CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Reset your thinking: Tickets issued for a few MPH over the limit now

The recession may be claiming a new victim: the 5-10-mph "cushion" police and state troopers across the USA have routinely given motorists exceeding the speed limit.

As cities and states scramble to fill budget gaps with revenue from traffic citations, "not only are the (speeding) tolerances much lower, but the frequency of a warning instead of a ticket is way down," says James Baxter, president of the National Motorists Association, a Wisconsin-based drivers' rights group that helps its members fight speeding tickets.

"Most people, if they're stopped now, are getting a ticket even if it's only a minor violation of a few miles per hour," Baxter says. He cites anecdotal evidence of drivers being pulled over at slower speeds.

Read More: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-03-30-speeding-cushion_N.htm

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Hmmm, and at what speed are they suppose to give up pursuit? just in case I'm going more than a little fast. LOL

That thought has also fleetingly crossed my mind a time or two. :D :D :D

I believe it varies greatly from place to place so there is no way to really tell.

Leaving the massive safety considerations out of the equation for a moment...

On a clear highway ... with no traffic... My car can outrun probably 80 to 90 percent of the police cars on the road today...and so could a good number of other Cadillacs do the same thing. :D

Some of the STS's have no speed limiter and I think that some of the other ones are limited to 150 or so.

But it still can't outrun the Radio. :D

Posted Image

The thing is that abuse and theft like this by the authorities is massively corrosive on society and citizens' support of law enforcement. Our self-absorbed ruling class will use any means necessary to extort cash from the population. Remember; our only option is the ballot box. Vote out politicians responsible for sanctioning this robbery and demand the firing of the those officilas responsible for carrying out this thievery. All politics is local...

Hmmm, and at what speed are they suppose to give up pursuit? just in case I'm going more than a little fast. LOL

I believe it varies greatly from place to place so there is no way to really tell.

On a clear highway ... with no traffic... My car can outrun probably 80 to 90 percent of the police cars on the road today...and so could a good number of other Cadillacs do the same thing. :D

Some of the STS's have no speed limiter and I think that some of the other ones are limited to 150 or so.

You don't need to outrun the radio! Just the cop until the next off ramp!

There are those times when you are in the fast lane on the freeway with the car in front of you doing barely over the limit oblivious to the line of cars behind him piling up. Then you get a few car legnths in the lane to the right, so you tromp on the pedal and pass him in the hopes he might realize he should move over. When you do pull in front of him and look down at your speedo and realize that you are close to 100 mph, and think "Great there is probably a cop sitting somewhere that saw that and I'm going to get a highly expensive ticket for some other idiot not realizing the left lane is for fast moving traffic" Then is the time you think is a run for it going to get me in anymore trouble than I'm already in?

You don't need to outrun the radio! Just the cop until the next off ramp!

Been there...Done that. :D :D

Long time ago....

Posted Image

There are those times when you are in the fast lane on the freeway with the car in front of you doing barely over the limit oblivious to the line of cars behind him piling up. Then you get a few car legnths in the lane to the right, so you tromp on the pedal and pass him in the hopes he might realize he should move over. When you do pull in front of him and look down at your speedo and realize that you are close to 100 mph, and think "Great there is probably a cop sitting somewhere that saw that and I'm going to get a highly expensive ticket for some other idiot not realizing the left lane is for fast moving traffic" Then is the time you think is a run for it going to get me in anymore trouble than I'm already in?

Yep...if you "STAND ON IT" at highway speed...it just takes a few seconds and you are already over 100.

At any speed below 75, mine will drop back to 2nd ... it shifts back up to 3rd at 90.

:D

Posted Image

South Florida - everybody is doing 10+ over and 50% don't have a license and it'll be me who's 100% legit who gets the ticket.

That's one thing I miss about a S. Cali stretch of Interstate 10 from Palm Springs to Redlands. If you drive speed limit the patrol will tell you to speed up! Twice I got passed by an officer and I was doing 90! ahhhhh!!! Memories! Of Course I also attended my first couple mandatory driving schools... Never tried out running though, California Highway Patrol frowns on that... and I don't think my powder blue Ford Tempo was up to it!

The thing is that abuse and theft like this by the authorities is massively corrosive on society and citizens' support of law enforcement. Our self-absorbed ruling class will use any means necessary to extort cash from the population. Remember; our only option is the ballot box. Vote out politicians responsible for sanctioning this robbery and demand the firing of the those officilas responsible for carrying out this thievery. All politics is local...

If you don't make a stand it will end up like over here. Sometimes there isn't one single police officer on the entire island where I live (population of 30000). But when the tourists arrive or whenever the sun is shining suddenly the police invades this island in order to rob civilians of their hard earned money.

I wouldn't mind if they looked at the way people drive but they don't give a darn unless you drive too fast.

If you for instance drive 18,6 mph over the speed limit or faster, you'll have to pay 500.00$ (checked the USD/SEK values today) AND you loose your driving license for 1-3 months.

Up to 6,2 mph too fast costs 208,33$.

If you don't make a stand it will end up like over here. Sometimes there isn't one single police officer on the entire island where I live (population of 30000). But when the tourists arrive or whenever the sun is shining suddenly the police invades this island in order to rob civilians of their hard earned money.

I wouldn't mind if they looked at the way people drive but they don't give a darn unless you drive too fast.

If you for instance drive 18,6 mph over the speed limit or faster, you'll have to pay 500.00$ (checked the USD/SEK values today) AND you loose your driving license for 1-3 months.

Jan,

A lot of the traffic fines are getting that way over here also. (really expensive)

I got a ticket a while back for 71 mph in a 60 mph zone.

The fine was $375.00. (USD)

I thought that was an excessive amount... but I had to pay it.

Posted Image

It is, it's just legal robbery and we as citizens really need to fight back. I'm originally from Massachusetts and I used to watch the cops up there pull s**t you wouldn't believe. And why would they get away with it - they had and still have an entrenched democRat machine to back them up and cover for them. My father and uncles fought the nazis in WWII. And too many of them escaped to the USA...

Jan,

A lot of the traffic fines are getting that way over here also. (really expensive)

I got a ticket a while back for 71 mph in a 60 mph zone.

The fine was $375.00. (USD)

I thought that was an excessive amount... but I had to pay it.

Archived