CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hi

I have a 96 Deville , had to replace both head gaskets (northstar), put engine back together can't get AC

to work ,wife is on my rear she wants her AC local dealership wants 125.00/hr to reset AC snapon dealer says

there is a way to reset AC using climate controls.

Does anybody out there know how this is done

thanks carl w

lrac55@yahoo.com

Carl -- check the link in my signature block. It mainly tells you how to read the OBD II codes, but you keep reading and it tells you how to reset them. You need the reset the PCM and ACM codes.

Whoever did the engine work should have done this as part of the job. It only takes a few minutes and, as you say, you can do it from the HVAC controls; some people do it while they are driving. The fact that he didn't tells me that he didn't know that. I suggest that you reset *all* the codes, drive the car for a couple of days, then run all the codes, write them down, and post them here. That way we will find out whatever else he didn't know and fix it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Did they open the A/C system when they dropped the engine? If so, did they recharge it when they reinstalled it? Clearing the codes or "resetting the A/C" as you call it will enable the compressor until low refrigerant is sensed again and then it will be disabled and the code will be reset (if that is the problem).

Hi it's me again

I did all the work myself,i actually wound up studding the block like on a race engine.

yes,i had the ac system open. the only codes i had were the o2 sensors and the low refridgrent.

and idle control circuit.

I figure the o2 and idle codes can be cleared after i replace the sensors.

I charged the ac with 134a still get compressor off/low refridgrent.{can't spell either}

what am i doing wrong.

thanks carlw

lrac55@yahoo.com

You may have to reset the low refrigerant code a time or two until you get a pound or so into the car. Be careful; the newer systems don't use much.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

clear the low pressure sensor code

It is possible that the sensor is bad, if that is the case you can jump that connector, but the sensor will have to be replacedw

Can you start a thread on your stud job, giving details as to how you did the job, pull the engine, drop the carriage, etc

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You need to have the system evacuated with a vacuum pump and then charge 2.0 lbs of refrigerant into the system that is in a vacuum state. You can't just charge it up if it has been empty while you were repairing the engine or there will be air and moisture in the system - air will reduce cooling performance and moisture will corrode the system internally.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived