CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Very Bad Accident!

Dasher

I was witness to a very bad accident today. An elderly woman in a recent model Buick Lesabre drove thru a stop street on a country road and was hit at the back on the passenger side by a Hummer H2. The Hummer tore the whole rear end out of that LeSabre. It was shocking to see the damage it did. I'm not kidding when I saw it literally tore off the whole right side from the front door right on through the trunk. The wheel was torn off and the spare was thrown a hundred feet down the road. The gas tank was lying under the car flat on the ground but did not leak.

After losing control, both vehicles hit trees. All the airbags deployed in both vehicles. The Hummer driver wasn't hurt at all and said he thought he would still be driveable if he hadn't hit the tree. The lady was taken to the hospital.

I was surprised to find the chrome end off of a seatbelt on the ground! It was really shocking to see how little real substance there is to these cars; but I have to say the Hummer looked pretty good for what it went through.

Be careful out there!

I was witness to a very bad accident today. An elderly woman in a recent model Buick Lesabre drove thru a stop street on a country road and was hit at the back on the passenger side by a Hummer H2. The Hummer tore the whole rear end out of that LeSabre. It was shocking to see the damage it did. I'm not kidding when I saw it literally tore off the whole right side from the front door right on through the trunk. The wheel was torn off and the spare was thrown a hundred feet down the road. The gas tank was lying under the car flat on the ground but did not leak.

After losing control, both vehicles hit trees. All the airbags deployed in both vehicles. The Hummer driver wasn't hurt at all and said he thought he would still be driveable if he hadn't hit the tree. The lady was taken to the hospital.

I was surprised to find the chrome end off of a seatbelt on the ground! It was really shocking to see how little real substance there is to these cars; but I have to say the Hummer looked pretty good for what it went through.

Be careful out there!

How fast was the Hummer going do you think?

Thats why there should be a law.. say, after 65 years of age you have to take your road test every 3 years.

I've seen a lot of old people nearly get themselves in an accident or create an accident by driving too slow, not using their turn signal, yada yada yada.

If you can't drive, get off the road.

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

Thats why there should be a law.. say, after 65 years of age you have to take your road test every 3 years.

I've seen a lot of old people nearly get themselves in an accident or create an accident by driving too slow, not using their turn signal, yada yada yada.

-Eric

That's always a touchy subject...asking the elderly to take a test. Not that I don't agree with it but i think you would have to push the age requirement up pretty far (80 perhaps) to make it more palatable. But then statistically, I believe, young drivers are the worst drivers. Of course they'll all tell you differently (lol). Should we just not allow them to drive until they're 20? And shouldn't we just take away the licenses of the 25-35 year olds because they drink and drive the most? Never an easy solution to such a large problem.

Another problem is that the penalties are a joke. I used to have a friend that had 3 DWIs. Any jail time? Sure.... 3 nights, one night in jail per offense. He lost his license for 6 months. I'll bet if the penalty for driving while intoxicated was castration or mastectomy it would cease to be a problem. My point is the current punishments are a joke compared to the offense.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I agree . I'm a truck driver & some of the older people just don't seem to think before they do something . Then again anybody younger than 65 is just in too much of a rush to think ................................................I can't win . :unsure:

I agree . I'm a truck driver & some of the older people just don't seem to think before they do something . Then again anybody younger than 65 is just in too much of a rush to think ................................................I can't win . :unsure:

Yah, it is a touchy subject. Look at it this way.

Your independence is the most important thing in your life. That is why we live in North America. Driving a car is independence. Now picture someone taking this away.

I have many elderly clients and the upmost subject on their minds is independence. No one want's (most no one) to depend on someone else for help.

Your independence is one of the key's to long life.

Yah, they are a PITA on the road, (pain in the *smurf*), but we will be there as well.

Keep smileing. :)

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Yes, hopefully we will live long enough to be there as well. One thing I have observed is bad driving habits learned earlier in life make bad drivers later in life. Those bad habits may not present a problem earlier in life due to good vision, reaction, etc that covers for these bad habits. But people don't change and later in life when they are not as well physically, these bad habits present themselves as being dangerous. Bad habits include being a nervous and jerky driver, not being aware of traffic around, unnecessary braking and correction, not driving with the flow of traffic, following to close, etc.

I happen to know a fellow who is 95 and still driving. I rode with him several times and he drives very competently and I felt very safe riding with him. He doesn't drive slow like most older drivers, but he drives with the flow of traffic and keeps a good distance between him and the car in front of him. He also drives very smoothly and without constant correction like many Los Angeles drivers. It is obvious that he must have been a good driver in his younger years also.

IPB Image

Scotty:

I looked to me that the Hummer was going less than the speed limit (55). Even though he didn't have a moment's warning as she came out of a hidden side street, he was almost able to avoid hitting her.

