CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Please help ASAP with Deville purchase!!!

Hi, I need help quick! Looking to get another caddy and I have an appt in 2 hours to see what appears to be a cream puff! It's a 2002 Deville DHS with 112k and going by the many photos it looks like new inside and out. He has it listed on Craiglist and it was just listed today.

Questions:

How do I pull the codes?

Not too familiar with the Northstar (I only have experience w/the 4.9). Are the head gaskets still an issue with the 2002?

Any common issues/problems I need to look out for?

This is a small dealer car that was taken in on trade so no service receipts are available. I prefer private party for this reason, but this car looks like new and is hard to pass up. Can I get the service history from a dealership? I plan on pulling a carfax.

Please help!

Thanks!

Found out how to pull the codes. Is this correct?

• Turn ignition "ON." Engine can be either OFF or RUNNING.
  • Depress the "ON/OFF" button and the "UP ARROW" end of the info button on the driver information center simultaneously for a few seconds.

Good to see you epriced, good luck with the purchase, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

....Can I get the service history from a dealership?
Yes, for service that was performed at any GM dealership.
I plan on pulling a carfax.
An Autocheck report might contain "better" (as in more complete information).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks Mike and Jim! The car was as nice as I figured - ran and drove really nice, and I've never seen a 9 year old Caddy that clean. I'm pretty certain I'll be getting it tomorrow once I check the codes and service history. I wasn't able to figure out how to pull the codes...I'm an idiot I guess :)

Thanks Jim for the Autocheck tip...I'll check them out.

Amazing how different this '02 is compared to my '94. I still love my '94, but she's developing problems that are cost prohibitive to repair. She served me well though!

Mike, how's your Caddy doing?

I guess I really am an idiot. Where are the INFO and ON/OFF buttons on the DIC/heater control panel? In the link below is a pic of the heater control panel that is similar to what I saw tonight on the '02 Deville (scroll down for the image). I don't see the INFO and ON/OFF buttons??? Are they not in the heater control panel?

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/cadillac-deville-2001-cadillac-deville-2001-deville-abs-braketraction-warn

I guess I really am an idiot. Where are the INFO and ON/OFF buttons on the DIC/heater control panel? In the link below is a pic of the heater control panel that is similar to what I saw tonight on the '02 Deville (scroll down for the image). I don't see the INFO and ON/OFF buttons??? Are they not in the heater control panel?

As I tried to reply some hours ago, you are confusing the HVAC control display with the DIC (Driver Information Center).

The switches you need are directly to the RH side of the DIC.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

OK I got it, thanks Jim! I didn't notice the 3 switches to the right of the DIC - it was dark. I just assumed the codes were controlled in the climate control panel similar to my '94.

Just a word of advice to the forum.

A few years ago I had a chrysler lebaron that got wrecked, totaled out, bought back from the insurance company. I decided on a whim to do a car fax from my buddies car fax and could not find anything on my car!!! The point being, car fax can tell you something that has happened, but cant guarantee you that nothing has happened. I have no idea about Autocheck. So do your own inspection, and not think it is perfect just because nothing shows up.

Amazing how different this '02 is compared to my '94. I still love my '94, but she's developing problems that are cost prohibitive to repair. She served me well though!

I would recommend testing the coolant with the kit from Autozone to make sure there are no exhaust gasses in the coolant.

What sort of problems are you having with your '94?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Sad day! :(

34 codes including the dreaded PCM P0741 and PCM P1860 = $3000+

I can list the other codes in case anyone is interested.

Thanks Kevin for the coolant test tip. Picked that up but didn't get that far. Will be returning it.

Here's the car, negotiated last night to $6200:

http://indianapolis....2672187726.html

I REALLY liked that car PPPBBBT!!!!

The search continues...

Oh too bad, I am sorry to hear that, but you went armed and ready and made an intelligent decision. Good luck in your quest

That certainly was a beautiful car. Great for a DIYer to play with. Keep in mind that sometimes you can get a lot of codes if the battery power is compromised.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Oh too bad, I am sorry to hear that, but you went armed and ready and made an intelligent decision. Good luck in your quest

That certainly was a beautiful car. Great for a DIYer to play with. Keep in mind that sometimes you can get a lot of codes if the battery power is compromised.

Thanks Mike! I wasn't overly concerned with a majority of the codes as they seemed to be minor issues ( everything worked on the vehicle and most codes were history). For all I know he swapped batteries on me - his ad stated new battery but when I asked about it Thursday night he said he doubted it had a new battery and that it was under the seat - and I didn't look at it. So that next morning he may have swapped batteries. The tranny codes really alarmed me though. Battery power wouldn't set those codes, correct? I asked another caddy dealer about it and the SA said to pass on it being it had 115k and she feared it could be a "grenade".

You know I still like that car though. I'm tempted to reset the codes and see if they come back. I think there were 2 codes that were current, but I don't recall which ones. I should have videotaped the DIC as they were scrolling faster than I could write. I try to keep my heart out of car buying decisions and use my head, but my heart is really tugging at me with this one. I thought at first while looking at the pics it was perhaps too flashy, but after seeing it in person that wasn't the case at all. That car was "me". What would you do?

Thanks Mike! I wasn't overly concerned with a majority of the codes as they seemed to be minor issues ( everything worked on the vehicle and most codes were history). For all I know he swapped batteries on me - his ad stated new battery but when I asked about it Thursday night he said he doubted it had a new battery and that it was under the seat - and I didn't look at it. So that next morning he may have swapped batteries. The tranny codes really alarmed me though. Battery power wouldn't set those codes, correct? I asked another caddy dealer about it and the SA said to pass on it being it had 115k and she feared it could be a "grenade".

You know I still like that car though. I'm tempted to reset the codes and see if they come back. I think there were 2 codes that were current, but I don't recall which ones. I should have videotaped the DIC as they were scrolling faster than I could write. I try to keep my heart out of car buying decisions and use my head, but my heart is really tugging at me with this one. I thought at first while looking at the pics it was perhaps too flashy, but after seeing it in person that wasn't the case at all. That car was "me". What would you do?

As you know strong uninterrupted battery power is very important on this platform.

No the tranny codes would not be caused by a power issue. But I would not have made that problem a deal killer, I would have made it a price reducer and given that the tranny needed to be removed, sensors, solenoids and seals and maybe even the torque convertor may have needed to be replaced, you could have made a good case. Reduce the price 1500 and that problem is not so bad. Keep in mind that it was an AMAZING looking car in mint condition.

As far as the SA making that assinine statement, given that you are HERE, you should have ignored that narrow minded stupid statement and would have ALSO used THAT statement in your negotiation also. Note that you don't trust the seller may be swapping the battery but you listen to a Service Advisor, who has never picked up a wrench, and who couldn't hold the jock strap of the old timers on this forum. Grenade my azz. I wish I had the money, I'd be on that car and check it for combustion by products and Id hype up its problems to negotiate a better price and make it a hobby. What is the KBB used car value?

I know you have had frustrating problems in the past, but don't get taken in by the negative hype. My premise is, of every two people you meet, one is an azz hole, and it might even be 2 out of three.

If I were you, Id write down EVERY code, post them here and lets look it over. And get under the seat and look at the battery, the connections, etc. Do not tip your hand. Get the battery load tested if the starter drags. We are here to help.

What sort of problems are you having with your '94?

All sorts of problems.

1. #1 main bearing "thump" seems to be getting worse. Used to be more prominent when hot, but now its more full-time under load.

2. Had the low oil pressure - shut off engine warning couple months ago. Motor's finally going I guess. Used Lucas engine treatment and it went away. I know what you're gonna say... "snake oil", but hey it worked. Figured I had nothing to lose and I'm glad I tried it. The Lucas Translip also worked on our minivan (was recently totaled RIP) so I'm now a big proponent for Lucas products. I'll tell you guys later about the minivan - amazing.

