CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Not happy

67coupedeville

On the air cleaner box of my 1990 and 1991 Cadillacs reads "4.5L (90) 4.9L (91) Made Exclusively For Cadillac By General Motors". I always thought that the Northstar would be the same. Apparently not, is the Bonneville GXP a Cadillac SLS with different panels? If so, not impressed at all <_<

Spence

The GXP gets the 275 HP Northstar version. Maybe a 2004 model SLS owner can tell us if the the engine trim cover / silencer on the 275 HP engine still says "Made Exlusively for Cadillac..."

I know the 300 HP version had that label in '98.

That's quite a list of vehicles. Do you still have them, or is that a historical inventory?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Yea they're all ours, the 67 Caddy was my grandfathers as well as the 90. He passed away about 12 years ago and we inherited them. I drive the 67 during the summer everyday. The 90 gets maybe 1000 miles a summer.

The 1991 Caddy is my Dad's, he drives that everyday.

The LHS is a total loss vehicle we bought and fixed up, nice car but the plan is to sell is and put a transmission in our 95 Eldorado we bought off of this very site :D

The 92 Chevy 4x4 is mine, as well as the 85 GMC. The 85 was my first truck when I was 16, has kind of become the beater, rides like poop but I still love her even after a motor and two rear ends :o .

My mom bought the Mercedes on a whim about 10 years ago, the new set of tires we put on it about 3 years ago has less than 1000 miles.

Wish I could drive more than one at a time. Too many vehicles, not enough miles to drive :lol:

Spence

On the air cleaner box of my 1990 and 1991 Cadillacs reads "4.5L (90) 4.9L (91) Made Exclusively For Cadillac By General Motors". I always thought that the Northstar would be the same. Apparently not, is the Bonneville GXP a Cadillac SLS with different panels? If so, not impressed at all <_<

Spence

So are you also disappointed then that the CTS-V got a Corvette motor???

I'll never understand the interbrand jealousy that exists... Some of the Vette guys also got upset that their beloved Corvette LS6 is being put in a, "grandpa car" and that the XLR is being built in the same plant as the newest Corvette... Oh the humanity...

I see nothing wrong with sharing technology across the GM line, in fact I'm glad they do it...

The ultimate upset was in 1977 when Cadillac used Oldsmobile engines, now that would upset me more. Hey the NS engine has been ranked as one of the best engines in the world. If nothing else maybe this kind of a move will begin to produce performace modifications for our 'old man' engines!

On the air cleaner box of my 1990 and 1991 Cadillacs reads "4.5L (90) 4.9L (91) Made Exclusively For Cadillac By General Motors".  I always thought that the Northstar would be the same.  Apparently not, is the Bonneville GXP a Cadillac SLS with different panels?  If so, not impressed at all.

...But we're really happy GM decided to share the new Corvette chassis with us for our XLR, right??

I agree with Wake. Stovepiping and technology hoarding does nobody any good.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The first I remember was the '76 Seville that used the Olds 350 engine.

It makes the most business sense to share engines. At one time, there were three 350 V8 engines. Chevy, Pontiac, Olds also had 302, 305, 301, and 307 cu-in engines. It makes much more sense to have one engine shared across platforms rather than duplicate efforts.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The first I remember was the '76 Seville that used the Olds 350 engine.

It makes the most business sense to share engines.  At one time, there were three 350 V8 engines.  Chevy, Pontiac, Olds also had 302, 305, 301, and 307 cu-in engines.  It makes much more sense to have one engine shared across platforms rather than duplicate efforts.

While I agree with you from the stand point of economics for GM that its cost effective for them. However to share the NS engine with say an SS IMPALA, would sort of devalue the Cadillac if you know what I mean. I think that is why the Corvette guys were upset about their engine going into the CTS-V. In the old days each car has it's own engine 'feel', that is what freaked me out about Cadillac using the Olds engine.

I hear both sides. Ford has used common engines for as long as I can remember.

My '93 Fleetwood Brougham has a Chevrolet 350 in it. That doesn't bother me a bit. I love to see the look on some of the punks in their Japanese grinders (with leaf blower exhaust) when I leave them in the dust without any effort at all.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I hear both sides. Ford has used common engines for as long as I can remember.

My '93 Fleetwood Brougham has a Chevrolet 350 in it. That doesn't bother me a bit. I love to see the look on some of the punks in their Japanese grinders (with leaf blower exhaust) when I leave them in the dust without any effort at all.

Exactly your 350 chevy has many more performance options! That is what I was thinking about the NS being used in the Pontiac

Ok so when is cadillac going to put the LS6 into the XLR :)

Now that would piss off a lot of vette owners wouldn't It? heheh

I believe what you will see is an XLR-V, along with an STS-V. A blown (supercharged) vesion of the N* putting out >425hp.. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I think they should use Cadillac Engines and Corvette engines in the respective brands EXCLUSIVLEY for 3 years or more. This would allow people who want cutting edge technology over their nighbors to have it. This would also allow GM to field test the engines for the 3 years.

I am not totally opposed to engine sharing, but I believe it is in GM's best long term interest to keep the exclusivity thing going for a time.

I just think that it would take away from Cadillac. People can see that a Ponitac is going to be a lot less money than the Cadillac and buy the Pontiac instead and receive the same power. Same thing with Chrysler and Mercedes-Benz sharing the same car between the Crossfire and SLK Roadster. Why pay around $10,000 more for a Benz emblem? I understand if you have buckets of $$$, no prob, I just figure most people can see through these different badging of vehicles.

Don't mean to offend anyone but does anyone remember a four cylinder Cadillac Cimarron? A Cavalier with crests :P

I guess I'm just a little too hardcore Cadillac...it would be fine if we could share the Chevy motors, but hug the Northstar with a kung-fu grip :lol:

Spence :ph34r:

The Bonneville goes away after model year 2005. So it will be a short lived issue.....

You know....I know a guy that has been around Cadillac for years..Driven all kinds, worked on them, in fact seems to have a downright emotional attachment to them...And you know what he told after he drove the new N* powered GXP for a month or two?

Well, I'm gonna tell you ;)

This guy said he could easily take it over the STS, and so might I after I drove one. It is that well engineered. I also remembering him telling me to becareful letting my wife near the GXP, as that might be the last time I see my STS...trade in... :(

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

A Cadillac is much more than the engine. A Cadillac is elegant lines. A Cadillac is stuble, yet stately interiors (at least in the past). A Cadillac is just the right amount of brightwork (chrome) in just the right places.

A Northstar engine in a Bonneville does NOT a Cadillac equal make. You could put a V6 in the 92-97 generation Seville and it'd still be just as distinctive, just as classy, just as instantly recognizable as a Cadillac. Just as you can put a Northstar engine into a Bonneville, and it's instantly recognizable as a Pontiac; the wild interior design (yuck), the red gauges, the sporty exterior (a beauty). Just as you can put a Wreath and Crest on a Cavalier and it's instantly recognizable as...uh...a Cavalier.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

2 points .

I think if the NS gets into a few other vehicles it WILL promote more after market goodies .......... But a Caddy Bonneville ?;)

Philli Dude come to Reading Pa ( I live near ) I've seen a half dozen of those Cavaliers w/ Caddy badges running around yet . :lol:

Archived