CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Front brakes 2005 Deville

KHE

I have not been able to get the service manual DVD for my '05 Deville to work and now need to replace the front brakes on my '05 Deville. If someone with a 2000-2005 Deville shop manual would post the fastener torque values, I'd appreciate it. If there is anything special that needs to be done in the process, knowing that would be helpful too! Thanks!

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

2005BrakeSpecs.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks Jim & Mike! I'm assuming the J55 is the heavy-duty brake option. I bought a set of AC Delco brake pads on ebay of all places - $30.00 delivered to my door vs. $73.00 from gmotors.com.

I bought one of the DVD service manuals that covers all GM cars/trucks from 1998-2005 but have not been able to get it to work. It takes 45 minutes to install and then acts like the data has not been installed... It appears to be an issue with java - the DVD requires an old version. I've spent a total of 5 hours attempting to install it, etc. So far, no luck.

I've also been looking for a printed 2005 service manual but they are rare - I found one on ebay but the seller want's more money for a used set than what a new one costs from Helm...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks Jim & Mike! I'm assuming the J55 is the heavy-duty brake option. I bought a set of AC Delco brake pads on ebay of all places - $30.00 delivered to my door vs. $73.00 from gmotors.com.

I bought one of the DVD service manuals that covers all GM cars/trucks from 1998-2005 but have not been able to get it to work. It takes 45 minutes to install and then acts like the data has not been installed... It appears to be an issue with java - the DVD requires an old version. I've spent a total of 5 hours attempting to install it, etc. So far, no luck.

I've also been looking for a printed 2005 service manual but they are rare - I found one on ebay but the seller want's more money for a used set than what a new one costs from Helm...

Which DVD S/W Manual and Seller did you get?

It would be useful to fnd out for other users to avoid that one.

I'm looking also at these DVD based manuals on Ebay but no useful feedback as to which ones are "Good"

and have complete information.

I'm looking also at these DVD based manuals on Ebay but no useful feedback as to which ones are "Good"

All I remember was it was someone on the cadillacforums site.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

All I remember was it was someone on the cadillacforums site.

I bought one of those also.

Mine is junk.

I did get it to install, but it is useless to me.

For the latest 2 or 3 years of vehicles...there is almost no info.

For older ones... it isn't too bad...

I won't be buying another one.

Posted Image

Mine is junk.

Jim,

I think the DVDs only cover through 2005 because the shop manuals went online for the '06 model year. Did your DVD work? All I get is an error message that says I must install the stand alone data even though I did install the stand alone data...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Mine is junk.

Jim,

I think the DVDs only cover through 2005 because the shop manuals went online for the '06 model year. Did your DVD work? All I get is an error message that says I must install the stand alone data even though I did install the stand alone data...

Yes I did get it to work... FINALLY. :D

There was a sheet of instructions that came with it.

Had do do it several times before it worked.

I got it last year around Christmas...not 2009...2008.

The Devilles up until 2005 had quite a lot in common with my 2006, so I figured for 15 bucks (or something like that)... if it had any info that I could use, it would be worth it.

I also have a 2006 Chevy Express van. (the full size van)

Was also hoping to maybe get a little info from the DVD about the van.

Info on the vans, basically stops at 2003.

The fullsize vans were completely redone in 2004, so, again, the DVD didn't help me any.

So in summary...I found nothing useful on it, and after looking for different things for a few hours... I threw it in my bottom desk drawer (I think) and haven't looked at it again.

Posted Image

Yes I did get it to work... FINALLY. :D

There was a sheet of instructions that came with it.

Had do do it several times before it worked.

I got it last year around Christmas...not 2009...2008.

The Devilles up until 2005 had quite a lot in common with my 2006, so I figured for 15 bucks (or something like that)... if it had any info that I could use, it would be worth it.

I also have a 2006 Chevy Express van. (the full size van)

Was also hoping to maybe get a little info from the DVD about the van.

Info on the vans, basically stops at 2003.

The fullsize vans were completely redone in 2004, so, again, the DVD didn't help me any.

So in summary...I found nothing useful on it, and after looking for different things for a few hours... I threw it in my bottom desk drawer (I think) and haven't looked at it again.

Sounds like we bought it from the same guy. There was a list of instructions and I followed them but it refuses to work. It takes 45 minutes to install and I have installed it and removed it many times without success...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Brakes are all done. It should have been a 30 minute job Saturday morning but.... Driver's side - no problem. I couldn't get the passenger side caliper to come loose once the bolts were out. I pried the piston away from the rotor and the screwdriver slipped and cut the caliper dust boot...

No one had the dust boot in stock - all the parts stores wanted to sell me a remanufactured caliper. I called the Cadillac dealer - GM no longer has a service boot assembly - a new caliper must be purchased for $200... That is a pet pieve of mine. The local Carquest auto parts store ordered the dust boot for Monday's delivery.

I picked up the boot this evening = $6.29 plus tax. I used a PVC plumbing fitting machined to the proper dimensions to install the boot since I dodn't have access to the J-35777 tool.

I am glad to be done with that job.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin's rule: Murphy was an optimist.... biggrin.gif

Good one! I'm going to use it.

My boss from the early 80s used to say that.

I like this one also

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst, and Hope for the best but expect the worst.

Prov. You should have a positive attitude, but make sure you are ready for disaster

I saw the movie Armageddon, last night, it kind of fits that statement.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Kevin's rule: Murphy was an optimist.... biggrin.gif

Good one! I'm going to use it.

My boss from the early 80s used to say that.

I like this one also

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst, and Hope for the best but expect the worst.

Prov. You should have a positive attitude, but make sure you are ready for disaster

I saw the movie Armageddon, last night, it kind of fits that statement.

I've lived by those words. I try to be an optimist, and defeat hurts a lot less when you are prepared for it.

big4870885.jpg

Archived