3. Struts and shocks are shot

4. Rack is leaking and squealing.

5. Original exhaust system and its getting a lil' louder now.

6. Rust bubbling through under the fuel door.

7. Over the years more door dings have beaten her up than I can stand looking at.

Other than that I love her. She's been my baby. But it's time to move on. Being my wife's van was just totaled she's driving the caddy till she finds another car. I just picked up my son a 2000 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 SE and were sharing that for now. So my wife and I both need a car. Fun!!!

The 0741/1860 code combination is the TCC solenoid issue. If you liked the car, I would have deducted the cost of the repair from his asking price and started negotiating from below that point to give yourself some room to negotiate.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

KBB - Private market value:

Good - $6290

Very good - $6440

Excellent - $6765

KBB - buying from a dealer:

Excellent - Suggested retail $8315

I will post the other codes here in a bit.

The 0741/1860 code combination is the TCC solenoid issue. If you liked the car, I would have deducted the cost of the repair from his asking price and started negotiating from below that point to give yourself some room to negotiate.

I tried negotiating and he was firm on 6200. Not saying I can't try again. The car looks so good I think he knows he can sell it on looks alone.

Here are the '02 Deville Codes:

NO ABS CODES

NO AMP CODES

DDM B1327

DDM B3832

DDS B1327

DIM B1327

DIM B2810

DIM B2816

DIM P1531

DIM U1300

DIM U1301

IPC B1004

IPC U1300

IPC U1000

IPM B0429

IPM B1004

LRD B1327

MSM B1327

MSM B1860

PCM P0741

PCM P1860

PDM B1327

PDM B3832

RCC B1009

RFA B1327

RFA U1305

NO RIM CODES

RRD B1327

NO SDM CODES

TTM B1327

VTD B1327

VTD ?3055

IRC B1327

IRC U1000

IRC U1016

IRC U1064

IRC U1065

IRC U1164

As you know strong uninterrupted battery power is very important on this platform.

No the tranny codes would not be caused by a power issue. But I would not have made that problem a deal killer, I would have made it a price reducer and given that the tranny needed to be removed, sensors, solenoids and seals and maybe even the torque convertor may have needed to be replaced, you could have made a good case. Reduce the price 1500 and that problem is not so bad. Keep in mind that it was an AMAZING looking car in mint condition.

As far as the SA making that assinine statement, given that you are HERE, you should have ignored that narrow minded stupid statement and would have ALSO used THAT statement in your negotiation also. Note that you don't trust the seller may be swapping the battery but you listen to a Service Advisor, who has never picked up a wrench, and who couldn't hold the jock strap of the old timers on this forum. Grenade my azz. I wish I had the money, I'd be on that car and check it for combustion by products and Id hype up its problems to negotiate a better price and make it a hobby. What is the KBB used car value?

I know you have had frustrating problems in the past, but don't get taken in by the negative hype. My premise is, of every two people you meet, one is an azz hole, and it might even be 2 out of three.

If I were you, Id write down EVERY code, post them here and lets look it over. And get under the seat and look at the battery, the connections, etc. Do not tip your hand. Get the battery load tested if the starter drags. We are here to help.

Mike, for the record I did not "listen" to the SA in the sense you wrote. I only went there after getting the codes since it was half a mile away - my primary reason for going there was to get the service history. You should know, like you, that I do not trust SA in the least. I then went home and googled/researched the codes here and at cadillacforums and saw the P0741 and P1860 codes were TCC/tranny codes and saw that 2 members paid over $3000 to repair them. Some ignored the codes which led to costlier repairs. At that point I threw in the towel. I am not willing to put $9200 in that car right off the bat and the seller was firm on price even after being told about the tranny codes.

I was intentionally being hard on you, don't take me personal

Is that the list of codes above that came up?

If it is, I cant help but thing its battery related, unless he has messed with the electrical system installing aftermarket stuff. Too many codes, ill look later, making dinner!

I was intentionally being hard on you, don't take me personal

No worries Mike, but could you please explain what you mean by that?

Yes, those are the codes, but probably not in the order presented. I had to restart the DIC many times to get them all. I was not prepared for all those. Like I said I wish I would have just videotaped them so I would know which ones were Current. Most were History. Yeah, I looked most of them up yesterday and I think they were battery related as well.

Archived