CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oil Life..

ByStorm

Gentlemen.... I am planning a 6 hour trip in early August to Ohio (4 day stay), I have about 13 or so percent of my current oil life left. Do I change the oil now or wait till I am told to by the car and in which case I will do it when I get back.

I don't want to be out of town when the oil expires, that is my main concern, will I be ok until I get back? I currently have my '01 STS parked in the garage and am driveing my '88 Sedan Deville.

When ever I go out of town I have my mechanic go over the car that I am taking so....Men what should I do?

This would be my first time driving the STS out of state so I'm looking forward to the experience

Thanks ByStorm

:unsure:

At 13% you're very close to getting a message on the DIC, I believe. Change the oil now before you leave on your trip and enjoy.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

If you worry alot change it now, other wise a 6hr drive and a 4 day stay will most likely not drop you 13%, and even if it did the oil doesn't just turn into sand when it hits 0%. It will be fine till you get back.

Jeff

There is enough reserve oil life when the indicator reaches 0%. Doesn't the "Change Engine Oil Soon" message appear on the DIC at each ignition cycle when the oil life reaches 10%? If the message bothers you, change the oil before you go. Otherwise, tap the "Information" button when the message appears and change the oil when you get back.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

There is enough reserve oil life when the indicator reaches 0%. Doesn't the "Change Engine Oil Soon" message appear on the DIC at each ignition cycle when the oil life reaches 10%? If the message bothers you, change the oil before you go. Otherwise, tap the "Information" button when the message appears and change the oil when you get back.

I agree with KHE. You'll get 0% on your way back to home. But id does not mean something catastrific will happen to the engine.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

a note on a recent experience here,

we just drove 1000k from Seattle to Santa Cruz / San Luis Obispo, the oil life was at 65%ish and normal dip level in Seattle. On our return home we notice sputtering when in idle, of course, first thing was to check the oil. It was close to dry. We were at about 40% oil life too. We put 10-40 in amn hopped back on the road home without problem & smooth ride. Oil was still on normal dip level when we got home. (Of course the OLF was done the week after we got home)

A couple of weeks ago, I drove to the Oregon coast (about 7 hours away), when I got back the oil % dropped only about 8%. It was mostly freeway driving, in 85-90 degree temperatures. If you are going to be concerned, change the oil now, then you can relax and have peace of mind - surely that's worth more than the cost of an oil change.

Thanks men... when I take my STS in for what I call a "trip check" I will have the oil changed, air filter changed and tires roatated. This will help ensure the smooth driving trip that I am looking forward to. B)

Thanks ByStorm

a note on a recent experience here,

we just drove 1000k from Seattle to Santa Cruz / San Luis Obispo, the oil life was at 65%ish and normal dip level in Seattle. On our return home we notice sputtering when in idle, of course, first thing was to check the oil. It was close to dry. We were at about 40% oil life too. We put 10-40 in amn hopped back on the road home without problem & smooth ride. Oil was still on normal dip level when we got home. (Of course the OLF was done the week after we got home)

By "close to dry" I assume you mean that it was just about off the dip stick. When the oil level drops off the dip stick you still have 5 qts. in the crank case (nothing to be concered about).

>"Thanks men"...

Say Storm....are you forgetting anybody...? ;)

:lol:;)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I can tell you from personal expierience that they have motor oil in Ohio. In fact they have all the brands, including the famed 0W-30 green Castrol, and people willing to install it for you. I bet, if you asked, someone on this board would be able to tell you where to go to get your oil changed. But if it worries you that much, or you don't have 20 minutes to spare during your visit, change it now.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I will be in Ohio on "holiday" with the wifey I will not be sipp'n' champange and eating lobster then turn around and try to track down someone to change my oil I can promise you that (ya feel me).

Besides I only have one shop that works on my vehicles.

A thousand pardons if I left any females out in my thanks for the help.

thanks Larry G,

didn't know that meant I was around 5 qts I'm glad you informed me. :D

I regularly add 1 or 2 qts between changes or when the message tells me oil is low (but dip level is showing just a little low). Thought when the dip was comming up with trace amounts, it may had been around 3 or 4 qts. That's dry enough for me!!

Archived