CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Top Tier Gasoline

I was reading again about the concept of "Top Tier" gas, or a standard for gasoline that ensured it had a specific level of additives. The brand here in my area on the list at the website is Chevron, so I switched the CTS over to Chevron for the last 2 tanks. With a discount gas station nearby, the Chevron is higher per gallon than the competition for the same octane. I don't see a way to objectively measure the result, other than driving impression. My experience so far is good enough that I plan to continue to purchase only "Top Tier" gas given a choice.

Top Tier Detergent Gasoline

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Six of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.

These automakers have raised the bar. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That's something both drivers and automakers want to avoid.

Read More: http://www.toptiergas.com/

I think an alternative would be to run a bottle of Techron through the car say after each oil change or similar, given that oil changes are often at 5K or 6K miles if you are using the oil life monitor.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

About Top Tier gasoline.... I have also done some reading about it.

I often use Top Tier gas in my DTS, given a choice.

I am not a fanatic about it... but I use it when I can.

I have not kept records on the percentage of Top Tier used vs other gasoline... but a good estimate would be 70 percent Top Tier.

Sometimes, especially on my road trips... you buy gas from whatever station is handy. :D

I have no way to objectively measure it's performance against "NON" Top Tier.

The DTS has almost 80,000 miles, with no fuel related issues at all.

I have a 2006 Chevy van that I use in my everyday work.

It has about 83,000 on it with never a fuel related problem.

The van I had before this one had almost 250,000 on it with no fuel related issues.

I know it is not scientific.... but thats good enough for me to continue to use it. :D

Posted Image

I don't think there is a station within 50 miles of me that has "Top Tier" fuel. If there is, I don't know about it.... I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, though my car has never had any fuel related problems running on regular Premium fuel either.

big4870885.jpg

I have always considered Top Tier good marketing. I buy my gas at whoever has the best price. Road Ranger always has the best price and as it turns out they are Top Tier. Additionally, you can get a $0.05/gallon discount card from them for free. All you have to do is pay cash.

I have worked in the oil industry for about 35 years, and I can tell you that Top Tier gasoline is a marketing gimmick. The determining factors in additive concentration is NOT an arbitrary number, it is a Federal LAW, and you can get in as much trouble exceeding the concentration as you can by reducing it. The USEPA determines the appropriate concentration based on performance tests of each additive and issues an approval letter to the distributing facility. The approval letter states the minimum and the MAXIMUM additive concentration for each brand. The distributing facility then is bound by the letter and must provide monthly reconcilliation of all gasoline additives injected into every gallon of gasoline loaded at the rack.

Don't get me wrong. Some brands of gasoline DO inject the minimum amount of additive recommended by the EPA. However, this amount has been determined to be adequate for keeping intake valves clean. Using more additive will not make your valves any cleaner. I also must repeat that it is always best to buy name brand product from a company that has a good reputation for quality. I personally hesitate to buy gasoline from the "El Cheapo" store in Georgia, and will instead head the DTS into the Shell station. Nothing wrong with that.

Other brands known for high quality are BP, Shell, Exxon, Union 76, and my personal favorite, Speedway.

(and I never heard of "Road Ranger" gas. So who put that on the list and why?)

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Don't get me wrong. Some brands of gasoline DO inject the minimum amount of additive recommended by the EPA. However, this amount has been determined to be adequate for keeping intake valves clean. Using more additive will not make your valves any cleaner.

So true.

I personally hesitate to buy gasoline from the "El Cheapo" store in Georgia....

No such stores exist where I live in GA.

....and will instead head the DTS into the Shell station. Nothing wrong with that.

Other brands known for high quality are BP, Shell, Exxon, Union 76, and my personal favorite, Speedway.

My policy is to buy fuel at a local high-volume outlet. When I see a tanker unloading fuel at a local store 3 times a week, that meets my test for a high-volume outlet.

There are many small regional companies that are trying to expand their presence in a realistic/manageable way. QuickTrip (QT) is one of my favorites.

When on the Interstate and 500+ miles from home turf, I stick with the major brands and try to make note of exits where there is a fuel stop with at least 10 pump positions.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Road Ranger advertises as being "Top Tier". They are in Ill, Wisc. Iowa, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and Missouri.

http://www.rangerstores.com/

http://roadrangerusa.com/storelocator/index.htm

I have worked in the oil industry for about 35 years, and I can tell you that Top Tier gasoline is a marketing gimmick.

I knew it, Thanks for the confirmation.

the "El Cheapo" store in Georgia....

The El Cheapo stores (yes, that's the real name on the sign) are down on 95 in GA. I think close to the FL border, but seems to me the first one is around Savannah or Brunswick.

Road Ranger advertises as being "Top Tier". They are in Ill, Wisc. Iowa, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and Missouri.

I see from the link that they are partnered with Pilot, which used to be a joint venture with Marathon. The partnership has been dissolved, so they are able to purchase product from any refiner that is willing to offer them guaranteed supply (and price). I have no idea whose product they are purchasing now, but the fact is they don't operate their own refinery, nor additize their own gasoline. I'd be willing to bet (from the geographic area described) that some product comes from Marathon and some from other major brands such as Sunoco or BP. I don't think Marathon markets much in Iowa or Missouri.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived