CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

RADIATOR LEAKING, PLEASE HELP!!!!!

FOR ABOUT THE PAST WEEK I BEEN HAVING TO PUT COOLANT...I WASNT SURE WHERE THE LEAK WAS UNTIL LAST NIGHT......

LAST NIGHT WHEN I WAS DRIVING HOME FROM WORK I WAS GOING UP A HILL AND I SEEN THAT THE TEMPERATURE WAS RAISING ON THE GAUGE..WHEN I WAS GOING DOWN THE HILL THE TEMPERATURE STARTED GOING BACK TO NORMAL..

WHEN I GOT HOME I PARKED MY CAR AND TURNED IT OFF..THAN THATS WHEN I HERD A SQUIRTING NOISE FROM UNDER THE CAR..I CHECKED AND IT WAS COMING OUT FROM UNDER THE RADIATOR ON THE PASSENGERS SIDE. (BUT I GUESS THE SQUIRTING DOESNT HAPPEND UNLESS THE CAR IS REALLY HOT) ITS THE 1ST TIME THAT I SEEN THE COOLANT BURSTING OUT FROM THAT NIPPLE.....

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS PICTURES THAT I TOOK..I GUESS ITS A NIPPLE THAT THE RADIATOR HAS..

IM CLUELESS WHEN IT COMES TO THIS BECAUSE IM NOT SURE WHAT IT COULD BE. PLEASE HELP...

post-10243-1243028420_thumb.jpg

post-10243-1243028425_thumb.jpg

FOR ABOUT THE PAST WEEK I BEEN HAVING TO PUT COOLANT...I WASNT SURE WHERE THE LEAK WAS UNTIL LAST NIGHT......

LAST NIGHT WHEN I WAS DRIVING HOME FROM WORK I WAS GOING UP A HILL AND I SEEN THAT THE TEMPERATURE WAS RAISING ON THE GAUGE..WHEN I WAS GOING DOWN THE HILL THE TEMPERATURE STARTED GOING BACK TO NORMAL..

WHEN I GOT HOME I PARKED MY CAR AND TURNED IT OFF..THAN THATS WHEN I HERD A SQUIRTING NOISE FROM UNDER THE CAR..I CHECKED AND IT WAS COMING OUT FROM UNDER THE RADIATOR ON THE PASSENGERS SIDE. (BUT I GUESS THE SQUIRTING DOESNT HAPPEND UNLESS THE CAR IS REALLY HOT) ITS THE 1ST TIME THAT I SEEN THE COOLANT BURSTING OUT FROM THAT NIPPLE.....

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS PICTURES THAT I TOOK..I GUESS ITS A NIPPLE THAT THE RADIATOR HAS..

IM CLUELESS WHEN IT COMES TO THIS BECAUSE IM NOT SURE WHAT IT COULD BE. PLEASE HELP...

I took a look at your photos, they are way too small to identify what you are looking at

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The photos are, as noted, way to small to really see what you are trying to show. That being said.... in the first photo there appears to be a rubber nipple held on with a screw clamp. If this is the case, I do not know why it is there, unless this is the drain valve. If so the valve may be stuck, or otherwise inoperable, and someone placed a rubber nipple with a screw clamp over it to keep it from leaking. If this "nipple" is as I suspect a vacuum tube nipple, it was never designed to hold hot liquids under pressure.

When the engine is COLD, take a good look and see if it is a drain valve. If it is, I would remove the valve and replace it.

After you are sure the leak is sealed, be sure to refill with a 50/50 mix of coolant, very important for the Northstar engine.

-George

PS

It helps the reader, if you do not type in all capitals. :)

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

The drain is on the drivers side.

I agree, as far as I know all of the drains were on the drivers side, but....the photo does look like a drain valve, OR a transmission line connection. I don't think it a transmission line connection, as it was leaking water, and the transmission would likely would be overheating and sending an error code. Not knowing the direction that the photo was taken from, I am making some reasonable assumptions.

