CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Blog Post: Thinking Cadillac STS-V Tires

I have been shopping a 2008 Cadillac STS-V.  This model has the V-Series performance and luxury features I want, and is coming into range of my budget.  I would love to have a 2009 Cadillac CTS-V, but they will be more than I care to spend for a while. Tires.  I am what could be [...]

View the full Blog Post

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I am what could be described kindly as a serial tire abuser. So today I am bracing for how much Tires for the STS-V will be.

Careful. Talk like that could get you grounded. :D :D :D

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

QUOTE FROM BLOG..

Tires. If you want to play, you have to pay I suppose. But, ouch.

END QUOTE...

You know me... I would "NEVER EVER" abuse my tires.. :D ... :D

But I recently put a new "V" speed rated set on the DTS.

You are right... they sure ain't cheap.

Posted Image

If the tires only go a year, I wouldn't go for run-flat tires for an extra $1K. There are a lot of ways to deal with the lack of a spare, including:

• Keep AAA Plus and don't drive in really remote areas where you don't have cell phone service, or the wait for AAA can be so long as to be dangerous.
  • Get an extra compact spare and put it in the trunk for trips.
  • Get a spare tire and have your garage keep it, and put them on speed-dial of your wife's cell phone. Keep a cell phone charger that works from the cigar lighter in the glove compartment.
  • Keep a can or two of that tire-repair stuff in the trunk.

If you do get run-flat tires, know that they give up tire life, unsprung weight, and possibly performance relative to otherwise identical tires.

Liberated from the run-flat requirement, your selection will now include tires that perform better and last longer, as well as cost less. Thus, for me, it's not much of a decision.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If the tires only go a year, I wouldn't go for run-flat tires for an extra $1K. There are a lot of ways to deal with the lack of a spare, including:

• Keep AAA Plus and don't drive in really remote areas where you don't have cell phone service, or the wait for AAA can be so long as to be dangerous.
  • Get an extra compact spare and put it in the trunk for trips.
  • Get a spare tire and have your garage keep it, and put them on speed-dial of your wife's cell phone. Keep a cell phone charger that works from the cigar lighter in the glove compartment.
  • Keep a can or two of that tire-repair stuff in the trunk.

If you do get run-flat tires, know that they give up tire life, unsprung weight, and possibly performance relative to otherwise identical tires.

Liberated from the run-flat requirement, your selection will now include tires that perform better and last longer, as well as cost less.

Thus, for me, it's not much of a decision.

That is the way I would do it also...:)

Posted Image

I was understanding the part about you can't have a small spare when the wheels/tires on the front and back are different sizes -- until I realized that spares these days are never the same size as the actual wheels/tires anyway. I think every touring car needs a full size spare, but I can't see carrying 2 full size spares, one for front, one for back. I agree throwing in a temporary spare with a jack set and spare makes sense.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived