CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

wax / polish

bigfoo

What are some of the best things to use for polishing/waxing? I've tried tons of stuff and nothing lasts more than a few weeks or a month..... I've tried meguirs, nu finish, turtle wax, etc........... every 6 months or so you see new stuff come out.. now there's this teflon wax stuff which to me sounds like bs because how can teflon be applied to paint when it won't stick to anything. Maybe it just helps in the application to make it so you don't have to run as hard who knows..... I'm just curious what you guys use and what kind of results you have seen.. THanks

I personaly like the Meguirs products. I have wanted to start a discussion on this topic for some time now but was waiting to be able to add photo of my car. I do a three step procedure, first the paint cleaner, the glaze/polish and then #32 high tech yellow wax or their new stuff called gold class. Once I've got a good coat down then after each wash I use a product that I spray on while the car is still wet. Once I've dried the the car then I use quick detailer spray to add luster and shine to the finish. The wax seems to last a lot longer this way, I live in so. Florida and the sun can be brudal not to mention the trees here as well can really damage a paint finish. The car seems to stay clean longer this way, the dirt just does not stick and the water always beads up nicely. I have used and like the Rain-x car wash with wax but not convienced that it helps with the reflective qualities any. In this sun and heat I can usually go 6months or more between waxings.

sebring06RTP.jpg

Wow that sounds like it takes a long time :) I just dont' have all that much time to wash the car. I spend more time driving and working than anything else :/

I do admit that there is a lot of time invested but once you get it clean and waxed up it takes very little time to keep it there.

I'm with you on the working and driving most of the time.

sebring06RTP.jpg

bigfoot got it right...if the paint has been neglected, the 3 step that he layed out is the ONLY way you will bring the finish back and be able to go some time without doing all 3 steps. if your paint is rough after washing the car, then it needs the 3 step. the good news is, once you do the 3 step, you're good to go for a while on just the wax. hit it with a coat of wax every 6 moinths and the polish and glaze will last a good while. jack 90seville 94k

The other products, the wax you spray on while your car is still wet and the "quick Detailer spray" also helps keep the wax on the finish for a much longer time as well. Once the car has been detailed I can wash, wipe it down with the spray, and do the tires too in a half hour.

sebring06RTP.jpg

"Zymol".............

http://www.zymol.com

Best stuff I've found, I use Zymol, and ONLY Zymol, on my car.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I think Meguiar's it the best. See their site here >> http://www.meguiars.com/

They have a 3 step process, with a #1 cleaner, #2 polish, and #3 wax. The polish feeds the paint, and causes a deep liquidy finish and the wax seals the finish. Visit the site and look around the site is very informative. The other product that I use of theirs is the detailing spray and the clay. The clay takes all the imperfections, dirt and sap, off the paint and when you are done it feels incredibly smooth, smoother than a baby's behind! This photo is from 10 minutes ago, I just waxed it, Mike

post-3-1087683813.jpg

Nice! What color is that? My 97 Deville is what they call "Doeskin", it looks as if it could be the same.

It's sort of a light beige color, I have the new car window sticker but I can't find it right now.

I am going to pull that grill off and see if it has damaged the paint, if not, I am going for a Concours grill with the cadillac crest in the middle. That is the only thing that I dislike about the car. Mike

Lookin good Mike! I think that lower rear fender look is pretty cool.

I used to be a die hard Zymol fan. Infact I would still use it if i could find the 2 full bottles I stored somewhere safe. I guess they're real safe. Since i couldn't find either bottle last week I ran out to buy another bottle and came home with Turtle Wax spray wax. I did the entire car in a 1/3 the time it use to take to apply the Zymol. The look is fantastic and in short I'm just impressed. I've found a new wax. The pics I posted were 2 days after I waxed and parked under a tree. Not bad... not bad at all.

-kg

30 miles to go...

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

In the Meguiar's line Color-X is hard to beat for a one step cleaner wax. A coat of NXT (Next Generation Wax) on top of the Color-X coat looks even better yet. After that, an application of Final Detail (Quick Spray Shine Enhancer # D-5101). I've used Quick Detailer, Final Inspection#34, and Final Detail. FD rocks. NXT Spray Wax (A Wax Booster) can be used between full blown wax jobs, followed by FD, for a quick shine crisper. #20 Polymer Sealant works good on light colors and lasts pretty long. A plain water wash makes a wax job last longer (No Car Soap to wash the wax away).

rek

In the Meguiar's line Color-X is hard to beat for a one step cleaner wax. A coat of NXT (Next Generation Wax) on top of the Color-X coat looks even better yet. After that, an application of Final Detail (Quick Spray Shine Enhancer # D-5101). I've used Quick Detailer, Final Inspection#34, and Final Detail. FD rocks. NXT Spray Wax (A Wax Booster) can be used between full blown wax jobs, followed by FD, for a quick shine crisper. #20 Polymer Sealant works good on light colors and lasts pretty long. A plain water wash makes a wax job last longer (No Car Soap to wash the wax away).

Wow rek! I felt I was reading a How To to wash and wax a NASA space shuttle. I feel so primitive using a one step wax. Wait....3 step! Spray.... spread.... wipe woohoo!!! I feel better now.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I've used lots of waxes, but I prefer Super Glaze, from The Wax Shop. It goes on very thin, and it's useful as a nice top coat only. But that's what I like most about it -- it's not a heavy wax that just lays on the car. It goes on thin, and dries very light (the same color as "Scotty"s car). When you buff it off, you don't get that flaky residue or dust you get with most waxes. Just a nice clean surface.

It's good for a month or two, before the water stops beading. Granted, that's with LOTS of car washes (I usually wash twice a week), but still, I think that's pretty good. I don't like waxes that lay heavy on the car because I think it tends to build up over time.

You used to only be able to buy The Wax Shop in California. My dad started using it when we lived out there (years ago). When we moved east, to Virginia, you couldn't get it, and he'd stock up on a couple or three bottles when he would go out there on business. Now, you can buy it in a few stores (including online). My local Pep Boys stocks Super Glaze. I'd like to get my hands on some LRV Protectant, but I've never seen that locally, and I've never gotten around to ordering any online.

Here's a pic of a freshly Super Glazed Seville... profile1.jpg

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

OK.. How about this.. I'm not overly concerned with the 'shine' of the car. I just want it to look nice and most importantly stay clean and not get any rust or discolorations, etc.. so I'm more concerned about the protection of the finish rather than making it look the best I can .. I don't have time to wash it twice a week or even once a week for that matter, so when I do i want to use something that will last , even if I don't wash the car for a few months .

I don't have time to wash it twice a week or even once a week for that matter, so when I do i want to use something that will last , even if I don't wash the car for a few months .

Well then I probably wouldn't use Super Glaze. I don't think it goes on very thick, and it probably doesn't offer the protection, over the real long haul, as something thicker would, like a nice Meguiars paste wax. I think the Super Glaze is more for a hobbyist, as I find it does require more frequent applications; which again, I think is a good thing if you have the opportunity to be out with the car often.

In reality, much like oils, car care products have advanced so much in recent years. So much so that pretty much ANYTHING you apply is going to offer you good protection. Just make sure you wax it at least twice a year, and if you're going for protection, I think you'll be fine.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Sounds like what you are looking for is the "Polymer sealants". I think Blue Coral makes one. Supposed to last for 6 months or a year, something like that. "Bonds to the finish" so they say. Their marketing is impressive if you read the back of the box. That said, I have never been one to believe everything I read from the manufacturer or I would be using the "Tornado" :lol: I have used it but can't really say I have noticed any real difference between it and Carnuba wax. Just my $.02. Something to consider.

