CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Saw new STS

pats37

I really was underwhelmed. It looks too much like a CTS particularly size wise. Looks like the same platform. They want 61k for a loaded AWD model and I didn't navigate well getting in and out of it. I'm a pretty big guy.

I think I'll wait for the newly designed 2006 DTS. If that doesn't do it for me then I'll look at the longer Jag. I understand it will still be front wheel drive but my '98 STS is a bear in snow with traction control and stabilitrak.

Just don't like small cars and the new STS is too small. They must be aiming at a younger, less corpulent market. I'm 6'2" and 285 lbs. at age 63. I don't intend to go on a crash diet for a car! Test drove the new big Lexus and it was just as boring as the last test drive. Chrissakes, a car should act like a car! This one acts like an easy chair.

Just one mans opinion. If they downsize the 2006 DTS then they lose me for good.

I have to agree. The new STS could presumably be mistaken for the CTS and both are way too small and cramped, and I am of average height and weight. I still really don't care for the styling of either one. Some of the interior materials seem cheap and the fit of the interior panels was sub-par on the one I was in. Add in the hit-or-miss quality of the previous generations and I think I'll pass on this one. Sorry to say, they can keep 'em.

I would also agree that they resemble the cts far to much for my taste. I think they had the perfect ratio of sports and luxury for the past 12 years, but this new STS is more sports than luxury. It did not meet my expectations. It is still over all a fine looking car....

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I was in the passenger seat of one of my girlfriends car and we were driving in Philadelphia, in the passenger side mirror I caught a glimpse of an 05 sts's headlight parked. Immediately I turned around and saw that it was indeed the new sts parked a block away. We turned around and stopped, she wouldnt get out of the car. haha, but i took a good look at it. First time I actually got to take a look first hand. I was pretty impressed, I agree with the similarities of the cts but it is sooo much more sleeker and refined that the cts just doesnt look as good anymore. I definately agree that a cts can be mistaken for an sts from afar but once you catch a glimse of that bad *smurf* front end with those ridiculus(nice) headlights everything changes. Just how I feel about it.

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

I recently took a CTS - I mean an STS ;) out for a test ride. My initial impression was it looked too much like a CTS. The version I drove was an 8 cylinder RW drive and it had some get-up-an-go to it. But the vehicle seemed to be much lighter than my 96 STS and smaller, it had a more cockpit feel to it than my old 96. I was looking for a reason to buy and after the test drive, I wasn't convinced.

I think time will tell if this new design will be a winner or not - my guess is not. At 61K for the AW drive version, your money would be better spent on an Audi A8. :D

The commercials are starting to hit the Chicago area now. I have to agree, it looks a lot like a CTS. It has lost it's sleek looks and it's classy style. I think Cadillac blew it again.

I drove the STS with the 3.6 this week. Personally, I love the styling, even though some might confuse it with the CTS. To me, the ride is stiffer than my 99 SLS, the power steering very stiff on the road but good in parking. Wheelbase is about 4" longer than SLS but about 5 inches shorter. It should ride a lot better. Maybe it's those 17" wheels. There are different size tires on the front and the back. Why? I was told that the glass was specially coated to reduce noise but it didn't seem a bit quieter than the SLS. Cost was $42,835, generously equipped, I thought. All kids of power devices, both seats, steering wheel adjusting in and out, two driver adjustments, Bose radio, Sat ready, 6 disc changer, backup warning. Radio and info controls not near as complicated as CTS. No sunroof. I was ready to buy. I bought my SLS from same person, has 45K miles. I got offer of $10K for my car. Couldn't see that. I get 28-30 mpg on trips. Doubt if new STS will do that.

Ya, if ya don't have the "eye", ya could think it was a CTS. I still think it looks sharp....but.....the old STS was unmistakable on the road. This is where I think Caddy missed the mark. I will keep my "01" for a long while yet. My .02 cents.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

WOw, you guys are harsh, can you balme Cadillac? i mean really, if they continuded to make and sell giat FWD sedans, the foreign makes would just continue to bank on caddys potential market. now Im not dissin' my STS or any other older Cadillac, but times have changed and Cadillac is simply "getting with the times".

