CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

04 Deville is bouncing all over the road.

PAUL T

Here is the problem with my in-laws 04 Deville. Rear shocks are non existent. Bounce the rear end and it will bounce about 5 times after you let go. Driving is becoming more difficult due to it jumping over bumps especially in curves. The codes are:

C0658 - Level Control Compressor Circuit (history)

I noticed the other day when the car was started that the air pump kicked on and the car lifted a little, then the pump quit and the car settled back down. I know I need to check the air hoses to the shocks. Where else do I start?

Something tells me that while you appear to have a level control issue, you also have bad struts. The struts dampen the up and down motion, the level control just raises the rear to the appropriate drive height. See if they are leaking oil, ill bet if you removed them you have no dampening at all

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Check the air bags on the rear shocks for cracks and leaks. However, if the shocks themselves are as bad as you say, I would replace them and see if there are any more leaks. If that solves both the damping and the leveling problem, then you are done.

Regarding the code, I would clear it and see if it comes back.

C0658 Level Control Compressor Circuit High

That looks like it might be a loose connector.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It appears the rear shocks are shot from what you describe. When there is not the correct amount of damping, the rear will hop sideways when going over bumps.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Does the air ride not control the dampening also? If it was not for the air ride I would say the rear shocks are definatly bad. The car only has 61,000 miles on it. I will have to get under it and check the air lines.

Does the air ride not control the dampening also? If it was not for the air ride I would say the rear shocks are definatly bad. The car only has 61,000 miles on it. I will have to get under it and check the air lines.

The air ride just sets the height. It will only affect the ride if the shocks are totally deflated and are bottomed out. Hard to believe they are shot after 61,000 miles though.

Check the air lines AND the bladders on the shocks.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Monroe says that shocks and struts should be changed at 50,000 mile intervals. I changed mine at 155,000 miles. The car still passed the bounce test but the new shocks and struts made an enormous difference.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I purchased some new Monroe shocks for my father-in-law and he installed them and the car is riding like new again. My wife had been driving the car and she had complained to her Dad that it was dangerous to drive. He just told her to slow down. He drove it to a family reunion that weekend and when he got home he put the new shocks on Monday morning. Thanks for all the help.

Archived