Anybody that thinks the 3 step takes too long...Try clay baring the WHOLE car bumper to bumper :)

I dont do the three step process everytime. I would say every three times I do the polish route, a wash, clay job on the hood and trunk, and caranuba wax to finish it works fine. I think the clay is amazing. I am going to look into Meguiar's NXT (Next Generation Wax) I just got a brochure from them introducing the line.

I have always wanted to look into ZAINO, has anyone used this product. I am reluctant to use it. When you prep the car you need to strip the old wax. Here is the site: (cut and paste it if you have to, Mike

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mercha...gory_Code=Zaino

Zaino is all I've used/needed for my '75/'89/'99 vettes and '93 sts. Next application is my '01 STS. The polish/wax discussion occurs frequently at the corvette forum. Zaino seems to be the favorite. It goes on in layers and each builds on the other. Not a wax that can degrade. I'm not an expert, just a satisfied customer.

I have used Zaino for a couple of years on the Cad & Mountaineer, both black. Its the only thing I have found that will last a MI winter. Zaino is not a cleaner type product. It wont remove waterspots or clean your paint. It is a sealent that is extreemly reflective & long lasting. So your paint has to be in good shape before useing Zaino.

I just finished my spring cleaning. It consisted of claying the car. Followed by: 1. power buffing w/Menzerna Intensive Polish. 2. useing a random orbital buffer W/Menzerna Final Polish 3. two coats of Zaino Z5 w/ZFX & one coat of Z2 following the Zaino instructions. I'll continue to put a couple of coats of Zaino on ea. month till winter.

bigfoo, I dont know of anything that is going to look good without someone putting in some time & effort. There are not any short cuts that last more than a few weeks.

OK.. How about this.. I'm not overly concerned with the 'shine' of the car. I just want it to look nice and most importantly stay clean and not get any rust or discolorations, etc.. so I'm more concerned about the protection of the finish rather than making it look the best I can .. I don't have time to wash it twice a week or even once a week for that matter, so when I do i want to use something that will last , even if I don't wash the car for a few months .

Hahaa I'm inclined to agree with you bigfoo. The last time i waxed the caddy was last July. It probably could've used another going over before winter or this spring but it's just not that big of a deal to me. I do, however, wash or rinse the car once a week but i spend most of the time doing the underbody. I've seen plenty of shiney cars that were rusted out underneath around here. But each to his/her own on the wax thing. I'm looking for fast and easy with a nice finish. Not interested in show car shine because she's to busy collecting mud and bugs. But I have to admit after reading some of these posts, I feel as though I've been neglecting the ol girl. Wonder if she'd rather stay home and look clean over going fishing via muddy rut filled road....nah. Mud spattered down the sides..... now there's character. :D

"Burns" rubber

Heh.. I don't wash under it.. don't want to get water in any more places than it has to be in. I'll just stick with nu finish or something like that that is extremely easy to put on and just do it 2 times a year maybe.. hasn't hurt anything on my truck although the finish looks a little dull i don't think it's damaged in any way which is what i really care about. . once i'm retired, i'll wax the car every weekend :>

About Romey-Rome's comment regarding Mr. Clean Auto Dry.

I believe their key to spot-free rinses would be the small amount of cat-ion resin from a water softener, but there can not be very much in the hose-end resivour.

Using de-ionized or softwater to rinse a car - certainly makes sense to virtually eliminate water spots from calcium-carbonate deposits.

If you have soft water at your home, it might only be installed on the hot water heater inlet, because hot water is the majority of most clothes-washing and bathing. The water softener could also be on all the house water. But even then, the outside faucets (to wash/rinse the car) might come off upstream of the softener to reduce demand on the softener itself.

Assuming the water softener is in the garage, you could use a heavy-wall, heat-resistant garden hose running from the water heater drain (flush hard first) to rinse the car with softened hot water. There will still be a minor problem with airborne dust collecting easily on wet surfaces, so some towell-drying may still be required.

Try-it, at least your water heater will like the blow-down every now and then. ;)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Archived