CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

steam cleaner

caddy_man

one bit of warning dont ,these cars have more sensors and electical connections than god you are asking for all kinds of electrical malfuntions if you dont believe me call any detail shop

I have never used a steam cleaner but I doubt it will hurt anything. I use a pressure washer because I have one. Before that I used a garden hose. Just use common sense. Don't drown the coil packs or try to clean the inside of the alternator and you'll be fine. Heat it up and dry it out good when your done.

DON,T USE IT, if you do not know what you are doing and accidentaly go over your fender with it, you stand a real good chance of knocking the clear coat off of that area. STEAM pluse a cold or warmengine and lots of water droplets forming provides for condensation, in places you never were near. I just use simple green diluted, spray engine area , respray, and rinse with hose and strong nozzel . I do not do it when engine is hot or warm , if you do it when it is cold the chance of condensation forming in all of the wroung places is nill, after this i take my leaf blower and blow excess water off of engine where it has pooled, start engine let run about 15 minutes , drive around block , and then wipe any remaining spots with cloth. I use to steam my engines back in the 60s , but all you really had to worry about was the distributor cap. Now it is a whole new ball game. The downside to steam is a whole lot more than the upside, when their are just as good of alternatives.

This post went around a while back with some good stuff.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...hl=clean+engine

Be as carefull of the driveway when you leave. I still hear about the crud I left on it from the truck and Caddy from years ago. <_<

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

:D I got my 94 sls done professionally under the hood and underneath. What a difference. They also polished under the hood with Armor All. What difference. Looks like it came off the showroom. I think the guy there covered up something in back with a plastic bag, so water won't get in. Not sure, but perhaps the intake? The rest he first steamed , then going back and forth from using the hose to wash everything off and back to the steam. Then he dried everything off with the air hose, the detailed it using armol all. Now it smells great inside with the a/c on. Almost like a new car smell. So I would cover up the back area with a plastic bag. Mine worked fine after they were done. I drove it for a couple of days to make sure everything was bone dry.

Considering the the potential upside and then the potential downside, you might be courting disaster using steam or high pressure water to clean your engine. One concern might be the effect steam might have on underhood electronics, and I've seen high pressure water take a shingle off of a house.

A while back, Guru recommended Zep Purple as a cleaner. I cut it 50/50 with water and apply with a spray bottle, letting it sit for a few minutes. Then it gets rinsed with the hose on a "shower" setting. Seems to work very well.

FWIW

YMMV

DFB

Archived