The lady told me she was on the way to a prayer meeting (ain't that a kick in the head) and was very concerned that I find her two bibles. I found one and sent it along with her in the ambulance.

She was of Asian extraction and I found it hard to understand her. I said she was elderly but she might not have been more than late 50's or early 60's,

I was really ticked with the 911 operator. She kept asking me what was the extent of her injuries and what kind of injuries she had. Except for the wreck she was in and her constant moaning, I couldn't tell if she had any injuries and certainly wasn't going to move her unless there was a danger of fire.

I'm 76 so the subject of seniors and driving is a touchy one for me. Still I would support the more frequent requirement of tests for seniors. I know a couple of people in their 90's who drive exceedingly well and should be allowed to do so but I know some others that just shouldn't be on the road as they don't see well enough. Another of our social problems that are hard to solve.

Scotty:

I looked to me that the Hummer was going less than the speed limit (55). Even though he didn't have a moment's warning as she came out of a hidden side street, he was almost able to avoid hitting her.

The lady told me she was on the way to a prayer meeting (ain't that a kick in the head) and was very concerned that I find her two bibles. I found one and sent it along with her in the ambulance.

She was of Asian extraction and I found it hard to understand her. I said she was elderly but she might not have been more than late 50's or early 60's,

I was really ticked with the 911 operator. She kept asking me what was the extent of her injuries and what kind of injuries she had. Except for the wreck she was in and her constant moaning, I couldn't tell if she had any injuries and certainly wasn't going to move her unless there was a danger of fire.

I'm 76 so the subject of seniors and driving is a touchy one for me. Still I would support the more frequent requirement of tests for seniors. I know a couple of people in their 90's who drive exceedingly well and should be allowed to do so but I know some others that just shouldn't be on the road as they don't see well enough. Another of our social problems that are hard to solve.

That was very nice of you Dasher to stop and help her out and to be so concerned. The Hummer is so much higher than your typical car that its lucky she was not hit broadside, its doubtful she would have lived, as it as at her age she will take some time to recover. My grandmother is 80 and I am concerned about her as she has lost some of her mental sharpness and red lights and stop signs are perfect places for lapses.... If she lost her right to drive however it would kill her..... Thanks

Here in Canada, the Government is really easing up on marijuana laws, but really cracking down on drunk drivers. Every day there are radio commercials against drunk driving.

The statistics show that drunk driving is a serious problem and I too believe that if your caught DUI, bamm.....you lose your license for at least a month.

You cant put a price on someones life.

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Without incriminating myself this is difficult to answer. That said, the lack of focus, propensity to SPACE OUT, and the diminished reaction time from being stoned hopefully will not come home to roost as accidents result from it.

Well a 3600lbs buick up against a 6400lbs hummer doesn't seem like much of a contest to me. I don't think its the buick's lack of substance I think it was the fact that it was hit by almost twice as much as it weights. I personally think vehicles like the h2 should be out lawed as they are a hazard to basically every car on the road. I have seen the result of H2 versus honda civic and is wasn't pretty site to say the least. But that is just my opinion.

2 95concours:

What about 80000 pound trucks?

I agree with Ed Hall and Dasher.

I guess I read in AAA magazine about it and there was a good idea: After certain age whatever violation happened - please take a test for driving.

"Yah, it is a touchy subject. Look at it this way.

Your independence is the most important thing in your life." Yes, it is a touchy subject. But we do live together and share one road. That's why we have a laws.

We do not allow to drive drunk people, but allow to drive people with no reaction. I beleive that for somebody his independence much more important than others life, but we should sacrifice something. And it's dangerous for both sides anyway.

I see do see your point, however a special license is needed to drive such a large and heavy vehicle. From what I have seen the bumbers on trucks much more effectively line up with those of cars, where as the large suv's will hit your trunk rendering the bumber completly useless. I guess I was just pissed when I said they should be out lawed because I was almost run into the barrier by one this morning who failed to look before he changed lanes.

I happen to know a fellow who is 95 and still driving. I rode with him several times and he drives very competently and I felt very safe riding with him. He doesn't drive slow like most older drivers, but he drives with the flow of traffic and keeps a good distance between him and the car in front of him. He also drives very smoothly and without constant correction like many Los Angeles drivers. It is obvious that he must have been a good driver in his younger years also.

I know a fellow driver that hauls mobile homes (14 ft by 80 foot etc ) he can put those combo's places I couldn't dream of . I was just venting from my days drive . Oh by the way his name is Dick & he is ................................................................................

................................................................................

........................................87 :lol:

Wow, driving tests, lapses, accidents, aging... almost like religion and politics here...

