CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

CTS 0-60 mph Results

Bruce Nunnally

Popped out for a couple of measured acceleration runs on my 2004 CTS 3.6L. For reference, Motor Trend said 6.4s, Car & Driver did not measure but guessed 6.8s or so. The 3.2L auto was measured by R&T at 7.3s, but I have seen independent tests as low as 6.8s for the 3.2L auto.

Cold weather here - 40F, low fuel - 1/8 tank, so optimal settings to see what the CTS will do (not SAE standard 60F). Keep in mind that the low gas also mitigates the difference between my weight and the standard 160 lb auto magazine journalist. Tranny in 'Sport' mode for both runs. No mods on the CTS.

Full results here: http://www.caddyinfo.com/ctsaccel.htm

Summary: 0-60 in 6.56s with traction control, 6.26s without.

No audible wheelspin either run, so I need to practice launches more another day.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Just think what you'll be doing with a little practice and when the caar is broken in a little more!

How do you feel in this car after the STS. Do you feel cramped? How about the back seat. I've liked this car since it first came out but I wasn't interested in rear wheel drive. Since the STS and the DTS are both going to be RWD, I might as well get the CTS as I sure like the looks better than what I've seen of the STS so far.

Popped out for a couple of measured acceleration runs on my 2004 CTS 3.6L. For reference, Motor Trend said 6.4s, Car & Driver did not measure but guessed 6.8s or so. The 3.2L auto was measured by R&T at 7.3s, but I have seen independent tests as low as 6.8s for the 3.2L auto.

Cold weather here - 40F, low fuel - 1/8 tank, so optimal settings to see what the CTS will do (not SAE standard 60F). Keep in mind that the low gas also mitigates the difference between my weight and the standard 160 lb auto magazine journalist. Tranny in 'Sport' mode for both runs. No mods on the CTS.

Full results here: http://www.caddyinfo.com/ctsaccel.htm

Summary: 0-60 in 6.56s with traction control, 6.26s without.

No audible wheelspin either run, so I need to practice launches more another day.

great times bro B)

sure beat mine, 6.5

I like the CTS very well. It is much more direct and responsive than my STS was. The 5-speed auto is very nice, and seems to be in the right gear a lot. I hope the 6-speed auto gets to market on time and can handle more torque; the 5t40-e is maxed out with the 3.6's torque, although there is a 5t50-e that is used with the v8s.

The space is okay. I thought I would want a bigger car, but the family & carpool & so on fit in the CTS. Based on the ones I test-sat-in it has about the same rear seat room as the 98+ Sevilles (on paper 0.5" less leg room). The seats are good, and the car is a comfortable size for me. Of course, overall I am thrilled that you can buy a NEW Cadillac for about the same as the average car sold in 2003 stickered for ($30K).

I think there's too little diff in times between my info so far on the CTS 3.6L and the 96 STS info I have to reach a relative conclusion there. I am glad that the CTS turned in reasonable numbers. You'd have to run them on the same day, same driver, same course to tell more. And we'll have to see how the CTS runs in the heat yet.

I'd still like to get a sedan under 6s to 60 one of these days. My 1983 Porsche 944 did 0-60 in around 7.5s. My best ever 0-60 mph time with the 92 STS was 7.06s (avg around 7.3s). Best with the 96 STS was 0-60 mph in 6.32s (avg 6.5-6.7s). So the 6.26s with the CTS is a new personal best at least.

Bruce

Good times Bruce! Looks like I better watch out for those 3.6L cars!

And keep an eye out for those pesky diesel VW Touregs! No joke! I got my March issue of Car & Driver yesterday and the V-10 TDI Toureg does 0-60 in 6.2 seconds! Over 300 hp and over 500 lb*ft of torque. Wow!

I don't think that option is available in the US though, so they should be few and far between. ;)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

There are many more vehicles out there today that exceed the performance of the once mighty Northstar! :( The new Acura TL goes 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. I've never seen a stock Cadillac do anything that fast. I hope they juice the Northstar up a little for the '05 model year. We need to keep up with the best out there!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

• 2 years later...

Those times look as good as the C&D times for the ETC. This kind of thing is why I would look at a Caterra if I were changing cars.

Last year when they were just out, a horsey hosewife in one of those big V8 Volkswagens tried to kick sand in my face in a divided road with woods on both sides and half-mile straights between lights. I put enough distance between us to get a whole light cycle ahead of her and didn't see her again. Lots of oomph off the line and great kick at 60 mph but no wind.

It sounds like the big diesel V10's are more than a match for an old Northstar.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

In later results here: http://www.caddyinfo.com/2005CTScorsavolant.htm

I finally got my 05 CTS w/exhaust+CAI to 60 in under 6 seconds at 59F, which was my goal.

In terms of acceleration, all the modern Cadillacs have good acceleration and good to great passing performance. They are generally not racing cars, although one could argue that the CTS-V can perform pretty well as a track car, especially with the optional FG2 suspension. But I don't care if there are performance trucks, subcompacts, or sports cars that are quicker 0-60 than the CTS. I am not focused on racing, especially street racing, as much as having a car that is fun to drive AND luxurious. The different cars in the Cadillac line offer different compromises across the spectrum of cost, luxury, and performance, but none of them are poor choices.

I am very excited about the new engines GM is coming along with. Direct injection and more turbos promise better fuel economy and better performance, which is even more fun.

I also would like to see a plug in hybrid powerplant for the CTS, so that I could do my daily commute on battery power, and use the engine for the highway or if longer range was needed.

Bruce

Archived