CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bustle-back 1980 Seville with Diesel engine

1980 Cadillac Seville - $4000 (Addison area near tollway)

Date: 2010-02-16, 5:17PM CST

Reply to: sale-qtkps-1604041575@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Above-average condition 4-door Seville D'elegance Cadillac with approximately 41,000. Diesel engine. Although vehicle is collector's item, it runs great. Email with questions or call 972-786-4847.

Read More: http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/1604041575.html

3k03me3pd5Oa5Sa5R0a2gfec1f6ea9fe71c6c.jpg

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Oldsmobile Diesel

Based upon the 350 cubic-inch Olds gas engine, the diesel debuted for the 1978 model year to much fanfare. The promise of the future, it allowed big car comfort with small car fuel economy. Contrary to popular belief, the engine was completely different than its gasoline brethren, but it did look the same since it needed to go down the same assembly line and fit into vehicles that could be either gas or compression-ignition powered. The block was much sturdier and the crankshaft mains and crankpins were 0.500-inch bigger, measuring 3.00 inches instead of 2.5 inches. The crankcase was heavier and the pistons were fitted with full-floating pins. The block was so good that during that era many drag racers used it to make big power and it was known to stay together.

Then what happened to the Olds Diesel to give it such a poor reputation and the impetus for a class-action law suit? The engine suffered from poor familiarity by the consumer and Olds service personnel along with the lack of a water/fuel seperator and drain in the fuel system. This was compounded by a flood of very poor-quality diesel fuel into the market place shortly after the engine's introduction. Any moisture or dirt that would get into the high-pressure Roosa Master injection pump would cause some of the parts to hang up. This could have occurred for only a second, but that was enough time of an incorrect fuel inject cycle that would allow cylinder pressure to peak and overcome head bolt tension or break down the head gasket. The driver may have only sensed a slight shudder but the damage was already done. The injured head gasket would then let coolant seep into the cylinder and since there is little quench volume in a diesel, the uncompressability of a liquid was a theory very quickly reinforced. Something had to give and it often was a piston, connecting rod or crankshaft but it spelled disaster either way. In addition, both the dealer body and the consumer often used the incorrect oil for the engine, creating further service issues.

The Olds Diesel, when cared for properly, ran for hundreds of thousands of miles, but only in the hands of an experienced diesel operator. Other than that, it makes a great gasoline race engine block.

Popular Hotrodding: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0408phr_worst_automobile_engines/index.html

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Very interesting reading! It would be nice if they decided to use a V8-diesel in a Caddy. Personally I can't stand the smell, the smoke and the noice but diesels are very popular over here.

Some other things that falls into the poor familiarity with diesel category: The Olds 350 Diesel was spec'd for straight 30W Diesel oil. It clearly stated this in the owner's manual and warned of engine damage if the correct oil was not used. Back in the late 70's, that type of oil was only available at truck-stops. Consumers couldn't find it at K-Mart so they used 10W-40 which sludged up the rings so bad, the engine lost compression. Another was using WD-40 or either (starting fluid) to start the engine in cold weather - instant engine damage. Of course, it was the engine's fault...

GM solved the injector pump issue and that engine was for the most part bullet-proof by the early 80s but its reputation was so tarnished, no one would buy them.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I had 2 of the diesels.

A 1980 Seville d'Elegance and a 1981 Olds 98.

Never had a minutes trouble with either one of them

Ran RPM DELO or Shell ROTELLA 30W oil.

Put true dual exhaust on them so that they could breathe.

The factory exhaust was a joke...it was so tiny that the engine couldn't breathe right.

After the dual exhaust, the black clouds of smoke almost totally went away.

I drilled a hole in the bottom of the fuel filter and added a petcock so that I could drain the water from the fuel.

My Dad has owned big trucks all of my life, so I knew to have a water drain.

Took it to a "GOOD" diesel mechanic.

Had the pump "TURNED UP"... my understanding of that procedure was it was equivalent to advancing the timing on a gas engine.

That may or may not be correct.

All I know is that it did wonders for the way it ran.

Out on the highway...if you drove it normal...they would get to 35+ MPG.

They would get better than 25 MPG around town.

Ran them a lot of miles, then sold them.

Should have kept the Seville...at least. It was a great car.

That was Darling Wife's car, and was probably her all time favorite car...EVER. :D

Posted Image

I remember those cars had a WATER IN FUEL and a WAIT light on the dash. To start them, the ignition key needed to be turned to the ON position and the WAIT light would illuminate while the glow plugs were heating up. As soon as the WAIT light went out, then it was OK to turn the key to start and start the engine.

I think the problem with the fuel filter is that when it became saturated with water, the WATER IN FUEL light would come on and a lot of drivers would ignore it leading to costly engine troubles.

It never ceases to amaze me how the engine/car is ALWAYS at fault when the actual cause is improper/lack of maintenance.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 years later...

I had 2 of the diesels.

A 1980 Seville d'Elegance and a 1981 Olds 98.

Never had a minutes trouble with either one of them

Ran RPM DELO or Shell ROTELLA 30W oil.

Put true dual exhaust on them so that they could breathe.

The factory exhaust was a joke...it was so tiny that the engine couldn't breathe right.

After the dual exhaust, the black clouds of smoke almost totally went away.

I drilled a hole in the bottom of the fuel filter and added a petcock so that I could drain the water from the fuel.

My Dad has owned big trucks all of my life, so I knew to have a water drain.

Took it to a "GOOD" diesel mechanic.

Had the pump "TURNED UP"... my understanding of that procedure was it was equivalent to advancing the timing on a gas engine.

That may or may not be correct.

All I know is that it did wonders for the way it ran.

Out on the highway...if you drove it normal...they would get to 35+ MPG.

They would get better than 25 MPG around town.

Ran them a lot of miles, then sold them.

Should have kept the Seville...at least. It was a great car.

That was Darling Wife's car, and was probably her all time favorite car...EVER. biggrin.gif

Dear Texas Jim,

Great post and Best Wishes for a Happy New Year!

I also found last November a 1980 Caddy Seville 5.7 ltr V8 diesel. It seems that it's impossible to find rebuilt or remanufatured engine. I even tried Jasper Engines without succes and nothing on the net to help.

from your experience coild you give the contact of the good mechanic you mentioned to turn up the pump and also the place where the custom dual exhaust can me done?

Any hints of a company on the net making remanufactured or relaible rebuilt engines?

I live in Virginia state and would take engine or car anywhere to make it more bulletproof!!

I thank you in advance. You can email me or anybody on the forum at: malickdia06@yahoo.com

Best regards

Dear Texas Jim,

Great post and Best Wishes for a Happy New Year!

I also found last November a 1980 Caddy Seville 5.7 ltr V8 diesel. It seems that it's impossible to find rebuilt or remanufatured engine. I even tried Jasper Engines without succes and nothing on the net to help.

from your experience coild you give the contact of the good mechanic you mentioned to turn up the pump and also the place where the custom dual exhaust can me done?

Any hints of a company on the net making remanufactured or relaible rebuilt engines?

I live in Virginia state and would take engine or car anywhere to make it more bulletproof!!

I thank you in advance. You can email me or anybody on the forum at: malickdia06@yahoo.com

Best regards

I have no idea NOW of where to buy a remanufactured 350 diesel engine.

I owned those cars back in the early 80's ... when they were brand new.

Any good muffler shop can do the exhaust...

Someone that is established and reliable and who "TUNES" diesel pickup trucks would know how to turn up the pump.

Posted Image

Archived