I am 46, I drive a Sedan deVille because everyone (except the kids in the Japanese-rockets) seem to drive SUV's. I have a fighting chance that the one on the cell phone changing lanes overtop of me will not kill me due to my car's size and weight.

I drove a race car for a few years of Saturday night racing and did the "Days of Thunder thing"... I hit everything but the pace car... then I learned the limits of my car. It is sad that as we provide more and more drivers the priveledge of joining our traffic on the roads, we do not appear to insist on top notch training. It is also sad that as we age as supposed responsible, mature adults; we feel offended by the idea that we need to "measure up" for the challenges of the road just as much as a new driver. We need to check our egos at the door and realize this is a priveledge and not a right of independence. If your kid piles up the family sedan, you sure think twice before letting him have it again.

I think every new driver should hit something hard. Having said that, it should be in a car built to do so, with a crash cage, a five-point harness, a fire suit and a helmet; and part of their formal training. It should also be in the type of car they tend to prefer: whatever that is when they are trained. I think every older driver should be sent back to school after an accident and tested yearly as well. I believe it should start at 50 and the results evaluated over the next 20 years: a decline proves the worth. There will never be as few drivers sharing the road as there were tonight on your way home. I almost got hit tonight by a driver in a $50,000 (CAN)($22,500 US) AUDI wagon on the cell phone... 3 lanes changed within about 200' at 65 mph and no apparent reason for the urgency to inhabit my space on the road. We need to outlaw cell phone use in cars by the driver... period, no exceptions.

My rant for tonight too...

Mike P

This photo was in the paper today here on Long Island, NY. Two 18 year old girls were killed when they ran into an SUV with THIS Maxima!

Heavy and Big wins everytime, I just don't know how this will ever be resolved.

post-3-1099707486.jpg

I havent read every reply here...but ....

Ive seen Truck against Truck accidents down here and im talking about Hummer H2 against F250 or Hummer H2 against Dodge Ram.....and from what Ive seen the H2 sucks when it comes to collisions against other trucks....they totally disinegrate and their roof structure completely foils.

I personally think vehicles like the h2 should be out lawed as they are a hazard to basically every car on the road.

95concours,

I know that you were upset that you were nearly forced into a guard rail by an "SUV", and that is why you responded they way that you did. You should be aware that there are those out there who thing that your Concours should be outlawed as well. If they had thier way, we would all be getting around in horse drawn Yugos. :P . Then we would have the likes of PETA after us. <_< You can't win.

I have a 94 SLS and a 96 GMC 1/2 ton FWD Suburban. I know people that think that both of these vehicles should be outlawed and the told me so in no uncertain terms! :angry:

Life is not fair, and never has been. Driving a Civic or other small light automobile in heavy traffic is a risk that I refuse to take. If the woman in the story had pulled out in front of someone in a Civic, for instance, the Civic driver would porbably been the one transported to the hospital. (Or worse.) :(

While we are on the subject, there are people who think that OTR trucks should be banned also. They are so short sighted that the whole country would cease to operate if the trucks were actually stopped. How would the groceries get to the store, and the gas to the gas stations? These people are beyond ignorant! :blink:

We are VERY fortunate to live in a country that allows us to live as we do.

Take care out there, & be alert, because if you don't, some day you will meet some one else that isn't paying attention either. :o

Britt

Britt

-Eric

I'm not sure a test is any good for elderly but vision as well as a neurological examination are in order to help assess the way they see and how their reflexes are working.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Thought I'd throw up a late response, just noticed this thread. Here's a prediction: There's too much debate and hurt feelings right now about whether to require testing of young or old drivers, therefore in a few years as more and more of us are on the road we'll see a gradual restrictive trend, and eventually there'll be periodic testing of all drivers, being licensed may become very costly in terms of drivers' licensees, insurance, etc., and there may even be times of the day or week when certain classes of drivers aren't allowed on the street. It'll start happening in some of the smaller more congested states that are going to be struggling to meet the rising expense and logistics of traffic control and highway upkeep.

Example: When I turned 18 I paid a couple of bucks extra and took a short written test and got upgraded to a commercial chauffers license. I kept it for over 30 years, until it went national. Now only certain ones can have this license, because there are a ton of new requirements on a nationwide basis, and you can't just go get one because you want it. We'll see, won't we?

• 1 month later...

Big Vehicles always win if theres a collison and the other vehicle is a compact- mid size car. Even alot of the times if theres a fulle size sedan the SUV always get the better of it!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I live and work in a retirement community. Also qualify as a Senior. I'm VERY much in favor of retesting on the elders and would not have an objection to retaking my test.

Here in Florida licenses can be renewed for eight years by mail, not even an eye test!!

Archived