CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Recent purchase: 01 STS. which tires?

iowaboy77

I take it they wear out fairly quick?

Jim, I'm on line to get about 40,000 from this set, and had about 37,000 on the last set when I replaced them all due to a sidewall puncture in one from road debris. I would have replaced those pretty soon anyway, so 40,000 is repeatable for me.

Typically, of all the sets of tires I've had, I can add two zeros to the treadwear rating and that's the life I'm comfortable with. I've never gotten more than about 40,000 miles from a set, but all of my tires (so far) have had treadwear ratings of between 350 and 500. The one exception is the set of tires on my Nissan truck. Their treadwear rating is 500 (Michelin LTX M/S), but I swear they have close to 100,000 miles on them, based on the average miles/year on the truck and the tires' age. Stories of that many miles on that brand of tire are common.

The Pilot XGT H4s are the best tires I've ever owned. They have a wonderful blend of performance, ride, and all weather capability. I'd get them again, except that I really want more than 2 years' performance out of the next set I get. I also want the absolute best ride I can have, and by all accounts, the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred seems like the tire. I'm also considering the GY Assurance TripleTred, and my only concern there would be slightly increased ride harshness over the ComforTreds. Either way, though, I think I'm going to give GY a try again.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I would prefer to get a little more than 40000 with the driving I do. I would also like to keep the speed rating to match the car, but that really isn't that big of a deal because I don't drive that fast anyway. Also, I find the 235/55-17 is an odd size. Most of all I would want the tires to work well in wet weather and to some extent, in the snow/ice and not have the 65-80 mph vibration.

Jim

Jim, some people have gotten more mileage than I have...and they're on Z-rated Pilots. I don't drive the car very hard all the time...it's just a big heavy FWD car. I rotate every 5-7k miles. I'm hoping for better treadlife after I put on 700-treadwear tires. I haven't heard a bad thing yet about the GY Assurance tires. We'll see.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I had the Pilot XGT H4s also and loved them, I had 20K miles and they looked new. We had two really bad winters with lots of snow and they ripped through it all... I think they are warranteed for 60K or 65K miles but I almost always get rid of my tires around 45K miles as any tire loses its wet handling ability after that. IMHO

Archived