CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Changing spark plugs!

badrhino

Just wondering how hard it is to get to the back spark plugs. My car has 100,000 on her and starts a little rough in the morning. Sometimes it takes 3 turn overs to get her started so I figured I would try the spark plug replacement first to see if that is it.

What all needs to be removed to get to the back bank of plugs?

Thanks!

Today is the day you were worried about yesterday!

You can reach the back plugs with a long extension on the ratchet. It's not as hard as it looks, you shouldn't have to tilt the engine. I didn't at least. I didn't even take the coil packs off. Hopefully yours is similar.

I just pulled the wires off one by one and changed the plugs that way, by touch.

Don't use the dielectric grease on the wires.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

Unbolt the ICM (there is a hidden bolt on the back side that you'll have to use the Braille method on). Remove the two electrical connectors on each side. Then you can set it aside without pulling any plug wires off of the coils and you'll have easy access to the plugs.

Also, use compressed air to blow off any dirt that may be on the cam covers before removing the wires and again, once the wires are removed (before removing the plugs).

Use AC Delco dual platinum tipped plugs, and DO NOT use any type of anti-sieze on the threads.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Check your ignition wires also at that mileage, you should probably change them, use AC DELCO

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

hard start is usually FPR. less money than plugs/wires. though new parts is good for peace of mind. pretty quick too.

Unbolt the ICM (there is a hidden bolt on the back side that you'll have to use the Braille method on). Remove the two electrical connectors on each side. Then you can set it aside without pulling any plug wires off of the coils and you'll have easy access to the plugs.

As I have just did the exact same thing 2 days ago he is completely correct and it is def the easiest method took me all of about 35 mins to do all 8 plugs and wires ...these guys wont steer u wrong

Difficult HOT starts are often the result of a bad FPR. It sounds like the car in question is difficult to start when cold.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Ok....am I missing something I have a 2001 Deville and I can't even find the spark plugs to change them. My car starts fine, but it idles rough. i pulled the codes and it said I had a misfire on one of the cylinders i am assuming it's one of my plugs. Does anyone have any pictures they could share showing where the plugs are at? this would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

You have a different animal. 2000+ went to COP (coil on plug) ignition. If you look at the cam cover you will see an ignition cassette set in it. Your plugs are under there. The cassette needs to be removed. Front one is a piece of cake.

Archived