CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Deville tranny qustion, please read

Wildcard

i just recently got my first caddy, its a 2000 Deville DHS. something has me a little concerned. the trany shifts smooth but i have noticed when it shifts from 1st gear to 2nd its smooth feeling but about 2 or 3 seconds latter its seems to shift again. It seems strange that it would shift that soon. is this normal or is what im seeing and feeling a slip? Its def not just a little bump because i can actually see the RPM's drop, and its not rough feeling eather, it does not clunk. it will drop a little then like i said in about a couple seconds it will drop again and you can feel it doing so. it does not iirc do this when at wide open throttle but i'll test that in the morning.

Whenever I look seriously at a used car I immediately inspect the oil, coolant, and transmission fluid. Smell can tell a lot sometimes, in fact more than a CarFAX occasionally. The oil should smell like... oil, perhaps a little musty. A little dark may be OK but a smell of anything else is a red flag. Transmission fluid should NOT smell of plastic or Bakelite -- i.e. clutch or band friction material. Coolant should NOT have an exhaust smell to it, and in your car it should be red, not green. In a car that old, no matter how good they look I change the oil, coolant, and transmission fluid as soon as I can after taking possession of the car.

The next thing to do when looking at a car (it's not too late now that you have taken possession of it) is to run the OBD codes. Here's how:

That said, your early shift sounds normal. The transmission is programmed to keep the engine off-idle for gas mileage and smoothness, and will go from 2nd into 3rd pretty quickly at very low throttle. It will go into 4th gear just under 40 mph and the TCC will engage just under 45 mph.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

How many miles

Try shifting it manually and see if you get any delayed engagements

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

How many miles

Thank u guys for the replies. the car has 58k miles. I'll try doing the shifts manualy tomorrow. Also what is TCC?

How many miles

Thank u guys for the replies. the car has 58k miles. I'll try doing the shifts manualy tomorrow. Also what is TCC?

The shifting you describe...seems NORMAL to me.

TCC is Torque Converter Clutch.

Posted Image

• 9 months later...

Sounds normal unless you are racing and pushing it hard, its all computer bs but yet its programmed to save gas selectively based on your personal driving conditions

Archived