CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel Pump HUM

Scotty

Ok, at my age I don't think my hearing is getting BETTER! This morning I heard a hum coming from the rear that I don't believe I have heard before. I turn the key off it stops, turn the key on, it runs for about 2 seconds and stops. Start the engine, and it runs continuously. 1) its not the leveling compressor, 2) I have not used any injector cleaner, 3) the car does not seem to have any performance problems.

Is this the beginning of the end for my fuel pump? How hard is this job to do, anyone do this job? Thanks, Mike :(

Mike,

As long as it doesn't change intensity or is really loud, I wouldn't worry about it. It's normal to hear the fuel pump cycle when the ignition is on. You shouldn't need a fuel pump at only 50,000 miles...

How loud is the hum? I can hear my pump run if I listen closely while outside the car but can't hear it while inside with the engine running.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Scotty,

Sounds like the fuel pump. I have driven cars making that sound with no issues. Then again, I have heard after a while they can fail. If it should fail it's "good night Irene" right there.

As a preventive measure to failure that is why I seldom let my fuel level drop below 1/3 of a tank because it would seem to me the fuel in the tank cools the pump. My Bronco has a 144K and it doesn't hardly make a sound.when the key is turned and no sound when it is running. The SHO I traded in made some (84K). Our Mercury Sable (229K) was pretty loud when we got rid of it.

Not sure about the Caddy set up, but if it is like a Ford it is in the fuel tank which requires draining and dropping the tank and depressurizing the fuel system. I don't have a Caddiliac manual so I can't quote any of the details.

Thanks for the info about the Helms web site. I'll get a manual on order pronto!

Hope this helps!

Jim White

As a preventive measure to failure that is why I seldom let my fuel level drop below 1/3 of a tank because it would seem to me the fuel in the tank cools the pump.

Jim,

True - the fuel cools the pump but the pump is submerged in fuel even when the tank is close to empty so there is no detriment to running the tank until the low fuel message displays.

My '86 Park Avenue has 185,000 on the original fuel pump and I have always run the tank close to empty before refueling.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hope this helps!

Jim White

Thanks Jim, it does, but it concerns me even more now hearing you say "Good Night Irene" I have to drive to the BRONX tonight, breakdown there and you can kiss your car goodbye! Better bring the cell phone! LOL.... Thanks, Mike

Kevin,

I opt to keep the fuel in the tank because even with 5 gallons left in it I find it hard to imagine that it would completly submerge the pump. As far as failure goes with the Ford products it seems that at the 60K mark or so is when they start to hum. The only exception to this is my Bronco which to date has no hum what so ever at 144K.

The other reason I keep fuel in the tank especially at this time of the year is to help keep the moisture out.

Jim

The pump cavity has baffles that keep a small quantity of fuel around the pump. There is absolutely no problem with running the tank low (unless you run out of gas... :lol: ).

The fuel tanks are plastic so there is no problem with corrosion and zero moisture will get sucked in as the tank is emptied - the tank is not vented to the atmosphere. During the winter months, the air is very dry - if it held moisture, it would be snowing. When the gas cap is removed, you'll hear a rush of air - that is the system equalizing pressure.

Even if some moist air entered at refueling, the filter on the sending unit is also a water separator so moisture will not get into the fuel lines, injectors, etc.. a can of isopropyl gas line antifreeze in the spring will remove any trace of water - what miniscule amount may be in there.

If it makes you feel better, by all means, keep it full but realize that is completely unnecessary.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin,

Thanks for the info.

However, since you mentioned fueling the gas tank the darndest thing happen the last time I filled up my STS. I was topping off the tank and I heard this moaning noise coming from the fuel tank. Sounded like the car was getting it's back bumper massaged :lol:

Anyway ... thanks again!

Jim White

I had a 92Cherokee that did the same thing. Never did hear the fuel pump for the first 4-5 years, then one day it started humming. It was real loud. I continued to drive it for a couple more years. The fuel pump never did give out, but I got nervous and had it replaced.

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

I have been letting my FUEL E flash on before I get gas but not for long. It usually takes only 13 to 13.5 gallons at that time, given that it's a 20 gallon tank according to the manual, 6.5 to 7 gallons of gas 'should' keep it covered don't you think? :unsure: Maybe I better do a fuel pressure test soon.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that TODAY is the warmest day we have had in over a month? We have been experiencing 10 to 20 degrees for about a month today it hit 40.... Mike

Mike,

As everyone else said it is the fuel pump and you should not hear it in the car with the engine running. I have done one on another car and it was not fun. You do have to drop the tank. I have had then go bad "good night Irene" style and also linger. Sometimes it would run fine but fall falt on it's face at WOT. Another would be hard to start. Bottom line they fail in different ways.

Also the pump has a dense sponge jacket around it which will soak up fuel from the bottom. I suspect that would help cool it at low fuel levels.

If you have to replace that pump and the tank is full you have another problem :(

What do you do with 20 gal. of gas? I would keep the fuel as low as I could if you think the pump is about to fail!

Lou

94 Seville STS

Its normal to be able to hear the pump during key 'on'. A sudden change in the sound or the pitch of the motor can indicate a failing motor. If its loud enough to hear inside the car....it sounds like it may be into a failure mode...

Scotty

My 92 Seville has bugun to moan really loud from the fuel pump and it sure does make you wonder. It first did it only at 1/8 or less fuel. Now, after a couple months, it does it at 1/4 full. I think we're headed down the same road. I'm hoping it will last till warm weather when everything is a lot simpler.

For anyone who has done this: Are we talking expensive parts?

THanks ALL for your wisdom, I am going to keep and EYE and EAR on it. If worse comes to worse I may just chance having caddy replace it... what the hell..

Last night we got incredible rain downpours. I had to drive to the BRONX as I mentioned and she was fine. I even HAD to go through a section of 2 feet of water where 4 or 5 cars died on the other side. THE flood was at the bottom of the exit ramp off the CROSS BRONX and I was in it before I knew it, and there was NO backing up. I just drove through it hard and I was fine.

I drove it hard coming home after the rain stopped and opened her up a few times WOT and she is fine. I will listen this morning to see if I still hear it.

Thanks again... bbobynski, you made me feel much better with your post regarding the vapor lock, yes yesterday was our warmest day in a about a month, Mike

Guru--

"I wouldn't expect a fuel pump failure below 80-100k at all"

I've been holding out. My 92 Seville has 197k on it. I keep it cause it looks like new inside and out and runs great. Very little market value with those miles and it makes one hell of a second car. This moaning is really loud, but the car doesn't seem to mind. It's just me. :rolleyes:

THanks ALL for your wisdom, I am going to keep and EYE and EAR on it. If worse comes to worse I may just chance having caddy replace it... what the hell..

Last night we got incredible rain downpours. I had to drive to the BRONX as I mentioned and she was fine. I even HAD to go through a section of 2 feet of water where 4 or 5 cars died on the other side. THE flood was at the bottom of the exit ramp off the CROSS BRONX and I was in it before I knew it, and there was NO backing up. I just drove through it hard and I was fine.

I drove it hard coming home after the rain stopped and opened her up a few times WOT and she is fine. I will listen this morning to see if I still hear it.

Thanks again... bbobynski, you made me feel much better with your post regarding the vapor lock, yes yesterday was our warmest day in a about a month, Mike

If it really gets loud/changes pitch and you need to replace the pump, the tank needs to be removed. It sounds much harder than it really is. The worst part will be removing the large filler hose from the tank.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived