CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1996 Cadillac Deville A/C only blows cool when driving

I have a 1996 Cadillac Deville. Suddenly the A/C decides to stop blowing cold air when I stop at a red light or am otherwise idling.

I'm a new Cadillac owner and have never seen this before. I figured it was low on freon and went to the auto zone and got one of those do it yourself kits.

When I connected the apparatus to the low side It showed that there was a mechanical problem. Can anyone give me some pointers?

First off welcome to caddyinfo. With patience we can go long ways to help each other.

What do you mean mechanical problem?

When you hook up the can and have the ac on max cold (with recirculate on.) what is the gauge reading?

If there is a mechanical problem your car should tell you. If it does blow cold then it means the compressor should be working.

How cold would you say it blows at its best?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Use the link in my signature block to get instructions for getting your car's OBD trouble codes and post them here. We will use that to help you troubleshoot your car's problems.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The air flow does not stop - it just gets warm, correct? If that is the case, the radiator fans may not be working.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have found that even with everything functional, the A/C will not blow as cold while stopped in traffic for awhile, but the A/C will get all its mojo back once the vehicle speed hits 35 mph or so.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived