CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

fit

qwertyu22

Fitting? Tires? Engines? Radios? Batteries?

Try being more descriptive in your SUBJECT LINE, "FIT" is too vague

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

This question was also sent to me as a PM. This is awkward for lots of resons, not the least of which that I don't provide services to individuals for free.

Also, you didn't specify what you want to replace; I'll assume that it is an engine.

I bought my car new and have had to replace relatively few parts, most notably the engine, and I bought a remanufactured one from Jasper, so compatibility with my car was something addressed by Jasper.

But, from what I've learned from the Forum and from my Jasper invoice, a complete ready-to-install engine is compatable only over the years 1995-1997. A "long block" part is sold by GM that is compatible over the years 1995-1999 but it is a long way from ready-to-install.

Northstars of all years 1993-1999 come in two flavors, distinguished by the eighth VIN digit. VIN "9" engines are 300 hp (295 hp for 1993-1994) and VIN "Y" engines are 275 hp (270 hp for 1993-1994). They differ only in the intake cams, as far as I can tell. If you install a VIN "Y" engine in a VIN "9" car or vice-versa, you are almost certain to have driveability problems and may have OBD codes that prevent the car from passing emissions inspection. Changing the PCM only gets you in deeper because the VIN is programmed in lots of modules and you would have to change or reprogram them all, which makes just getting the right engine - or if necessary changing to the correct intake cams for your car - cheaper than trying to kludge it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Lower control arms for the front *should* fit for the 1992-2002 Eldorado and 1992-1997 Seville. There was a platform change for the Seville in 1998. Rear lower control arms should fit from 1992-1996 and 1997-1999; they switched from steel to allow control arms in 1999. But, I'm guessing. Someone more knowledgeable, or a part number search would tell the tale.

The EBTCM is a crap shoot. There are variations between models and years. For example, 1997 is the first year for Stabilitrak, and the EBTCM is where Stabilitrak lives. There were likely software upgrades for Stabilitrak and I don't know the years. Stabilitrak was standard on the Touring models, but I don't know which VIN "Y" cars had Stabilitrak. Look for "Active brake control" on the EBTCM; without thiat it won't support Stabilitrak. The safest thing to do is to do a part number search or look at the part number on your existing EBTCM.

From 1992 through 1997, the only differences between the Seville and Eldorado was six inches in the wheel base, and modifications in the platform and a few wire harness components because of the difference in wheelbase. An Eldorado EBTCM should fit a Seville of the same year and eighth VIN digit and vice versa. But, again, a part number search will tell the tale.

To do a part number search, find an online source for your part, such as Rock Auto. Look up the part for your car and find the AC/Delco if one is offered (or the best one if they don't have an AC/Delco part) and write down the part number. Then look up the same part for the model and year of the car the part comes from and see if it's the same part number.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived