CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Air outlet spits out foam bits

Hello,

My 92 Eldo has a spitting problem.

With the air blower fan on, bits of black foam may spit out the center air vents and sometimes sides.

I doubt I can do anything to correct this short of dash removal etc. but I'd like to know where the foam comes from?

Is it an insulation gasket from the air inlet assembly or some air filter degrading?

Curious to know if anybody can identify the source of the foam.

Thanks !!

If I recall that foam is in each AC outlet. It flew out of the outlets on my 91 Seville also and once hit me in the eye while I was driving.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

completely normal. it is sticky when you pick it up. As long as water, freon, birds, bugs, or coolant dont come through it should be ok lol

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

If you pull the vent you'll see that the flapper door that opens and closes the vent has the foam sandwiched between two halves and it sticks out just a tad to seal the door when closed. About all you can do is remove what's left so as to stop it from being annoying. I'm surprised yours too this long to deteriorate.

put some screen door material in front or behind the vents.

i know..... gheeeetto LOL. But if I had that and a saggy headliner that blew around foam from that too I would go to extreme measures to halt all that crap LOL.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Thanks Ranger, I'll look into it. The service manual shows how to pull the vents, if that is what you mean.

San Francisco has temperate climate and the car has always been garaged. i.e. well preserved.

Coupe DTS, or maybe I'll put a hair net over it !! homey style !

Ive taken alot of the dash apart on my 83 deville and its a very very clean car top to bottom and none of the foam in the vents is brittle or falling apart. However the glue that holds foam and felt on the insides of dash panels and such has quit holding. Thats probably your problem the glues arent holding things together anymore.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Thanks Ranger, I'll look into it. The service manual shows how to pull the vents, if that is what you mean.

San Francisco has temperate climate and the car has always been garaged. i.e. well preserved.

Coupe DTS, or maybe I'll put a hair net over it !! homey style !

Yes, that's what I meant.

Archived