In any case some closer inspection is needed by the car owner, to clear up any confusion as to the objects location.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I have seen cases where there was a coolant leak in the transmission cooler and a shade-tree mechanic "shorted" the transmission cooler and put plugs in the transmission cooler connections on the radiator. It could be that this happened and one of them is leaking.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Hey guys thanks so much for all your help. Sorry i couldnt reply earlier.

I called the Cadillac dealer today, and they told me that the coolant system generator hose goes connected to that part where its leaking. Do you guys have any clue what that is?? or where its connected to. For some reason when i bought my car it didnt come with that hose. it only has a rubber niple with a clamp on it.

I tried asking the guy from parts to explain to me what the generator is and where its located, he didnt know lol, i also asked him how much would that hose be. and i guess they dont have it on stock he will call me back.

(by the way. that nipple is located on the passengers side fromt he radiator

thanks so much.

post-10243-1243382571_thumb.jpg

My car doesn't have a cooled alternator. Anyone else?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Confusing information here. And the pictures do not provide any clues for me.

1) Original poster claims a 2002 model Seville.

2) My (feeble) memory tells me liquid cooled alternators were factory installed on only 1998 and 1999 Seville models.

Two plus two is not making sense.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

yes i know im confused as well. i have a seville 2002 sls. But thats what the cadillac dealer told me about the coolant system generator i have no clue what that is.

***the picture that i posted is from the botton of the right hand side of the radiator.

take a look at this diagram that the dealer sent me, maybe it can answer all of the questions.

According to the dealer, the coolant system generator hose goes connected there.

post-10243-1243436615_thumb.jpg

Maybe the radiator has been changed...with a possible wrecking yard radiator...sometime before the current owner bought it.

But if the current car DOES NOT have the cooled alternator...

and the radiator DOES HAVE the connection...

and if THAT is where the leak is...

what is wrong with just capping the fitting SECURELY?

That will fix the leak...which is the problem...If I am reading everything correctly.

Posted Image

Maybe the radiator has been changed...with a possible wrecking yard radiator...sometime before the current owner bought it.

That will fix the leak...which is the problem...If I am reading everything correctly.

To be honest with you i dont know what the "Cooled Alternator" is.

The only time the car leaks from that place is when i run the car for about 30 minutes on the freeway and than shut it down.. thats when it starts leaking. I guess because the water is hot and it has too much pressure.

Here is a bigger picture of what im talking about. I guess the nipple from the radiator was cover by a rubber niple and a clamp is whats holding it.

post-10243-1243442316_thumb.jpg

To be honest with you i dont know what the "Cooled Alternator" is.

The only time the car leaks from that place is when i run the car for about 30 minutes on the freeway and than shut it down.. thats when it starts leaking. I guess because the water is hot and it has too much pressure.

Here is a bigger picture of what im talking about. I guess the nipple from the radiator was cover by a rubber niple and a clamp is whats holding it.

Heat, and as a byproduct, pressure, will build up in a pressurized cooling system for a time, when you shut the engine off.

That is why it leaks when you shut off the engine.

I assume that you know what a regular alternator is. :D

For a couple of years or so, Cadillac installed alternators that were actually cooled by coolant coming from the radiator...just like the engine gets cooled by coolant from the radiator.

They were only installed (as JimD said) in 1998 and 1999.

You have a 2002...therefore you do NOT have a liquid cooled alternator...therefore you do NOT need the hose that runs from that nipple to a liquid cooled alternator...therefore that nipple is (for your purposes) redundant.

That is why I suggested exploring what it would take to make a PERMANENT FIX, instead of the rubber nipple and hose clamp.

If it is a threaded fitting, it may just need a metal cap installed on it.

Then again...the rubber nipple may be OK...the clamp may just need tightening. :D

But I would not have it (the rubber nipple) on MY car...I would be afraid it would start leaking while I was driving and cause me to be stranded out in the middle of nowhere...or worse yet...burn up the engine.

Posted Image

Archived