CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

On Being a Politician

A Politician's Clear Position on Whiskey

If only we could get away from zealotry in politics and get back to pragmatic views by reasonable legislators.

In 1952, Noah S. "Soggy" Sweat, Jr., a member of the Mississippi House of Representatives, was asked about his position on whiskey.

Here's how he answered:

"If you mean whiskey, the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean that evil drink that topples Christian men and women from the pinnacles of righteous and gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, shame, despair, helplessness, and hopelessness, then, my friend, I am opposed to it with every fiber of my being.

"However, if by whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the elixir of life, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer, the stimulating sip that puts a little spring in the step of an elderly gentleman on a frosty morning; if you mean that drink that enables man to magnify his joy, and to forget life's great tragedies and heartbreaks and sorrow; if you mean that drink the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars each year, that provides tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitifully aged and infirm, to build the finest highways, hospitals, universities, and community colleges in this nation, then my friend, I am absolutely, unequivocally in favor of it.

This is my position, and as always, I refuse to compromise on matters of principle."

--Author unknown

---------------------------------------

I was reminded of this story after reading an opinion journalist today who accused our Current Leader of "articulating vagueness." WOW! Another oxymoron for my collection. :D

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Yes, our fearless leader who everyday so articulately says absolutely nothing.

Maybe we need to revisit his campaign statement, "Words Just Words". I always took that to mean, words mean nothing. Typical demagogue http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demagogy

tick, tick, tick Nov 2012 is coming

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Obama_Tailgate_Sticker.jpg

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Did you notice the license plate on that one...

TEXAS....:D :D

Yes Jim, I sure did. Ya know, maybe we should start a gallery of tailgate "bumper stickers." There's gotta be plenty of them out there. :D

Posted Image

Did you notice the license plate on that one...

TEXAS....:D :D

Yes Jim, I sure did. Ya know, maybe we should start a gallery of tailgate "bumper stickers." There's gotta be plenty of them out there. :D

Oh, there are a lot of them running around... :D

There are more than a few that are not happy with the way things are going.

You know one of Obama;s campaign pledges was for "CHANGE"...

A regular bumper sticker that you see a LOT of around here is...

I will keep my Freedom, my Money and my Guns

YOU can keep the CHANGE...

:) :)

Posted Image

Archived