CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I think my car is trying to tell me something

rockfangd

I think my cadillac is trying to tell me something,

Once in a great while it has a quirk. I will explain it the best I can.

When I put the gearshift into park all of the indicators around the gear indicators on the cluster flash quick and the doors do not unlock, so I have to unlock the doors manually, and the other issue is that the trunk release someetimes will not work at all (keyless or button) It almost seems like if I hit the power unlock buttonon either the remote or door first it always works. and once when I hit the trunk button on the remote, it popped twice fast and then didnt work for another 6 hours.

When I bought the car a year ago the trunk release actuator was broken (which was weird because it waas almost as if the actuator popped too hard and broke the pivot off)

So I replaced the actuator and other than the current problem it works fine.

No codes on cluster

no alarm or starter, This car is completely OEM.

not quite sure if anyone has any ideas on this.

1996 Cadillac Deville

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Have you run the OBD codes? If not, run them, write them down, and post them here. Instructions are at the link in my signature block. They will be of the form

PZM P0728 HISTORY

The first three letters are an acronym for which module detected a problem, the letter with four digits is the diagnostic test code (DTC), and the code will be flagged as HISTORY or CURRENT, depending on whether is was detected since the ignition key was turned on. Once you turn the ignition key off, all the codes go to HISTORY, so it's best to read the codes before you shut off the engine after you have had a problem. That way, the codes you are most interested in will have the label CURRENT.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I did that already, There is no codes current or history. God bless on that lol

GM FAN FOREVER

In this thread, you stated you replaced the transmission.

http://caddyinfo.ipb...=1entry166102

Did you replace the crossover seals and move the the PRN2L module or did you move that module when you replaced the tranny?

It sounds to me like that module might be out of adjustment,

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I think that one good possibility is a loose connector on the PRNDL switch, or that it's out of adjustment. It's in the shifter tunnel. I believe that it's accessible from under the car but there are others here who have hands-on experience with that switch.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I actually confuse the PRD2L module with the PNP switch

That module is actually located down below the EGR valve back toward the firewall, Ill see if I can find a photo

Here is info

Park/Neutral Position (PNP) Switch Replacement

PNP.gif

Installation Procedure

Tools Required J 41545 Park/Nuetral Switch Aligner

1. Verify that the transmission still is in the N (Neutral) position. If the position has moved, rotate the shaft clockwise from P (Park) through R (Reverse) into N (Neutral). Be careful not to damage the shaft flats, corners, or threads.
    • New replacement park/neutral position switches already are pinned in the N (Neutral) position.
    • When installing a park/neutral position switch with a sheared pin, insert the alignment tool J 41545 into the 2 slots on the switch in the area of the transmission shaft.
    • Rotate the tool until the rear leg on the tool falls into the slot on the switch near the hose.
    • Verify that the tool is seated properly in all 3 slots.
    • Remove the tool.
    • Check for a cracked carrier if either of the following conditions exist:
      • The pin is sheared
      • You are installing the original switch

Important

After the park/neutral switch installation, verify that the engine starts only in P (Park) or N (Neutral). If the engine starts in any other position, readjust the park/neutral position switch.

Important

Check the shifter for normal freedom of movement. Refer to Engine Controls for diagnosis if DTC(s) are present

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

That module is actually located down below the EGR valve back toward the firewall, Ill see if I can find a photo

YEP. Car is trying to tell you that the PRDNL switch is not positioned correctly. All your problems are related. if the car thinks it is NOT in Park, it will not let you open the trunk either by the remote , or the electric "Trunk Open" (Another of the cars many safety features). Seems the root is indeed that switch. I have a '96, and I love it. Take care of this issue before it discourages you, or leads to more serious issues.

YEP. Car is trying to tell you that the PRDNL switch is not positioned correctly. All your problems are related. if the car thinks it is NOT in Park, it will not let you open the trunk either by the remote , or the electric "Trunk Open" (Another of the cars many safety features). Seems the root is indeed that switch. I have a '96, and I love it. Take care of this issue before it discourages you, or leads to more serious issues.

The tansmission job was on my best friends, not mine.We both have 96.

I would have never thought of the neutral safety switch (never) I have done many switches so this should be cake, and yes it is right below the EGR valve. loosen 2 bolts and adjust.

The only thig is is that the trunk issue is more commonly occuring than the park issue. I will definately try it though.

And I absolutely love my 96, just wish it had the same interior as the 97.

Thanks for th replies all

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived