CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The Bad Caddy, 1993-2004... RIP

The_Raven

Howyadoin,

Well, it looks like my black beauty has taken her last ride, courtesy of a hit-and-run scumbag. I was hoping that the damage wouldn't exceed her replacement value, but alas, the scumbags of the insurance industry are only slightly less reprehensible than those who wounded my car. These bastards are pulling the plug. Meanwhile, I've been subjected to the indignity of driving a frickin' Neon while the insurance company casts lots over my garments, as it were.

I'll find out tomorrow what pittance the money-grubbers deem my pride and joy to be worth, and then it's time to start hunting for another Caddy, maybe an ETC this time or perhaps a early-90's Fleetwood with the LT1. Whatever it is, I'll love it and enjoy it, but it won't be the same.

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

Sorry to hear. Now is a good time to collect some newspaper ads for similar models, www.nada.com, and www.kbb.com estimates of the car's value so that you will know if the insurance is making a fair offer, or be prepared to argue the value of the car.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Bruce Nunnally Posted on Feb 4 2004, 07:39 PM
undefinedNow is a good time to collect some newspaper ads for similar models, www.nada.com, and www.kbb.com estimates of the car's value so that you will know if the insurance is making a fair offer, or be prepared to argue the value of the car.

I'll second that. Additionally go to some car dealers as well. Odds are the insurance company will give you a low bid.

In 2002 my wife was rear ended and our Dodge Caravan was totaled. It was some leg work on our part but it paid off.

Good Luck!

Jim White

Howyadoin,

Thanks guys, I've done just that (KBB/NADA valuation printouts, AutoTrader search with hi/lo/average values, sorted by mileage). Everything I'm seeing would put me in the 4,500 to 4,800 range for retail cost for me to replace within the parameters I have for mileage and so forth.

Is there an arbitration process if the insurance co. really tries to lowball me and won't budge? That would probably depend on the state, huh? Given that the two tallest buildings in New England are owned by, well, insurance companies, I suppose I shouldn't be too optimistic, eh? :(

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

I ran an insurance agency for 8 years and I'll tell you something....

Come up with every single bill you have for that car and present it to the insurance company.

When they figure out what the car is "worth", they MUST take into consideration the money you have spent on the car maintaining it and repairing it.

If you have no bills, they will give you bottom dollar, period. If you have all your bills including maintenace, you stand a better chance of getting what the car is worth, plus.

Don't sit back on this one, or believe me, the insurance company will sit on you.

Also, if you think the car is worth repairing SAFELY, consider buying the car back from the insurance company as a salvage title and repairing it yourself. I don't know the particulars of your case but it might be worth it.

Some things to think about.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

My experience with all the appraisal sites is that, whether I was buying or selling, the appraisals were W A Y over what the cars were actually selling for in this area. Of course, that might be a good thing when you're negotiating with the insurance company (LOL) but don't be surprised if they don't buy it.

Just for fun, I just ran my 2000 STS w/67k miles on KBB. Their price was $18,125

for a private retail purchase price and it is in perfect condition. In truth, I would be lucky to get 15 or 16 k, as sad as I am to say it.

In West Virginia if you have State Farm and they total your car and you want to buy it back, you have to go to the regional auction center and bid on it. If you do decide you want to keep the totaled vehicle, you get no money. Stinks doesn't it.

Howyadoin,

Well, it's a done deal... I got a bit over $4600 for the car. That's about the range I was figuring. They're hauling it away Monday morning. Anyone need any bric-a-brac (lighters, ashtrays, etc)? I don't think the insurance co would take too kindly to pulling the engine, but if anyone needs something small, let me know.

I'm going to look at a '96 SLS tomorrow, black on black (of course), 122K, nice condition except for a bad A/C compressor and worn tires. They're asking $3900, which seems like a good deal, not having seen the car yet. I'd like to get something newer, but I just paid off my wife's Isuzu Rodeo, and really don't want to get wrapped up in another payment, ya know?

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

is the car repairable? if it is, then would the insurance company be willing to let you keep the car?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

is the car repairable?  if it is, then would the insurance company be willing to let you keep the car?

Howyadoin,

If they paid off the car, they take possession of it, no? I'd have to buy it back, wouldn't I? I've never been through this before, I've never had a car totaled on me before, so I'll defer to your insurance experience. How would that work?

Either way, I think I'm getting the '96 SLS, and I'd have nowhere to put the '93. Parking on my street is like a freaking turf war.

I'm gonna miss her. We went 70K together, and she never let me down once. Indy, the Cabot Trail, the Kancamagus Highway, Sox/Yankees in NYC... Always knew I'd make it home safely and comfortably, even when she ate a raccoon at 65 mph! :)

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

Sometimes, what insurance companies do to avoid having to junk a car is that they will give you the value of the car minus a few dollars (usually $100) and let you keep it so long as you change the title to salvage. Apparently, this route seems to save them money.

Call them and ask them if there's an option to keep the car and see what they say.

You say you got over $4600 for an 11 year old STS with 155k miles? Seems to me the money-grubbing insurance company did pretty well by you.

You say you got over $4600 for an 11 year old STS with 155k miles? Seems to me the money-grubbing insurance company did pretty well by you.

Howyadoin,

Yeah, I really can't complain. I was expecting them to start with a lowball offer around 2K, then I'd have to get ugly. They started at 4K, which was a pleasant surprise. So I quoted them chapter and verse from AutoTrader.com on cars with more mileage than mine that were listed in the 4800 dollar range, and the average selling price of $6300. Then I gave 'em the KBB/NADA/Black Book shuffle. That got another 400, plus they included the 5% MA sales tax in the settlement. I was looking at doing a fair amount of work on the car this spring... tires, struts, CHMSL, alternator, so if all I have to do to the '96 I'm looking at tomorrow is an A/C compressor and tires, I'll be ahead of the game a bit perhaps. Nice when that happens. But it still sucks to lose a car I was looking forward to taking to 200K.

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

Oh well, it gives you a reason to upgrade. Have tried looking at the 98+ sevilles, or maybe a CTS? The used car market has been really cheap the last few years, (for American cars) with all the discounts they've been giving on the new cars.

Howyadoin,

I prefer the styling of the pre-98 Seville, and would rather not have to finance anything. I bought my '93 STS outright, and I like the flexibility of not having a monthly payment, and not having a lienholder on my vehicle. I'll be buying my '96 SLS outright as well. Maybe in a year or two I'll go CTS shopping, I like the new 3.6L motor they introduced this year. That will have to get financed, unless my skill at knocking over convenience stores parlays itself into bank jobs... :)

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

If you do decide to go the way of bank robberies, come to New Jersey and knock over Commerce Banks. They don't even use barricades at the teller window. Easiest bank in the world to rob. In fact, New York City police commissioner Kelly HATES them just for that reason. Just make sure you wear a mask. They have some of the best surveillance equipment out there and they will get a real clear picture of your face.

:lol:;)

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!

When my wife got rearended in Oct./03 in my 93sedan Deville , the insurance co. deemed it totalled. I don't know how it works in your state, but in S.C. they paid me $6000 for the car and sold it back to me for $625.00. The repair estimates that I gave them were for $4700 +. They told me that when the repair cost is equal to 80% of the car's actual value then they deem it totaled. I got it back with a clear title and not a salvage title. We pulled out the damage with a homeade jig chained to a sturdy pine tree.(only after disabling the SRS system of course). Installed a used rear bumber and tail lights ,($200) A used trunk lid ($75)(the correct color by the glory of God!)I originally paid $5500 for the car with 88000 miles on it.The car now has 97000 miles and I drive it every day. Lucky for me that it had no chassis damage.I used the rest of the money to purchase my wife's present car,a 97 Deville, 77000 miles, Dark Adriadic blue, dark blue leather, all the bells and whistles.$7995.00. Glory be to God!!!

Archived