CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

WINTER WHEEL CARE

JACK

I live in a northern climate, they salt the roads in winter. My question is there anything one can do (short of using winter rims) to help prevent salt damage to chrome wheels? I was thinking that there must be something one can spray or apply to wheels to help prevent salt corrosion. Thanks in advance for any usefull tips.

I live in a northern climate, they salt the roads in winter. My question is there anything one can do (short of using winter rims) to help prevent salt damage to chrome wheels? I was thinking that there must be something one can spray or apply to wheels to help prevent salt corrosion. Thanks in advance for any usefull tips.

the chrome can be waxed the same wax & procedure you would use on the paint finish. You would also want to wash the wheels down in the winter when you can, and when the weather is going to be OK. (ex: dont wash them down when there is a prediction of snow the next day or so. - rather wash them down when the roads will be dry for a while) make sure you don't wipe them down with a dry cloth, as you'll leave micro scratches. I use a washcloth, lots of suds (pour a little soap on a warm/hot soaking wet washcloth). and if/when possible, hose them down.

stay away from abrasive metal polishes and such, as they tend to wear the very thin layer of chrome off the wheel, and expose the nickel underneath leaving your chrome looking like $.05

polish your car every year and wash off the salt every week in winter (if above freezing point).

put some silikon at all your door and trunk weather stripping.

in spring wash also under the car. (with a garden hose)

do not store you car with salt on it in a heated garage.

if you see some rust somewhere, repair it imidiently!

if you can not repair it imidiently put some roststop on it (take care with painted surfaces)

If you do get surface rust, NEVR-DULL works great for removing it, and is also great for cleaning all types of metals.

I used it on all the chrome on a Surburban I used to own, it removed all the surface rust and the bumpers shined like new.

I also recently purchased a set of grungy STS chrome wheels to go on my Deville and they shined up really nice.

NEVR-DULL

2001 Deville, Sterling Silver exterior with Dark Gray leather, 93k miles

Y'know, I was thinking, if you wouldn't care too much about keeping them clean through the winter, I wonder what a light coat of vasoline or maybe on of those rust proofing sprays like Tool Saver would work? I'm sure it would come off easily with some mineral spirits in the springtime.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

While the vaseline would probably work fine for a fixed object left outside, it'll quickly be blasted off the rim by the constant misting and splashing that occurs at the wheels. Very similar effect with a tire-shine - tires are "glossy" with shine for a while, but dirty and dry after a long drive in the rain. Also, you'll attract so much dirt with a thick greasy substance, that the stuff clinging to the rim will cause worse corrosion than if you never applied anything at all.

I've made it through many winters with a very simple technique. In the fall, I heavily clean the rim with a strong wheel cleaner to get it as clean as possible. After drying, I use never-dull as a pre-cleaner and polish to remove any rust or remaining contaminants. After the never-dull, I use a clay-bar to remove anything else that may be embedded in the wheel, such a brake-dust and metallic fallout. After claying, I apply 3 or 4 coats of whatever durable sealant (or car wax would work fine, too) I have hanging around. Last year I applied several coats of Zaino Z5, and topped them with the Zaino Spray-Seal (Z8). I did this in November, and even in February, I could practically "rinse" my rim clean! Nothing would stick, and they'd stay very clean.

If you've got a LOT of time to kill, check out www.autopia.org - it's a great resource for obsessive detailing and car care techniques!

Archived