would still even issue it, as it was used on 12-13 year old cars), they quoted a hefty sum of dough for such a "measly" little piece...$48 dollars, which would be doubled, as I would use it on both sides of the car. For comparasons sake, a NEW Northstar badge cost only $35 dollars!

What gives with the steep price? For such an "out of date" part, I would not have expected that much dough!

Moreover, is there anywhere else I could get this badge, let alone two of them? I doubt parts suppliers would have cosmetic type things, right?

I just don't think its worth bitting the bullet for a hundred bucks, just for a little appearance mod. Do I have any other options?

Thanks for any insight!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

These kinds of parts are very expensive for what they are (little bits of chrome plated plastic with an adhesive bacling). The "L" is missing from the "ELDORADO" lettering on my left door. I checked into a replacement and I found I would have to buy the entire Eldorado lettering set at a cost of $65. (Needless to say the "L" is still missing.)

In defense of General Motors, I am often amazed that they stock this kind of obscure trim part for a 12 or 13 year old car at all. (Try locating a missing name badge for a 12 or 13 year old refrigerator!)

When you consider what it must take to supply all these parts for all the models of all the makes of all the cars and trucks and and SUV's, etc. that GM has made over the past 15 or more years, it is a monumental task. The parts must me manufactured, packaged, and stored in such a manner that whenever I decide to pop for a new lettering set, GM can have it at my local dealer within a very few days.

To do this, there must be acres and acres of warehouses around Detroit and at other strategic locations around the country, all computer-linked to keep track of where all this massive inventory is.

General Motors is a business, not a charity organization. The cost of this inventory warehousing and distribution system must be reflected in the price of the parts. Add to all of this the fact that there is very little demand for a lot of these parts and you might see why I would have to pay $65 for a lettering set that is no more than 8 little globs of chrome plated plastic with adhesive backing.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

the E&G grill install was not very difficult and did not take very long at all... I had it in securely in under an hour.

I purchased the grill from american-truck-auto.com for < $250 and it arrived very quickly and I am very happy with it.

I also realize now you don't mean the script lettering... my father's STS has the block-lettered "Seville" badge which I believe came as part of the gold package.

Now that you mention that block lettering on the newer Sevilles, I recall seeing that a while ago. I totally had forgot about it though.

Maybe I will investigate how much it is for THAT badge!

And yes, ero1220, I love the touches you have done to your STS! The Seville badge on the door looks very classy, as does the wreath and crest on the wheel.

Can anyone post a pic of a car with that option, if you could?

Thanks!

Scott

I got them off of ebay... they came in excellent condition.

check it out here. I think it's a good look... they are a bit small though.

Hopefully, the steering wheel emblem does not become a projectile if the airbag deploys.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I got them off of ebay... they came in excellent condition.

check it out here.  I think it's a good look... they are a bit small though.

Hopefully, the steering wheel emblem does not become a projectile if the airbag deploys.

Ouch! Thanks for the visual! :)

And, of course you make a good point...

Charles

Charles

ero1220,

How did you mount the Cadillac emblem on the E&G grille along with the cadillac badge?

Curious because im thinking of buying a grille for my 96 STS

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Yes, I did consider this possibility... :unsure: I machined out the backs of the steel emblems with a drill press and made sure I used a trusted adhesive in the correct amounts.

The E&G grills come with a double stick backing for the emblem to be affixed to them... as far as I can tell it is the same adhesive GM uses.

The steel script logo on the grill has two threaded prongs to be affixed to the older Deville grill... I dug through the assorted nuts and bolts drawer and found two nuts that pressure fit the emblem into the grill.

I love the text style they used...sort of art-deco-ish, and had an idea pop into my head, to use the letters on the side of the STS, in the same manner "Eldorado" is spelled out on their lower doors.

HMMM, mine says "Touring Coup" on the doors....just curiuos...does it say "Eldorado" if it doiesn't have the touring coup package, or was "eldorado" used instead on new models

PIC of my door:

etc.jpg

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I think the "Eldorado" text is on the newer ones. They probably altered it when they "Softened" the look of the car with the simpler trim.

Also, has anyone seen, or know where I can see an example of the "Gold Package" Seville script?

I have not had any time yet to go to the dealer, let alone call a parts supplier like gmpartsdirect. (they don't list anything on their site)

Thanks!

Scott

Archived