CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Compressor for 1992 Eldorado 4.9L

seanr1976

Hey everybody. I have a problem. I need to replace the A/C compressor on my Eldorado. Here's the problem: Cadillac made two kinds of compressor for that car--one kind is sealed by O-rings, and the other kind is sealed by flat washers. I have already gone to a local dealer in the hopes that my VIN number would indicate which kind of compressor I need, but the parts counter was unable to give me anything other than a part number (19188340) which does not give a description of how it is sealed in the system.

Do any of you guys know which kind of compressor i should get? I suppose I could always go get one and see if it works (and then take it back if it is the incorrect one), but I would just as soon get it right the first time.

As usual, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

----------------------

1992 Eldorado 4.9L

The only way to tell is to remove the existing compressor and see what type of seals are on the manifold lines. What is the reason you're replacing the compressor?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Why am I replacing the compressor? Because the compressor on the car 1) is not the correct one for the car, and 2) the compressor that is on the car does not work.

I appear to have the flat-washer seals as I cannot see any O-ring grooves on the manifold lines. I've already bought a replacelement compressor, and so now all I have to do is find a way to get the old one off and the new one on. Ha ha

----------------------

1992 Eldorado 4.9L

The o-ring grooves are on the compressor body. The manifold block crushes the o-rings into the grooves on the compressor if it is the o-ring type seal. The flat metal washer/rubber seals seal the connection better than the older o-ring only design but the o-rings and metal/rubber seals are not interchangable.

If the compressor that is on the car is not the correct one, how did someone even get it to bolt in? Just curious.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

That's a fascinating question and one that I don't have an answer for. I would guess that the compressor currently on my vehicle may have come from an older Cadillac--perhaps one with a 4.5L or 4.1L engine, as they have the same engine block as my 4.9L, and perhaps they also use the same mounting bolts. However, the compressor on my car right now has a larger pulley than the one that SHOULD be there, so that also requires me to put a different serp belt on after installing the correct compressor (as the belt that is currently on the car will then be too big).

The people who had this car before me were not entirely honest about many things.

----------------------

1992 Eldorado 4.9L

Ok, the new compressor is on the car. The old compressor was apparently from a 1995 car and said to use R-134a refrigerant. That's funny because my car uses R-12. Anyway, I've come up against yet another problem: the manifold lines are not fitting into the back of the compressor. And the beat goes on....

----------------------

1992 Eldorado 4.9L

Ok, the new compressor is on the car. The old compressor was apparently from a 1995 car and said to use R-134a refrigerant. That's funny because my car uses R-12. Anyway, I've come up against yet another problem: the manifold lines are not fitting into the back of the compressor. And the beat goes on....

By the way, you can bypass the AC compressor on 4.9 engine with a shorter serpentine belt. I have got part numbers somewhere and even keep one in the trunk.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Makes you wonder if the R134a compressor was drained of the Ester oil, flushed and refilled with Pag 150 before installing it. If not, You may have more problems ahead.

Maybe it has been converted to use 134A.

That could be why the different compressor was on it and also why the manifold don't match up to the compressor that you have now.

Posted Image

Archived