I say give Cadillac credit for finally bringing something new to the table which works and is helping them regain a wonderful reputation

I'll give them the cedit for competing, but I still think they missed the mark on the indviualality of the STS. This car has been the lead in Caddy tecno gizmo style stuff. It would seem no more.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

I, like most of you, dislike the new STS. I feel that it should be unique and not a carbon copy of the styling of the other model they sell....To me, they all have the same appearance-from the SRX to CTS to STS-they all look alike and that turns me away from purchasing another...When it comes time to replace my STS it will be either a 7 series from BMW or a S-Class from Mercedes...

Just my 2cents!!!

I've seen both and I don't like the way they look. The CTS and the new STS look too "Japanese" for my taste. I prefer cars that are low and wide.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

To me, they all have the same appearance-from the SRX to CTS to STS-they all look alike and that turns me away from purchasing another...When it comes time to replace my STS it will be either a 7 series from BMW or a S-Class from Mercedes...

What turns you away? The fact that they all look the same, or you don't like the styling? To me, all BMWs look the same, and all Mercedes look the same...or at least have the same styling cues. Cadillac integrated the new STS in with the rest of the line and I think it looks pretty good. I agree with Marika that it looks a big "edgy", which makes me think Japanese. The Infinity G35 comes to mind.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I agree with Marika that it looks a big "edgy", which makes me think Japanese.  The Infinity G35 comes to mind.

I don't like Japanese cars for at least three reasons:

-a- They look large on the outside and yet, when you get inside them, you feel crushed and cramped.

-b- September, 1991 I was involved in a head-on collision. I was driving a Honda Accord (which became a Honda Accordian after the accident). The other car, was a 1979 Oldsmobile. We Both approached a sharp turn on a road, coming from opposite directions. Something was one the road which made it very slippery in fact, so slippery that when the police officer arrived and tried to exit his vehicle, he fell down onto the road as well. To make a long story short, we hit at about 5-7mph. Not a scratch on the Olds. The Honda was destroyed (green, brown and red fluid was pouring out from under the car) and my passenger was bleeding profusely from his head even though his seatbelt was ON (honda later faced a class action lawsuit when it was determined that their seatbelts were FAILING under low speed impact). I didn't have my seatbelt on. I went head first into the windshield and smashed it and also broke the steering wheel with my chest. I walked away without a scratch, no doubt, the handy work of G-d saving my life that day.

-c- They are very expensive to repair in comparison to American cars.

Japanese cars are cute and good on gas but they are death traps and no one can convince me otherwise.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I dont know about 91 but i saw a acc. between a 18 wheeler and a 2003 honda crv on the freeway and the person walked away from it the trk hit the car in the side at about 45 MPH. After reading the crash test at 5 star i went out and bought one. I dont care about fixing after it gets hit as long as i'm still alive at the end thats whats important. I bought the CRV because it is 4X4 for the snow and I wont have to get me cadi in the salt. :)

WOw, you guys are harsh, can you balme Cadillac? i mean really, if they continuded to make and sell giat FWD sedans, the foreign makes would just continue to bank on caddys potential market. now Im not dissin' my STS or any other older Cadillac, but times have changed and Cadillac is simply "getting with the times".

I say give Cadillac credit for finally bringing something new to the table which works and is helping them regain a wonderful reputation

I feel pretty much the same way. And i think Jason hit it right on the nose. I think BMWs, Mercedes, lexus all pretty much look the same in their prospective brands. Before I owned a Cadillac I thought they all pretty much looked the same too. Good example of this is people. When I turn on the television and see scenes of African tribes, I find it difficult to distinguish one member from another much less the differences between tribes. Same can be said of Asians, Irish, Germans, Austrians, you get the point.

It's about familiarity. Cadillac members are very familiar with...... well caddys. I run into people all the time that can't tell the difference between STS, SLS, Deville, etc. and I can understand why.

Years ago a buddy of mine had a Coup DeVille and that baby was a tank. We smacked a guard rail 3 times at 65mph on an offramp and were able to drive it home (15 miles) comfortably. When he saw the "new" style that Cadillac was going with he started belly aching in pretty much the same fashion. And what would you be saying to him back then??? I can't help but laugh at how cyclic this is.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

To follow up on my comments that Jason asked...I just dont like the styling...

I realize that the BMW and Mercedes cars look alike as well but I just can not get on board with the Science and Technology theme Cadillac is currently following...

I do agree that Cadillac as a company cannot continue to sell to the F.O.P's in Palm Beach (FOP=F*#Kin Old People) :huh: and survive...Styles change but this particular one that Cadillac is doing just doesnt appeal to me... :(

Archived