CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The "200" club

MIke D

I am now 37 Miles away from my baby turning 200,000.... (93 STS)

So far All I have had to do is...

1- Radiator

1- A/C compressor rebuild

1- master cylinder

2- alternators

2- trunk pull down switches

3 sets of front rotors

30,000,000 break light bulbs changed out (love those tail lights)

Numerous Break pads, tires, and oil changes (still getting 5000 miles with only 1 QT burned)

What she needs.. Fuel Injectors... a center console blower motor... and a good wash and wax...

Who else out there has crossed over the 200,000 mile mark??? How are they running??

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Mine just turned 199K. It'll turn over in several more weeks. It idles really rough now and I don't think it's going to make it to 300K without some major engine work. It also will not pass the California smog without some major adjustments. I'm planning on decomissioning it soon when I can get the transmission in my Allante to shift pass 2nd gear. Uses a quart of oil every 3K miles.

Things replaced:

1 - Transmission at 130K

1 - Radiator

1 - Astroroof Assembly

1 - Heater control unit

1 - all 4 Rotors

1 - EGR Valve & Solenoid

1 - Alternator at 175K

1 - Windshield

Things that are broken:

Astroroof

Heater Blower motor

Trunk Pull Down

Torque converter lock up

A/C getting low on R-12

Interior and vinyl roof has held up very well for the age. Leather looks better than most that are on Ebay with half the miles.

IPB Image

hmmmm... do you know for how many years you should drive your Caddy to make 30,000,000 miles? :o

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Here's a pic of my odometer taken 3 weeks ago. The hardest part about breaking the "200" mark around here is fighting off the effects of road salt. The people who know of it or live it know what mean. It'll eat a car alive unless you're vigilant. This is the second GM car I've driven past the 200 (other was Pontiac Bonneville SSE....sold with over 216K miles). I'm hoping to hit "250" and then I'll think about the 300. The salt may not allow me that luxury.

-kg

post-3-1089937666.jpg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

hmmmm... do you know for how many years you should drive your Caddy to make 30,000,000 miles? :o

Not 30 million miles... 30 million lightbulbs... But if you want me to answer your question how fast would you drive.... :lol:

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Not 30 million miles... 30 million lightbulbs... But if you want me to answer your question how fast would you drive....

:D well ... one thing is clear - Caddies do not ran that fast and human beings do not live that long :lol: If you look at the results of a poll I had started a few months ago you'll see very few members of 200k Club.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I'm at 195,000 with my '93 STS - Polo green, suroof, Kenwood stereo, Goodyear RSA Plus, lots of Maguier's wax, and I still get compliments. Using Mobil 1 - it still runs smmoth and strong..did the coil packs at the 190,000 mile tureup..

aww man I haven't even hit 80k and I burn a quart every 1000 miles or so.

Guess some are made better than others.. of course I drive with my foot down a lot. I'm sure that has something to do with it. i tend to blow up things like power steering, alernators, etc. a lot quicker than usual because i'm at 6000 rpm so much :> Glad to hear it hits over 200k well taken care of. Guess I will see how she's doing in another 3-4 years i should be nearing 200k

ouch.. No faith in the oldies..... I still have a car that's 35 years old.. it's strange since i'm 29...

But yeah... in about 10 years I'll give you a ring on the parts list... I might have a few break lights left over... he he he.... MD

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

...The hardest part about breaking the "200" mark around here is fighting off the effects of road salt. The people who know of it or live it know what mean. It'll eat a car alive unless you're vigilant. ...

It's true, that's why it hard to compare. Some people drive every day, some people don't. Some people drive in urban 'stop-n-drive' (which is worst for the engine), some people drive in suburban environment. Let’s say, if you making everyday ~50 miles on a highways, you have much better chances vs. somebody like me, driving mostly in the city on a weekends. A lot of parts getting old just because of its age, not miles.

lol, i love the classics as much as the next man. What kinda car do you have that's 35 years old? .. (i'm gonna hold you to those brake lights heheh)

oh yeah, About road salt.. my grandma used her car to run an occasional errand, 1991 Buick, 80k miles.. said her brakes felt funny, took it to the mechanic, man said it was ready to crumble any time now .. eeeek

My '93 SLS had 204K when I sold it a year ago.

http://caddyinfo.netgetgoing.com/cars/logan.htm

Original water pump, alt, and struts.

Things fixed....

battery, tires, hoses, etc of course.

fuel pump.

front lower engine mount.

IPC cluster.

shifter tape.

cracked dash wood.

trunk water leak. Was at the fuel fill inner panel.

service ride control. Installed relay to turn off message

Logan that SLS looked real good too.

Just a side note to those that post their mileage. Might want to indicate whether you're talking miles or Kilometers. I saw another board some whack job was posting big numbers but conveniently failed to mention that it was in kilometers..... 2 eyerolls for that twit.

