CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel Filter Removal

tomcad95

The first time I did it, it was tricky as I had never worked with an in line connector before. You will need a GM fuel line disconnect tool.

Something like this

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-quick-disconnect-tool-set-38732.html

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I've never used a special tool for it. I'm assuming it's just like my 95 STS, so it'll be a little canister under the rear door on the driver's side. It's inline, and the line connects to the filter with some plastic tabs. I pressed the tabs in with a screwdriver and slid it off.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

I have not replaced a fuel filter, but disconnected fuel lines while dropping the tank. They were quick connect type connectors. Lube the o-rings with motor oil before reconnecting.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

ouch I have never put oil on before I reconnected the lines, I specialize in work with retrofitting fuel lines, repairing fuel lines, and It is recommended not to use anything but to inspect booth the o-ring and the clear clip.

Now the 95 kind of sucks because one side of the filter, the engine side, is not quick disconnect but a screw on fitting which is usually very tight, and the tank side is quick disconnect. Overall not bad though

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

ouch I have never put oil on before I reconnected the lines, I specialize in work with retrofitting fuel lines, repairing fuel lines, and It is recommended not to use anything but to inspect booth the o-ring and the clear clip.

Now the 95 kind of sucks because one side of the filter, the engine side, is not quick disconnect but a screw on fitting which is usually very tight, and the tank side is quick disconnect. Overall not bad though

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I changed my filter and there seems to be a leak from the front side of the filter (towards motor]. I figure, I'm going to change the o-ring, does anyone know what size it might be and where is the best place I can purchase it from. Thanks

I changed my filter and there seems to be a leak from the front side of the filter (towards motor]. I figure, I'm going to change the o-ring, does anyone know what size it might be and where is the best place I can purchase it from. Thanks

Any parts store sell sets of o-rings. I bought a set like this on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/407-PCS-O-RING-ASSORTMENT-KIT-W-CASE-QUALITY-O-RINGS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem51965396d3QQitemZ350414411475QQptZWholesaleQ5fLots#ht_2597wt_917

That's what FSM recommended - putting some motor oil on the o-ring before reassembling.

That's what FSM recommended - putting some motor oil on the o-ring before reassembling.

I took the old o-ring out, and i'm having a hard time getting the new one in, I even tried to put the old one back

in with no luck. Is there a tool I can use for this, or a special way of inserting the o-ring. There is very little

room to work with. Thanks

I took the old o-ring out, and i'm having a hard time getting the new one in, I even tried to put the old one back

in with no luck. Is there a tool I can use for this, or a special way of inserting the o-ring. There is very little

room to work with. Thanks

I do not think there is a special tool. Try a small flat screwdriver.

Archived