CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hunter Road Force

Logan

Haven't had time to review this...some may find it useful...you may end up knowing more the the tech.

http://www.weber.edu/WSUImages/automotive/GSP%209700%20Operation%20Manual.pdf

Goes to show....what you really need is the tech who spends the 20 minutes per wheel to get it right.

Thanks for sending this along! Using this equipment correctly, there is no reason that anyone should have a trie balance issue. But therein lies the problem. For as often as my local shop has solved problems for me, I can now see that first, they could have done better, and second they really don't know everything that this machine is capable of. In the end this post will probably get me into big trouble with them someday!!

The book really starts getting good on page 69 when it starts talking about flat spotting of cold tires (my pet peave) and this little tidbit:

“Lube is Good!” Proper lubrication on the tire bead and rim areas including bead

seat, hump, balcony, and drop center are vital in achieving proper seating of the tire

bead to the wheel assembly. Aggressive acceleration or braking should be avoided

for the first 500 miles to prevent tire to wheel slippage.

NOW, who here has ever been told of THAT by a tire shop?

I also found the "splitting weights" portion of the manual very interesting. I bet only 1 out of 100 tire mechanics knows how to do that correctly!

Also I'd like to mention that the newer model balancer projects a laser beam onto the tire and rim to indicate the correct placement of the weights or match marks as required.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Thanks for sending this along! Using this equipment correctly, there is no reason that anyone should have a trie balance issue. But therein lies the problem. For as often as my local shop has solved problems for me, I can now see that first, they could have done better, and second they really don't know everything that this machine is capable of. In the end this post will probably get me into big trouble with them someday!!

The book really starts getting good on page 69 when it starts talking about flat spotting of cold tires (my pet peave) and this little tidbit:

"Lube is Good!" Proper lubrication on the tire bead and rim areas including bead

seat, hump, balcony, and drop center are vital in achieving proper seating of the tire

bead to the wheel assembly. Aggressive acceleration or braking should be avoided

for the first 500 miles to prevent tire to wheel slippage.

NOW, who here has ever been told of THAT by a tire shop?

I also found the "splitting weights" portion of the manual very interesting. I bet only 1 out of 100 tire mechanics knows how to do that correctly!

Also I'd like to mention that the newer model balancer projects a laser beam onto the tire and rim to indicate the correct placement of the weights or match marks as required.

THANK YOU...

I hadn't got that far in the manual yet.

Aggressive acceleration or braking should be avoided for the first 500 miles to prevent tire to wheel slippage.

It makes perfect logical sense...but that never crossed my mind.

But I know it "NOW"... :) :)

Posted Image

When I got my third set of tires for my Pontiac Grand Am GT with the Quad 4 HO, I spun both front wheels inside the tires pulling out of the driveway. The front wheels had to be re-balanced.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

When I got my third set of tires for my Pontiac Grand Am GT with the Quad 4 HO, I spun both front wheels inside the tires pulling out of the driveway. The front wheels had to be re-balanced.

I'd say "not too shabby" for what we used to call half an engine! Sounds like that one ran pretty darn good.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I loved that Pontiac. However, it wasn't the long-haul car that my Eldorado is. The thing that convinced me that I needed to trade it in was a crack in the dashboard that went from the windshield to the ash tray, all the way through and all the way from top to bottom. But it was a runner for what it was, and the reliability and gas mileage were great. That car loved the open road, and with the Level III suspension package it handled better than any other sedan that I have ever driven.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived