CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

valve cover gasket replacement

sprucegoose

I have an oil leak coming of the back of the engine up high. it seems to be seeping on the exhaust manifold causing a wonderful odor and even slight smoke when you come to a stop. I pulled the top engine cover off and it appears that someone had tried to replace the cover gasket before as it is cleaner on that back surface than the front.

Any recomendations on gasket mfg. or tips on the install. Do you use high temp silicone sealant or is this just a o-ring style molded gasket? I see on rockauto.com there is a couple of options, one being Felpro. Is that kit any better? Both about $46 I think...

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Do you have oil visible on the top of the engine? Do you see it running down the rear bank on the firewall side?

Look it over closely, make sure its not the case half leak

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Do you have oil visible on the top of the engine? Do you see it running down the rear bank on the firewall side?

Look it over closely, make sure its not the case half leak

No, I don't really see any oil on top of the engine... It is seeping down the back side of the block (firewall side) below the valve cover from what I can see. Going to try and get a closer look with mirrow and light tomorrow. I think the case half seal is leaking also, but this seems a little high up for that.

My '93 Northstar had a slight dribble from the case half seal and it never got on the exhaust manifold like this. I do notice it more if I have been running it hard. Gotta get that daily WOT in you know! ;)

'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Removing those cam covers is no picnic. I believe you have to lower the front of the cradle to get enough clearance to remove the rear one.

Really! I wouldn't have thought you'd need to drop the cradle... :unsure: It does look a lot more complex that most of the V-8s I've done previously, but mostly because of the stuff on top (coil packs, etc.) and the spark plug boot holes. I just got my service manuals I bought on Ebay, so I'll have to check it out this weekend.

You just need to lower the cradle to get the cover off. Actually, lowering the cradle is to access the bolts for the coolant pipes that run across the back of the engine.

I would either use a GM part or a Felpro gasket for the replacement.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived