CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Recent purchase: 01 STS. which tires?

iowaboy77

Its been a while since I browsed the caddyinfo site. Thanks to everyone who helped me keep my 97 eldorado running good. Last time I was here you didn't need a login or anything. Oh how time flies.

I traded the Eldo with 140,000 miles for $3000 last week. My new baby is a crimson pearl 01 STS with the optional 17 inch wheels. I'm pretty proud to have talked the dealer down from $23,900 to $16,000 including an extended warranty and a set of new tires. He's offering the original equipment- Goodyear Eagles, but I'm not reading impressive opinions of those tires on this site. I do about 25k miles each year in just about every weather and road type. Does anyone have any strong feelings about a specific tire?

The car has the original tires now, and there is quite a shimmy at 85. I hope to ditch it with new tires, maybe new rotors if need be.

As long as the dealer has it on his site, this is it:

My 01 STS

Well, if you search this site you will find many debates on tires and the "French". But as far as I am concerned, my own research and feedback on this site and my recent tire purchase, I believe that Michelin Pilots are the way to go. They are by far the best quality and performing tire that I have experienced on my '98 STS. As a matter of fact they cured my car of suspension creeking and other wierd suspension behavior. The original "Badyears" were just awful in every conceivable way. I also hear that the Bridgestone Turanza is an excellent tire, but from my own experience the quality control from Michelin is exepcially important for our steering vibration sensitve cars. The shop I bought my Michelin's from told me that the truest tire with minimal weight adjustments is the Michelin (Pilot).

Good luck.

Tom R.

1998 Cadillac STS with 102K Miles

I think that the Michelin Pilots are good for performance and Michelin Symmetrys are good if you are looking for a quiet ride with long lasting treadwear. I had Symmetrys on my 1996 SLS and they were much better than the Goodyear Eagles that were on it when I bought it. The Eagles were loud and they wore out in a hurry.

I agree that Michelins are the way to go, and Pilots are probably the best choice. I think though that I would have delt for "you pay to get rid of that vibration" instead of a set of tires. You can put several sets of tires on a car, but if not done correctly, they will all shimmy to some degree at certain speeds. The Michelins will probably be the easiest tires to get right, so you are ahead there. The key to a good running set of tires on this car is to have them road force balanced. Preferably on a Hunter GSP balancer. Remember to get the road force balancing done while the tires are warm, not after sitting in the driveway overnight, or in the garage for a week.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll be getting the new rubber before it snows, definitely- whichever kind I pick. I had the dealer balance the balding eagles today, which eliminated the shudder. Definitely it needs new tires. Too bad my Eldo had 16's, or I would have swapped them out before I sold it.

So where do I go to get tires and a "road force balance". Will a dealer have that equipment? Tires plus? lol.

I'm from a town with a Goodyear Plant, so its kind of treason for me to be considering michelins. Interestingly, the michelin site only lists Energy MXV4's as being available in 235/55/17. I'll do some more looking. I was sold on Cooper Tires when i was a Bonneville man back in the early 90's.

Bottom line, I've narrowed it down to a few choices. Thanks for the input, all.

The more I drive, the more I like it. How did I ever live with my 97 Eldo? I've never had a sunroof before. I've never had heated seats before. I've never had those goofy intense headlights that really piss people off before. I'm getting really good at using the heated seats so I can have the sunroof open so I can flip the bird at people who wont dim their lights at me. One old lady even called me a name that I didn't know old ladies knew, and told me to dim my lights. Fun stuff.

As some on this board can attest, I don't like bright lights either. Get them aimed correctly first.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I have run G/Y Aquatread's on my 92 for a year or so. Have been OK for me. They are pretty quiet on the Interstate. Plan to swap them over to my 96. The 96 had OEM Eagles when I got it a few weeks ago. Put my winter Blizzaks on over the weekend and they ride better are much quieter than the OEM Eagles.

I think the Aquatread's are now replaced by the G/Y Assurance in 2 or 3 configurations.

• 1 month later...

I find my tires very load lol the only have like 8-12 percent of the tread left lol!!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I also have an '01 STS and had the same "shimmy" or shaking problem with my eagles also at 80 and above mph so I bought the BFGoodrich T/A (new for 2004) and I love them. They have a great muscle car look and they handle very well. I have had many compliments on my car, while keeping my Cadillac look.

Check them out at tirerack.com

Peace....

ByStorm B)

I put Coopers on last year and have been very happy with them. Had them force balanced and they have held the balance through two tire rotations.

I intend to get Coopers when the Mountaineer needs tires.

One old lady even called me a name that I didn't know old ladies knew, and told me to dim my lights.

Get used to it with those HIDS. I have those on my 2001 and it is a love/hate deal with them. Even when they're aimed correctly (I get mine checked at least twice a year) people still will flash you every now and then.

Jim

One old lady even called me a name that I didn't know old ladies knew, and told me to dim my lights.

Get used to it with those HIDS. I have those on my 2001 and it is a love/hate deal with them. Even when they're aimed correctly (I get mine checked at least twice a year) people still will flash you every now and then.

Jim

I have the Hid's and alot of times cars will flash there lights at me and one time I was driving and someone actually followed me cause they thought I had my highbeams on and they got very mad at me they were following me and of course I never noticed. I stopped to get gas and he pulled up and said did you ever hear of the common curticy to turn your highbeams off when approaching an oncoming car and I just simply said HID headlights and he looked at me and said well get rid of them then and pulled away looking very angry.

LOL :lol: It was kinda funny but I didn't understand what made him so mad.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I had a similar issue one night with the driver of a Mercedes. He/she just wouldn't turn their hi-beams off. Once they got back in front of me I showed them what hi-beams look like (for about 5 seconds). Thet got the hint.

Still once in a while, I'll get someone (on-coming usually) that will flash me and I'll flash right back and that's normally the end of it.

Sometimes it does get annoying but I've just learned to deal with it. Also, since more cars are coming equipped with these, the problem is getting less & less.

Jim

As far as the tire, I've had pretty good luck with my Goodyears. Once I got her up to 134 MPH (I'll never do that again) and there wasn't any vibration. They also respond good on wet payment. Never tried to much snow (got a 4 wheel drive for that) nor the slalom (spelling) course. My STS has right @ 50K on it and there is still plenty of tread left.

Jim

I've got HID's in my 1998 STS, and have been flashed by BMW X5's and and Range Rovers. I rarely ever get flashed by anyone other than a person driving a large foreign SUV's with HID's set above my roof line pointing directly into my face. This pisses me off to no end. I frequently find myself rolling down my window and giving them the finger while screaming, "F**k you, you stupid f**king a**hole!" Then I proceed on down the road. I never seem to get flashed by any cars with halogens, which I would expect. It's always the the people in teh SUV's with the HID's pointing in your face. :angry:

I think that the headlights make them jealous. I have eyes too, 47 year old ones that have the typical rod and cone crappin' out issue, and I find that oncoming hid headlights are much less blinding than tratidional headlights.

You'll find the crimson pearl to be a major hit. It attracts attention ulike anything else. I have been in cruise-type traffic close to T/A's, Stangs, and Vettes of other colors. The car watching people on the street pay more attention to the STS than they do to the listed cars. When they notice the attention, they get pissed off; as a result, they fall back a few blocks. (I don't blame 'em! I'd be pissed off too.)

One of the problems you'll have is that everyone wants to touch the paint. I don't like getting near the car, let alone touch it, so I have temper myself and not say, "Get your $#!tscrapers off my car." Another comment that I hear ofetn is when I'm sitting in the cruise-type grid lock traffic, and pedestrians walk by. You'll hear a parent scream to the child, "DON'T TOUCH IT!"

Everyone wil want to run into it, so you need to learn a good game of dodgeball. There are the uglies in life, and I'm fortunate enough so that I don't leave the car where such things can happen, but it's the vandal's paint of choice

The tires: It doesn't matter how fast you're going. My Goodyears vibrated at 62 to 67. Other speeds, the car was like silk, including the puss-out at 143 when trying a top speed.

I have 4 Miclelin MXV4's on my car. I bought/installed at the stealership. Wtf am I supposed to do? Let some flunkey at a whizzy world wrestle rubber off and on my rims, scratchig them all to hell? I highly recomend the MXV4's.

post-3-1105332077.jpg

Shimmy at 85? Goodyears? I had the same problem on the wife's STS. Eagle RS-A's? I bet they are! GARBAGE, GARBAGE, GARBAGE!!! Been there, done that! Garbage tires just as much as Firestones! Michelin or Vogue is the only tire I will ever buy! Drop the Goodyears and your problem is history!

Follow-up on my Michelin Pilot XGT Purchase on snow.....

I have now had the opportunity to drive in snow as well....I am truly impressed with the perfromance of this tire in the snow - maybe it's the car instead - but I have had no problem driving on side-streets with a few inches of snow - I almost feel as confident as when driving our 4x4 Pathfinder - go figure..... There may be better tires out there - but this is the best one I have come across.

Tom R.

1998 Cadillac STS with 102K Miles

bc6t Posted on Jan 10 2005, 10:18 AM

I almost feel as confident as when driving our 4x4 Pathfinder - go figure.....

I've never really driven my STS in any significent amount of snow. How does the car with the tire you have on stop? In snow and such I usually drive my 4x4. It's usually in 2 wheel drive unless I feel I need the 4x4 for traction.

Thanks!

Jim

The Pilot XGT H4s are the most "all season" of the Pilot line, and after having had two sets of them, I can certainly agree with BC6T's comments above. Through snow and slush and ice, these tires are pretty confidence-inspiring. They also do very well in the wet weather. They're excellent all-around tires. The only drawback to them, in my experience, is the treadwear, but they are a performance tire with a 400 treadwear rating, so that should be expected.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived