CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tranny fluid change

ted tcb

My local oil change guy is quoting me $70 plus a $50 kit for the tranny filter and oil change on the 97 seville

Does this seem about right?

My appointment is for tomorrow morning.

Thanks

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I thought the 4T80E had no servicable filter. Only a screen that needs to be cleaned. There is a filter but it is up inside the side case and does not require changing unless the trans is disassembled.

Just curious as to what the problem with doing a tranny flush is. It appears to be a good idea. Flushing the tranny removes all of the old fluid, instead of about 1/2 - 2/3. What is happening, in a bad way, to trannies that get flushed?

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Just curious as to what the problem with doing a tranny flush is. It appears to be a good idea. Flushing the tranny removes all of the old fluid, instead of about 1/2 - 2/3. What is happening, in a bad way, to trannies that get flushed?

Don

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...ic=799&hl=flush

This explains in detail why not to have the transmission flushed.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The 4T80E does have a bottom filter that needs changed with the fluid change. There is another filter up on the side but there are two screens that eliminate the need for this filter to be changed unless the tranny is being pulled.

When the fluid is changed the bottom will get about 5-7 quarts of fluid. Then there is a drain plug in that cavity that will get the majority of the rest. You'll get about 95% of the fluid with these two removals.

The 4T80E is a dry sump tranny. In other words there is no "pan full" of fluid setting in the tranny. The fluid is pumped to the upper part by means of a scavenger pump so the majority of the fluid sets in the body where it is needed.

Funny - I was just readin this stuff in my service manual last night. I can't tell you what the cost is to change the fluid and filter as I have not got the mileage on mine yet to have it done. And flushing is not recomended in the service manual. The only flushing that is recomended is the tranny fluid cooler and then only if it is causing the tranny to heat up to unacceptable levels.

Hope this helps -

Steve

:D Well, I just came back from having the fluid changed in my tranny and crankcase.

Thanks for the advise, as it gave me peace of mind that my tech new his stuff.

The tranny kit for the car came with two filters, one for each side. The owner of the shop pumped out about 2 or 3L from the dipstick, to make the draining from the pan removal less messy. The pan removal gave up most of the oil, and the screen was cleaned, as well as the pan. No debris or metal, the fluid was deep red, smelled fine.

The plug was hidden behind a wiring harness, and that gave up most of the remaining oil

He then ran the car for about 5minutes, checked for leaks, drove the car, and checked all the levels. I watched the entire process, which took about 1 hour .... I was glad it was the owner doing the work, as he knew his stuff and was meticulous.

The charge was $69.99 for tranny service, and 54.99 for tranny kit , CDN$.

Now, how do i remove EXP 47 code, or just let it expire through time?

Thanks, this board is real helpful, especially with preventative maintenance.

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

ted tcb - your fluid was still redish and there was no metal or debris in the pan so I assume you wasted your money on the "filters" - right?

They really are not filters but rather "screens" the pump pulls fluid through and unless there's a problem with your trans they really don't need replacement.

For anyone else contemplating a trans service you'd be better off dropping the pan first before you buy those screens.

Spend the money on an OEM pan gasket you'll be glad you did.

As for a fluid change, a "flush machine" should be avoided but it's really easy to exchange the fluid yourself by connecting up to the cooler line and adding fluid, as the pump pushes it out through that line, for a clean transfer. - Kinda fun too :)

Did the tranny service cause the code came up on my DIC ... new car to me, so better safe than sorry.

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Archived