CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'94 Eldo, a/c no blow

Ion

Hi...

Today, for the first time ever since owning this car, the a/c did not blow. Compressor is only a few years old, clutch still engages and Accumulator/Drier is cold, just no flow out from the vents. Is it safe to assume the blower motor is done?

blower does not work in any function? a/c on and off. hvac set to dash or floor. your thread says no blower with a/c function but in fact your blower does not work on any setting.

Again, clarification, is the blower running (and no air is coming out) or can you not hear the blower (and no air is coming out); if the latter, then the most probable cause would be a motor gone bad (perhaps brushes used up or hanging and not making contact).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Again, clarification, is the blower running (and no air is coming out) or can you not hear the blower (and no air is coming out); if the latter, then the most probable cause would be a motor gone bad (perhaps brushes used up or hanging and not making contact).

Tested voltage from pigtail and was present and normal. Next, ran direct from battery to pigtail connector on motor, pos. to red, neg to black and nothing. In the process, I noticed black wire slot in connector was a bit melted, so I pulled flat connector off from where it was melted into plastic, scraped it off a bit, plugged the pigtail back in and figured I'd give it one more try before having to go through the headache of pulling out old motor and installing new one. Guess what...blower now works! Go figure? Something relating to the blower caused resistance in the wiring, enough to cause the metal connector to melt into the plastic. My guess is the motor is not spinning freely / properly? After all, it 17 years old. I fully anticipate this to malfunction again and have to replace that motor sooner or later, but for now...it works! I have since accumulated lots of documentation re: how to perform this replacement from this forum and others, and none of them say it's a walk in the park.

Good day.

I have seen similar in my Olds Intrigue; the blower worked intermitantly and could sometimes be provoked into working by giving it a good thump (what was happening was that the brushes were hanging up in their channels and not always making electical contact on the armature). In my case I was able to free the sticking brushes (there was a burr in the brush channel), but thinking about your symptoms, your motor's brushes may just be worn out (at 17 years old); perhaps it is time for a new motor. Good luck.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

UPDATE!!!

Not sure what this is, but I noticed one of the wires in this connector had broken loose. I turned on the ac, with no blower running, then pushed the broken connection together and the motor came on. I then soldered it back together and so far so good. Can anyone tell me if what I did could actually have an affect on weather or ot the blower motor turns on or not? Or..what that connection is for?

post-6740-130832700261_thumb.jpg

UPDATE!!!

Not sure what this is, but I noticed one of the wires in this connector had broken loose. I turned on the ac, with no blower running, then pushed the broken connection together and the motor came on. I then soldered it back together and so far so good. Can anyone tell me if what I did could actually have an affect on weather or ot the blower motor turns on or not? Or..what that connection is for?

HERE'S THE PHOTO OF THE CONNECTION

UPDATE!!!

That is the high pressure temperature sensor. With the connector broken/not making contact, the compressor wouldn't run. I'm not sure why the blower motor wouldn't run in the ECON mode though.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

UPDATE!!!

That is the high pressure temperature sensor. With the connector broken/not making contact, the compressor wouldn't run. I'm not sure why the blower motor wouldn't run in the ECON mode though.

As of today and over 100 miles of use since this discovery 4 days ago, the blower motor is still running strong!

Archived