CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

strut bushings

winterset

I am embarrassed to say I have (although only 1/2 the set) the FSM. However, I have been unable to find how to change the strut tower bushing. Not sure if this is what it's called, but I feel the car is a little noisy over dips in the road (it creaks). and the last time I had this condition, the driver side strut bushing was replaced (under warranty), and this fixed the problem. The car is pretty much 99% original, but I am starting to think the suspension is a little noisy, and maybe even a little bit wobbly on the road. Only noise is that creak coming from the driver wheel again. - just like I had back 1999.

Also, I was thinking about replacing the rear sway bar bushing assembly. I can get acdelco dogbone for $13 each side . On both sides, the inner & outer bushing has a crack in it. Would this help the car feel wobbly? - everything else looks OK.

Check the tie rod ends.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

also number one for the rear. Check the rear knuckle bushings. With car sitting normal grab the rear wheels as close to the top as you can (I know it can be difficult due to the flared quarters)

But if they are bad it wont take much at all to figure it out. Pull the tire in and out at the top and if it clunks or has play they are shot. Not bad at all to change. I did a writeup last year, and one before that.. On both of mine they were all shot

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Thanks for you feedback. tie-rods, checked out good, and I checked the rear knuckles, and it's also good with no play at all. I just want to clarify. - the suspension is solid, just when I hot a bumpy road, the car is slow to recover from the condition, and it feels like the car gets a little more shaky than it used to or should. I hate to do this, but I am considering replacing the sway bar bushings in the front and back. - they seem to be a little cracked. struts, balljoints, tie-rods all are still OK, with no play.

Check the front stabilizer links. They have ball joints on both ends and one of them moves a lot, and is exposed to water and salt, so they do wear out. It's not necessarily obvious just looking at them, either; loosen the bushing clamps and wiggle the links hard with your hand and see if there is any play.

The stabilizer bushings are inexpensive and easy to change, but are unlikely to cause problems that you feel while driving the car. But I would change them if I was looking at the stabilizer links, just because it's so simple to do, and changing the links is simpler if the bushing clamps are loosened, so the job is half done as part of changing the links.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Strut mounts (referred to as strut bearings) are at the top of the strut and you will hear them on turns, and they will skip rather than rotate smoothly, if you put your hand on the spring while someone turns the wheel, be careful not to get hurt doing that

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You can use a wooden dowel to listen to the strut bearing while someone is turning the wheel. If you can feel or hear grinding, it's bad.

Archived