CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

darn cup holder

hiljak

My friggin cup holder on my 99 STS WILL NOT friggin open. When you push it in, it sounds normal, it just doesn't release, I've even tried gentry prying it open, NADA.. Is there a way to access the latch without breaking the thing open? ARGHHHHHHH

James

1999 STS 65k

1995 STS 127k

Yeah, you can easily remove the entire arm rest, flip it over and dismantle it to see what makes it ticks..(or not..). The entire unit will slide out after you remove four screws.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

You have to remove the wooden console cover to get the cup holder out as well as screws at the front of the arm rest console latch and on the holder.

My son spilled capachino in mine and it gummed up the works. Soap & hot water got it working again. Once you get it out you'll be able to see why it wont open.

Can't help with the not opening problem.

But the not closing problem "could be" some foreign object in there that can be fished out with a magnet or stiff wire. Been there, done that.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Was having a lot of dificulty with mine not opening all the way, and finally tackled it this last weekend. Took it apart and found that the top cover of the armrest was totally cracked apart underneath that front end. Years of elbows leaning on it will do this, and the shards of plastic were sticking down and getting in the way of the cup-holder mechanism. :o

I made a thin sheetmetal liner that covered this area and screwed and glued it into place with some stubby sheetmetal screws. ;) This supports the armrest now, (much firmer) and the cupholder functions like new! :D

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

No matter working or not (mine works, but one side doesn't "clamp" closed), that's gotta be the sh*ttiest location for a cup holder I've ever seen... I'm thinking of gutting my armrest to get rid of the bastard and putting something useful in there... maybe a humidor for cigars? Or a compartment for champagne glasses? I'm tinkering right now with a in-car wine chiller that mounts behind the flip-down rear seat center armrest...

Archived