CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 eldo power window switch

notch8

Hey all

It's been awhile since I've posted, still got the '96 Eldo, 84k miles and runs great!

Problem: when I use express down, the window won't go up until I wait a couple of minutes, then it

goes up fine. It works perfectly , up and down, as many times as you want, as long as you don't use the express down feature.

I first thought the motor was overheating on express down but after reading my FSM, I think it's

the express down module contained in the window switch assembly. Page 8A-120-2 in my '97 FSM.

I have taken the switch out and have the switch removed from the flat trim plate. I have the white

plastic bottom off exposing the pc board.

I don't know how to get the rockers off to continue disassembly. I want to inspect and clean the switches.

I'm sure someone has already done this but I couldn't find it in the archives.

Any help is much appreciated. I don't want to tear this thing up trying to get it apart.

Thanks-Roger

I might have this post in the wrong forum, if so , I apologize. I didn't see Eldos listed and I don't know how to move it to the correct forum, sorry.

it is very difficult to disassemble the switches completely but it sounds to me like the button for the express down gets stuck when pushed and releases after a few minutes, I would say turn the car off and repeatedly press the express down button to exercise the switch and try it to see if it works, if not I recommend replacing the master switch assembly

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

This happens most often as a result of the electronics within the switch "hanging up." No amount of contact cleaning will help.

To test this, use the express down function to lock the window in the down position. Turn the ignition off, open and close the door to turn off the R.A.P., and wait 10-15 seconds before turning the ignition back on. If the window now goes up properly it's almost certain the electronics in the switch are bad.

By removing battery voltage from the switch assembly you will have allowed it to "unhang."

Regards,

Warren

P.S. R.A.P. = Retained Accessory Power.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

express down is an option? my car does not have it. guess there were optioned up sts models and strippers? my drivers window will sometimes stop 1/2 way down. wait a few minutes and it goes right back up. i suppose a 2nd unit could have same issues. might work fine though.

Thanks to all for the info. I'll try your test Warren. What about using express down, then unplugging harness from switch, wait 10-15, reconnect and try? Same difference or will RAP beat me?

Thanks again

Roger

Well, it looks like I inadvertently lied to you guys- looks like I need a new window motor. On express down it goes about 1/2 down, stops, & low noise from motor, then nothing, no up, down- no nothing. Wait 2 mins. & it works again. Try again, either way, it stops-wait-it works a little.

I'm going to check all the connections & take the motor out. My '97 FSM talks about the regulator and the counterbalance spring and 2 special tools to work on this stuff. Currently the window is fully up. Do I need all these special tools just to change the window motor?

I haven't taken the door trim off yet- just trying to gather as much info. as I can before I start the job.

Many thanks

Roger

works and stops? so how does that prove it needs new motor? seems to me a balky switch/contacts would be a more probable cause. i have done several grand prix regulators. the pulleys and cables like to shred. very rare does the motor die. i took out my window switch assy. real easy to get out. but i do not want to take it apart to check it or clean it. and i am sure it is pricey. maybe a junkyard one would work better. certainly not newer but maybe it is in better shape than mine.

works and stops? so how does that prove it needs new motor? seems to me a balky switch/contacts would be a more probable cause. i have done several grand prix regulators. the pulleys and cables like to shred. very rare does the motor die. i took out my window switch assy. real easy to get out. but i do not want to take it apart to check it or clean it. and i am sure it is pricey. maybe a junkyard one would work better. certainly not newer but maybe it is in better shape than mine.

Wow I am just the opposite, I have seen many motors go, they slow and stop as the window is lowered and dont have the power to go back up.

now on these cable driven regulators I say I must have done over 100 on almost every kind of vehicle from 97+, Easy money I say. Can you be more specific on your symptoms. Does the window go up good? if it does I say shy away from the motor as the motor works harder to pull the window up

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

well, there you go. the voice of experience. maybe it is motor. i did find many switch assy's online. aftermarket are 65 and gm are 90? not a ton of money. ironic. drivers window fails because it is used the most? switch, motor, drive assy? 3 other windows work fine. but each has its own seldom used parts. pass window goes up/down just fine. because its used 2% of time.

You won't be able to disassemble the switch without destroying it.

When the window will not go up, hold the switch in the up position and slam the door closed - 95% of the time, the window will begin working again. If that is the case, it is most likely a dead spot in the motor. My theory is the express down feature (which uses the stall current of the motor to activate the circuit in the switch to turn off the motor) causes the dead spots on the motor.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have overcome dead spots on the power window motor by tapping on the interior door panel. Just the other day, my Eldorado passenger door window was unresponsive to any window switch (drivers, and passenger side) commanding it to go down. The lights would dim slightly as the window switch was activated which let us know the switch was good. My brother said to tap on the door panel to overcome the sticking motor. He tapped the passenger door panel and the window works fine.

Latest update:

The switch is good.

The motor is good.

I disassembled motor, brushes were barely worn (84k), polished commutator, re-assembled, same problem:

window would go up & down 3-3 1/2 times and stop working untill I let it rest for a while- then motor

worked again.

Problem: Dirty, sticky old factory grease on the horizontal run channels and guide blocks causing the

window to bind enough to stall the motor out.

Solution: Cleaned old grease and dirt off with a rag and a little kerosene, lightly re-greased with tan colored Lubriplate and all is well. The motor now has enough umph to get the window over the tight spots.

Thanks to all

Roger

Now to fix my yellow driver's door mirror-dealer wants $500.00 for just the mirror and backingplate, $600.00

for the entire assembly. Guess mine's gonna stay yellow!!!

Interesting that the hardened grease was the cause of the problem.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

grease in window tracks? hmm. when my kid was 11-12 he and a friend threw snowballs at a passing car and broke mirror. driver happened to be parent of another friend of son and recognized my son. grr. wanted me to buy new mirror assy. said it was 250 or so. went to dealer and got new separate mirror glass for 25 and put it on myself. owner was impressed by how simple mirror attached. kids.

should have mentioned other car was not caddy. must have auto-dimming mirror? aren't they supposed to be yellow?

Archived