CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Theft System

redeldo

Yesterday I was in Atlanta and driving home on I75. The Eldo drove like a dream and was getting very good mileage.

Stopped at a car dealer for a few minutes and when I tried to start the car, the key turned and nothing happened. Tried 3 or 4 times then on the next try the engine started. The display showed "Theft System Problem" "Car may not restart"

This flashed all the way back home (25 miles). When arriving, I shut the engine off, waited a few seconds and it started just fine and no message. Today, the same, ok and no message.

Anyone know about this and am I facing a problem of getting stranded somewhere? Suggestions? Oh, it is a 97 Eldorado with 49,350 miles. Thanks!

Back in spring I had the "wait 3 minute" message and I think it was followed by the "may not resart" message. I bought a spare key to keep in the car just in case but have not had a problem since. FWIW

It sounds like your key (resister) or ignition lock cylinder may be failing.

Do you have a spare key? If so try using them. If the problem goes away your first ignition key (resister) is going bad.

You might also go to the dealer's parts counter and ask them to test both keys, there shouldn't be any charge for this quick test.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

If the dealer's key reader reads the key without a problem, you may have a problem with the wires in the ignition lock cylinder.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would definitely check out the condition of the wires within the ignition lock. If they fail you may have to walk home... It happened to me two years ago in the parking lot of a mall in NJ. I did not have any clue what was going on. WENT to SEARS hardware bought a couple of sets of wrenches, screwdrivers etc. When it appeared I needed special tools (never took apart the steering column before). I WENT to CarParts and bought the tools. When I finally got in the column both rack actuator and wires were gone. I bought a 1/8" diameter steel road from the same SEARS store and bypassed the lock and actuator. Returned the wrenches (virtually mint) and retained the special tools. The "imroved" ignition system works fine for more than two years. ;)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Thanks for the ideas!! Went to the dealer today and asked them what was going on. They said the keys rarely are a problem and its most likely the ignition. She also said that they cannot test keys, but when I pressed them on this, they called parts and they could test! Parts put the keys in a small rectangular box "tester", the keys registered an 11 and said the keys are ok. If bad, then the tester would not work. (?)

If its the ignition, any idea as to the cost to repair? I don't feel comfortable going to this dealer not having some thoughts on the amount.

If its the ignition, any idea as to the cost to repair? I don't feel comfortable going to this dealer not having some thoughts on the amount.

ignition switch is rarely the problem. in your case it sounds rather wires in the lock are moving south. how fas? time will tel.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Sounds like a nusance code. I have never had that one but many others. Some of the other posts have reported simalar problems with no after effect. The suggestion to me from others was to pause between key positions when starting the car to let the computer catch up to all the diagnostics on flash up. Seems to have worked for me. I am only talking about a few nano seconds. Just turn the key a wee bit slower. Maybe try the reboot. Disconect the battery and reconnect. Haven't done this myself yet but might do soon.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Archived