And how about some actual pics of those odometers. I dunno about the rest of you but i was pretty stinkin excited to snap a blurry photo of mine. I actually took 2 pics and the other one came out much better but had the Service Ride Control on it as well. Just didn't think that would look too sexy.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Here's a pic of my odometer taken 3 weeks ago. The hardest part about breaking the "200" mark around here is fighting off the effects of road salt. The people who know of it or live it know what mean. It'll eat a car alive unless you're vigilant. This is the second GM car I've driven past the 200 (other was Pontiac Bonneville SSE....sold with over 216K miles). I'm hoping to hit "250" and then I'll think about the 300. The salt may not allow me that luxury.

-kg

During the winter months, I run the car twice a week through the car wash and I make sure they do an undercarriage wash to get all the salt off. During the other seasons, I do the wash totally by hand and still once in a while, I crawl under the car with the hose and wet everything down good.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

So the guys a work asked me how many miles the "Big Red Dog" had on it, since I bought it a few years ago (stole for $3,750) when it had 82,00 on it.

I told them about 169,00o and one s.m. asked me if that took into account "vertical miles". This was explained as - when airborne over gravel whoop-de-do roads, potholes and such. It seems my reputation for wringing mechanicals to the limits - precedes me. Question: Do vertical miles really count as 10 x horizontal miles. If so, they said the BRD must be well over 200,000 miles composite ! :D

Anyway, the things fixed list of Logans' intrigued me to note the BRD's faults: (at least since 82,000: not counting tires, oil, filters - up to a hard 169,000 miles).

1. I swapped the tired window motor from driver-front to driver rear (never used there...) :)

2. I temp-removed in-dash cd handler (won't eject if cold). I have almost forgotten it since installing satellite radio. :)

3. (1) Air filter cover clip (what the guy at the shop saz anyway). :rolleyes:

4. Auxillary sun visors. (1) got loose, so I hot-melt glued both in place inside.

5. Her door auto-lock/unlock. I've been training her to not set off alarms for the last couple years and I think I'm gaining ground - so why fix it? ;)

Not a very impressive fix-it list - but lately I have almost felt guilty enough to reward it with changng the plugs or something. <_<

But then again, We recently went to Sacremento, CA area for the weekend and it romped up the Sierra Mountains passes at 80-90 like a young pup. :P

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

During the winter months, I run the car twice a week through the car wash and I make sure they do an undercarriage wash to get all the salt off. During the other seasons, I do the wash totally by hand and still once in a while, I crawl under the car with the hose and wet everything down good.

How do you crawl under the car? Do you jack it up on 4 jackstands and then roll under it? I can barely stick my head under my car without jacking it up :)

During the winter months, I run the car twice a week through the car wash and I make sure they do an undercarriage wash to get all the salt off.  During the other seasons, I do the wash totally by hand and still once in a while, I crawl under the car with the hose and wet everything down good.

How do you crawl under the car? Do you jack it up on 4 jackstands and then roll under it? I can barely stick my head under my car without jacking it up :)

Heh was wondering that myself. If you think about it, you can access the back fairly easily.... but middle to the front.... not unless you have a peanut for a head. Perhaps I just have a really fat head? All kidding aside (booo), I think it's safe to assume that 99.9% of us know what our caddys underbody looks like and where things are located. I know just how much water pressure and at which angle to spray the hose under the car without poking my head underneath. I do, however, find myself in a stance that's a cross between a sumo wrestler and limboer.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

All you really need is to get your arm and the hose under the car, you can see what you're doing from laying next to the car. Naturally, you will have to reposition yourself as you move from front to back and then transfer to the other side of the car and repeat your actions. You don't need to stick your entire head under the car, in fact, you shouldn't. Just use your eyes, aim the hose and squeeze the trigger!!

And by the way, when you are on the left side of the car, it's actually easier to clean the right side undercarriage and when you are on the right side of the car, it's actually easier to clean the left side undercarriage.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

My biggest problem has not been under the car.... I live on the beach so any windy day and I get about a pound of sand in all the door jams, trunk rails, and under the hood... IT's actually kind of funny because the sand collects the most on top of the struts under the hood.... right where the cross brase bolts up... Why there? You think that with all the moving parts and airflow through the engine compartment it would blow away from under the hood...

Caddyshack... To answer your question I have a 69 corvette that my dad and I did a body off restoration about 8 years ago... Something about a broken frame when I launched one day... IDK.... darn torque... (BIG SMILES).... No rust anymore.... Although if someone knows a GOOD body shop in the New England area that works of Fiberglass..... Please let me know... MD

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

My biggest problem has not been under the car.... I live on the beach...

LOL wish I had that problem.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

My 94 STS is still going somehow. The worst thing that has happened was crankshaft failure at 143k miles. I have had the "weeping head gasket" since about 150k. I am now at 230,000. Original motor. I guess I've gotten this far by keeping a trunk full of coolant and and an occasional dose of Bars Leak Gold. Still strong as ever. Still can't resist beating an Impala or Mustang every now and then.

All of this talk about how bad the Northstars doesn't seem to apply to mine.

Kelly

Archived