CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

it happend :-(

tekfx19

You guys have always been helpful in my caddy problems and i thank you all. My sts was hit on the passenger side both doors and crushed them in so they dont open, and the hit knocked me and the back of the car into a truck waiting opposite me at the 2 way intersection. Insurance is come soon to take a look, i think the frame is bent. The motor stayed on during the whole thing and continues to run perfectly. I will put pics as soon as i figure out how but i wanted to see what u guys think i should do. The engine is perfect and has 113000 miles on it, the tranny has 10000 miles on it. Im thinking about selling the car for parts. it still runs fine but its smashed in pretty bad. no windows were shattered. How much do u guys think i should sell it for? Do you think maybe i can get more money if i parted it ? or if i just told someone to buy it and drive it away? Thx alot

P.S.- Im sorry for your loss Bruce.

Wow.. glad you are ok. How fast was the hit? I've never hit anything or been hit in mine and I always wondered if the caddys still hold up in accidents like they did in the old days.. That should be pretty easy to fix , I doubt the frame is bent

I dont have collision, im not sure of floridas laws if its no fault insurance. The other party thinks it is my fault, but i have a witness saying that i did not run the stopsign that they are claiming. This was in a 30 mile an hour zone, do u think he was speeding by the damage?

Up here in Mass, if you don't have collision it's tuff luck,

even if it's the other party's fault. They will not persue

the other party to pay for damages to your car. More than

likely you'll get more $ by parting it. I can use a center cap.

Unfortunately if you had the stop sign and the other party did not, you are most likely at fault. Regardless of you stopping, the other person/insurance will claim that you did not proceed with caution from the stop sign while the other person, with the right of way, was traveling through the intersection. Also, unless there was someone with a radar gun nearby clocking the other person, speed will not be a factor on the other person because there is no way of telling how fast they were going. No fault refers to injuries. Some states have no fault up to $2000 (example) which is the threshold you need to reach in medical bills before you can make a bodily injury claim against the other person, nothing to do with the damage to the vehicle. After looking at the pictures, the frame is bent. Remember, the car is unibody construction, that pillar between the doors (B pillar) is pushed in pretty good along with the rocker panel and the roof panel, all have the unibody frame behind them. A good shop with a quality frame machine could take care of it. It's too bad, car looks to be in great shape.

This car is totalled. DO NOT let them fix it, as it will never be right.

Mike

(worked in a body shop for 18 years)

Typhoon

2001 STS with NAV

1994 BMW 850Ci

1993 GMC Typhoon

1988 Fiero waiting for a Northstar

1988 Toyota Supra Turbo "slightly" modified

Who was cited in accident? Does the other driver have insurance?

If you were not at fault, even in Florida, his insurance is on the hook for the accident. By the looks of the car, dont let them try to fix....With the roof buckled like it is, there is got to be structural damage... Good luck with the insurance....

If you do decide to part it out, what would be asking for the bumper cover and bottom spoiler for the front...Thanks!

Ohhhhhhhhhh, when I see something like this I get sick to my stomach. Wow....do I feel your pain. That's really terrible. I would try to collect as much $$$ as possible from the other party and buy a new car and not attempt to fix that. Looks too serious to fix.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I was on my way to visit a customer of mine which i fix their computers the person was ouside about 50 feet ahead of me when i was at the stop sign, he witnessed me stop at the stop sign and proceed, when i got hit I myself was even perplexed as to how the car seemed to appear out of nowhere. i went back to that same stop sign the next day and found that there is a large bush covering the area in which the other driver came out of which was my right. My witness came to help me after the accident and he said he will testify in court. Also about the speeding, cant the damage for the both cars speak for themselves i dont think you need a radar gun for that.

I was tboned in a parking lot, and while the guy hit me it dragged all along the driver's side of the car, and messed up everything from the front fender, door, rear fender, both wheels, and the read bumper. The the thing was It had a cloth top on it, so it all had to be hand repaired, and wow, I can tell you after 3 months, you could never tell the difference. That being said I think the repair bills exceeded 6000 but the car was worth more. (thank GOD for USAA) anyway, the guy had Geico and VA law says if you immobolize soemone's car, you must supply a comprable car for the time needed to fix the car, in this case it was about 2.5 months, so we had a '04 deville in the driveway! (free)

my 96 eldo that god hit by the semi, had other than bent rims (axles) and a broken rear window, looked to be less damaged than the 97, but they totaled it. I seriously doubt the car that got hit by you would. should be repaired, no way can that cost anything less that 10k to repair to a previous stste of perfection.

BUT! after all the accidents in caddys all I can say as I never got so much as a hit head, or even ANY cuts, scrapes, nothing like that.

f'ing aye.. that totally blows. these Cadillac forums would be a pretty good place to part the vehicle out, but i dont know.. i had an idea erlier but forgot.. anyays, i hope you come out on top of this.

are you sticking with cadillac, or ?

Almost exactly same thing happened to me in a parking lot, except there was no stop signs on either side. I Got Ted @ 35-40mph or so. You can see the pics in my earlier post http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=2321&hl= Nedless to say it was totalled... I was barely creepin out of one section with bushes in my view, and BAM!

It was a 70s Volvo, busted it's headlight & broke the plate off :huh:

Based on my experience and the photos you have there, you are looking at well over $10,000 worth of repairs. Most likely, that's more than the book value of your car.

Assuming you have collision coverage, my guess is that your insurance company will call it a total loss.

I think the bent roof and door opening damage is serious and as the typhoon said its totalled. What a shame, especially since the other guy wants to fight about whose fault it is, luckily you have a witness! Good Luck, Mike

The bush may keep you from getting a ticket but it may not keep you from being considered "at fault" in the accident. Since you pulled out they may tag you with the hazardous action that caused the accident. Insurance differs in ea. state but in MI you would probably get nothing unless you had collision coverage.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, when I see something like this I get sick to my stomach. Wow....do I feel your pain. That's really terrible. I would try to collect as much $$$ as possible from the other party and buy a new car and not attempt to fix that. Looks too serious to fix.

It all depends on the condition of the car and the value to the owner. A good body shop can properly repair the worst of damage and there will be no clue to the damage after the repair.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived